body rotation to square the face

like most comments about golf swings, they can be taken too far and to an extreme. If the body is rotating poorly or not at all, and your trail hand dominant, then someone saying use more hands to square the face can lead to an even darker place of fatties and pull/hooks. a professional golfers results with a teacher and that of someone struggling to make decent contact and shoot 95 on a rec course should not be in the same paragraph in my opinion.

Homer Kelly couldn't break 80 to save his life...I've read his darn book a couple times and get mostly 'googlie gah gah' from it.

The golf swing is not a machine and the endless belt theory is an oversimplified and incorrect explanation.

That swing from Tiger 👆 looks like a post Haney, stall flip move that Hank cursed Tiger with. His early 2000's natural move was soooooo much better.

I've never read the TGM book , just understand some of the concepts like power accumulators, endless belt , etc . I think the endless belt is okay as a pragmatic explanation of release unless one wants to delve into inverse dynamics and discuss hand couples , moment of force/torque, moment of inertia, angular momentum, angular velocity, linear forces , angular/linear work , etc . To be fair , the physics of 'release' in the real golf swing is similar to PingMan and Iron Byron machines and many golf instructors still use 'Centrifugal Force ' as another pragmatic explanation (even some of the authors of several famous golf science books like TGM).

Yes , the TW swing is from a you tube video posted in 2006 but I don't think it was a stall and flip , more like overly rotation of the lead forearm through impact (high ROC ).

Can't see a flip in the images below , just a rolling of the lead forearm

1622848343794.png

Last edited:
like most comments about golf swings, they can be taken too far and to an extreme. If the body is rotating poorly or not at all, and your trail hand dominant, then someone saying use more hands to square the face can lead to an even darker place of fatties and pull/hooks. a professional golfers results with a teacher and that of someone struggling to make decent contact and shoot 95 on a rec course should not be in the same paragraph in my opinion.
^^^This^^^
You/ the forums starts discussing a certain aspect of the golf swing and people tend to isolate it say it is wrong/right.
I may have said or implied one part of the swing does this or that.
However, many things work together to make a complete golf swing and my experience tells me that the lower body rotation starts the good golf swing.
Then again, what is a good golf swing?
My main statement/concern/feelings is that the lower body rotation frees up/engages/ enhances the upper body rotation which enhances the arms and hands participation in the swing. It creates more power and aids in the process of squaring up the club face and smacking the ball.

That sounds like a bad solution. Could lead to flipping, and then you might have no idea where the ball is going. What you need to do is get your arms moving.
It's as bad a situation as relying on the body to square the face.

Wouldn't most instructors say that you shouldn't have to square the face at all? In a proper swing it should just be square the entire time.

Wouldn't most instructors say that you shouldn't have to square the face at all? In a proper swing it should just be square the entire time.
Well, sure. But I'm not robot. Crap happens and I have to deal with what my body is doing.

Agreed. For some of us, making a change is very, very difficult. I've yet to find an instructor who can help me get my weight shifted forward, for example. Instructors want to believe that anyone can develop proper mechanics and sadly, that just isn't the case. For us, minimizing and constantly fighting bad habits in an attempt to get to bogey golf are more realistic goals. Otherwise, we spend a lifetime chasing a swing we simple are incapable of learning.

Dustin Johnson has what they refer to as a shut position at the top of the backswing. His clubface is 60* open to his swing plane at the top. During his transition from backswing to downswing he externally rotates his right shoulder which opens the clubface further. He then needs to close the clubface during the second half of the downswing by 60+ * to square it to the swing plane before impact.
Only mechanical robots (machines) like ' iron Byron' have the club head square to the swing plane at all times.

Well, sure. But I'm not robot. Crap happens and I have to deal with what my body is doing.

Beat me to it! I think Iron Byron can do it, but I don't know about any human being.

Agreed. For some of us, making a change is very, very difficult. I've yet to find an instructor who can help me get my weight shifted forward, for example. Instructors want to believe that anyone can develop proper mechanics and sadly, that just isn't the case. For us, minimizing and constantly fighting bad habits in an attempt to get to bogey golf are more realistic goals. Otherwise, we spend a lifetime chasing a swing we simple are incapable of learning.

Good post! Not everyone is equally gifted as far as athletics are concerned. And, swinging a golf club properly is an athletic move! Growing up, I was a natural athlete. Games came easily to me. Then, I took up golf! Golf was hard! Golf was challenging! And it was just me. I think that's what I liked about it the most. I didn't have to depend upon teammates.

Back