Books Books and More Books

RoyalPeeps

Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Going on a reading binge. Currently reading Ben Hogan's 5 Lessons. Just ordered 4 more books.
Golf Books.JPG

Just finished 5 Lessons, think it's helping me a lot. Let us know how the others go.

Just finished 5 Lessons, think it's helping me a lot. Let us know how the others go.
Yeah I'm hoping I can learn a lot from Hogan's book.

Sounds like it’s winter time with all that reading! Let us know what you think of 5 Lessons. I’ve heard it come up in conversation a few times recently now and my curiosity is piqued.

Sounds like it’s winter time with all that reading! Let us know what you think of 5 Lessons. I’ve heard it come up in conversation a few times recently now and my curiosity is piqued.
Mileage may vary for readers. For me, with no lessons and being fairly new, getting my grip and stance right/consistent, visualizing the backswing plane, starting the downswing with my hips, and supinating the wrist have been game changers. Effortless power and a more inside-out swing. All things I've probably watched in a YouTube video but they made a lot more sense here.

It's a short read at 109 pages with lots of good illustrations so not much to lose. Might learn something new or you might just be impressed with Ben Hogan.

Mileage may vary for readers. For me, with no lessons and being fairly new, getting my grip and stance right/consistent, visualizing the backswing plane, starting the downswing with my hips, and supinating the wrist have been game changers. Effortless power and a more inside-out swing. All things I've probably watched in a YouTube video but they made a lot more sense here.

It's a short read at 109 pages with lots of good illustrations so not much to lose. Might learn something new or you might just be impressed with Ben Hogan.
I'm liking it so far. I have always been impressed with Hogan's effortless, perfect swing. Looking forward to taking it all in as my first golf book.

I'm liking it so far. I have always been impressed with Hogan's effortless, perfect swing. Looking forward to taking it all in as my first golf book.
I think that's nail on the head for me. Any time I've seen his swing, I think effortless and smooth. Might be some takeaways from the book then too! Thanks!

i read a tiger woods biography, now im half way through the second one. Same story twice.

I've just re-read Harry Vardon's "Complete Golfer" and I've started Ted Ray's"Inland Golf." Next up is J. H. Taylor "On Golf."
Old school, but fascinating. :)
"Inland Golf" is interesting. It's a book from 1913 that says, essentially, screw links courses, play inland (parkland) courses.
Five Lessons is in the hopper.

I recently read Hank Haneys book, “The Big Miss” about his time being Tiger’s coach. Not a lot of information that wasn’t already known, but a good insight into what being around Tiger was like.

I've read a lot of golf books over the years. Not so much for instruction, but for information, and general reading pleasure. Probably well over a couple 100 of them.

My five favorites are Swing The Club Head, (Earnest Jones) Hogans 5 Lessons, Pinick's Little Red Book, Golf For Dummies, and Total Golf by Tomasi and others.

I thought the book Golf For Dummies wasn't that bad of an instruction book for a beginner, since it dealt primarily with the basics of playing golf, in a very understandable manner..

I truly liked the info in Hogan's book. The only problem I found with it was, I wasn't Ben Hogan.

Pinick's book was just pure common sense. Just a great read from a guy who knew his stuff. You start reading it, and can't put it down.

Jones's book was all about just swinging the club head, and let everything else fall into place. This was my swing instructor's philosophy too. That, with a little de la Torre thrown in.

The Total Golf book is jammed packed with info, and pictures that encompass most all areas of the game of golf.

I've also read some of the newer, modern (scientific) books on playing golf. They are not bad, but for the most part, they are just a rehash of older info, just worded differently. Ego boosters I call them.

41XlbYKRheL._AC_SY400_.jpg
I thought this one was a good one for the mental side.

Daly's book, along with Haney's, was interesting.

If you can get your hands on it, a copy of Who's Your Caddy? by Rick Reilly has some pretty funny stories in it.

Penick is spectacular in the little red book.

He's also got a blue and a green book which are very much worth the read.
I read Penick’s “And if you play golf, you’re my friend” and thought it was fun and interesting. It’s just short stories and thoughts from his career in golf and has very little instruction. It was a good read.

I read Penick’s “And if you play golf, you’re my friend” and thought it was fun and interesting. It’s just short stories and thoughts from his career in golf and has very little instruction. It was a good read.
I'm a sucker for a good story, and that man? Full of them.

Definitely a different direction.

41XlbYKRheL._AC_SY400_.jpg
I thought this one was a good one for the mental side.
I've got some free credits for audio books so I just dropped one on this. Can some of the mental things be applied to life outside of golf?

Also just purchased Little Red Book. Hoping to learn a bit from these, I'll report back once I get around to 'em.

I've got some free credits for audio books so I just dropped one on this. Can some of the mental things be applied to life outside of golf?
Probably so. It’s pretty golf specific though. It wasn’t a mind blowing game changer for me, but I have adopted some of the lessons and they have been a help on the course. I also think that book has plenty of re-read value. I read it over the summer but I’m thinking of going back to it while I’m not playing as much in the winter.

Going on a reading binge. Currently reading Ben Hogan's 5 Lessons. Just ordered 4 more books.
View attachment 8987025
Palmer's book was good and so was Haney's.
I actually have a signed autographed Paperback of the Haney's book.
He was at a Golfsmith locally one Saturday and I stopped in listen to his show being done live and there was an option to buy a book and he would sign it.

I bought "Tiger Woods: How I Play Golf" and "Andrew's Essential Guide to Beginners Golf" recently. Looking forward to reading them.

I've read plenty of golf instruction books but also really enjoy this one.

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 4.00.34 PM.png

Been reading through George Knudson's The Natural Golf Swing. I feel like when it comes to ball striking his theories/instruction is really a solid progression from Hogan's Five Lessons. I highly recommend a read through on it. He was heavily inspired/influenced by Hogan and his book compliments Five Lessons very well. Rereading of Five Lessons and Zen Golf is on deck.

Back