Books Books and More Books

Hogan’s 5 Lessons - the fundamentals are explained so exquisitely plus those wonderful drawings

Penick’s Little Red Book - so many great lessons with simple non-technical explanations. The one about hitting chip shots as if you were keeping the ball under a coffeee table still stays with me.

A Course Called Ireland - is there any better book to read before travelling to Ireland.

A Good Walk Spoiled - a fun read

A Season In Dornoch - I tried but maybe you have to travel to Dornoch to truly appreciate this book

Last edited:
So just finished reading Ben Hogan's Five Lessons. I have learn so much reading this book and can't wait to try and put what he teaches into action. My questions to others that have read his book.

1. Do you use his stance position for your feet? He says to have your right foot square to the line and your left foot is pointed out a quarter turn. I see most people with either both feet square to the line or duck foot (toes on left foot turned left and right foot turns out right.

2. On ball and foot position. How many do this like he taught? Ball always a half to an inch inside the left heel and move the right foot at the line for 5 iron, inward and forward of the line for shorter irons and back and outside of the line for longer clubs?

Think next book with be the Little Red Book.

Hogan’s 5 Lessons - the fundamentals are explained so exquisitely plus those wonderful drawings

Penick’s Little Red Book - so many great lessons with simple non-technical explanations. The one about hitting chip shots as if you were keeping the ball under a coffeee table still stays with me.

A Course Called Ireland - is there any better book to read before travelling to Ireland.

A Good Walk Spoiled - a fun read

A Season In Dornoch - I tried but maybe you have to travel to Dornoch to truly appreciate this book
Little Red Book just arrived. Looking forward to it.

in the past six months i've been able to acquire a few lots of older golf books - its been interesting to see the old versus new trends and where the timeline commonalities in thinking, tech, process and form exist - now trying to get through them all

I’m reading Pat Ruddy’s Fifty Years in a Bunker. Gosh I wish I could play golf in Ireland.
It's a very good experience, both in terms of golf, but also in terms of people and culture - it also helps if you enjoy an alcoholic beverage or two :) Living there for eight years was a very interesting and beneficial experience that I highly recommend, regardless of duration

Also just purchased Little Red Book. Hoping to learn a bit from these, I'll report back once I get around to 'em.
It's a good read. Super easy and quick. Lot's of no duh stuff. But also a lot of stuff that hackers don't think about that probably would help.

Get the Curt Sampson Book on Hogan.

I read it about 12 yrs ago or so

I like golf architecture books.

The Match is the best golf book you can get. Definitely must have.

Awesome. I'll check them out. Thanks.
Shackleford can get a little dogmatic and “I am smarter than everyone else” at times.. he is a huge roll back supporter but his course and design knowledge is top notch.

The Match is the best golf book you can get. Definitely must have.
Yeah I have it. Prob gonna read it after the Little Red Book, which I started last night after I finished Hogan's book.

I enjoyed The Match & The Grand Slam. Hogan is great as well. Not instruction books but pretty ok.
Also recommend Tommy’s Honour. Great old school story.

I enjoyed The Match & The Grand Slam. Hogan is great as well. Not instruction books but pretty ok.
Also recommend Tommy’s Honour. Great old school story.
I made a Golf Book List on Amazon and just keep adding books to it. LOL.

This was a joke white elephant gift one year but man is it good and right on the money :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• 20210115_071842.jpg
    20210115_071842.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 4
Forgot about this read, thought I should give my updates.

Finished Little Red Book, and really enjoyed it. Things that should have been obvious like starting the downswing with the hips and bowing the lead wrist were eureka moments the way the book explained it and huge for my game.

Also purchased Tiger Woods How I Play Golf as a recommendation from my friend who is an amazing golfer. He said that was the book that he learned on. I'll report back on how it is.

1614139171945.png

Back