Boothbay Harbor CC (Maine) - pics/impressions

kenh

Over the top
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
short game
I played the front nine of the Boothbay Harbor CC in Boothbay Maine on July 3rd (http://www.boothbayharborcc.com) so here are some thoughts and pics from my quick round.

This course was apparently taken over by a new owner recently and there are signs everywhere that significant work is being put into improving the course. For example, all of the carts appear brand new. The parking lot was freshly paved, the clubhouse had new landscaping and decking and even the tee markers/on-course marker stakes looked new too. The staff was VERY friendly and service was quick and efficient. There is currently no driving range or even a putting green but they're building a driving range across the road so that should be taken care of by next year.

[ Edit: Article from local paper about the new owner and what he's doing with the place here: http://www.boothbayregister.com/article/if-you-build-it/15358 ]

This is a semi-private course, non-members can reserve tee times and visit the dining room starting at 1PM.

The course itself looks great to the eye and seemed well cared for. I consider it to be on the challenging side without being punishingly difficult. The greens tend to be small so you needed to be accurate with your approach shots and overall I would say the course is on the short side.

The only significant negative that I found while playing was that the course didn't seem to have drained well from the rains from the previous few days. One of my playing partners wound up with a completely plugged ball in the fairway and I had a ball come to rest where the ground below was so waterlogged that the grass actually rippled when I tapped my club with it .. never seen that before!

The weather was gray when I arrived but by the time we reached the green on the first hole it was clearing up and turned into a great day to play weather-wise.

Overall, I think that this course is definitely worth playing if you're in the area.

Pictures follow:

1st tee (foreground) and 18th green from the clubhouse. The area under construction in the distance is where the new driving range will apparently be.

1.jpg

1st green, from where I wound up left of the fairway.

2.jpg

2nd green:

3.jpg

3rd tee, uphill par-4 dogleg to the right.

4.jpg

5th hole tee, this is a shortish par-4 that may be driveable but you can't see the creek that runs across the fairway along the bottom of the hill.

5.jpg

Looking back from the 5th green where you can see the creek.

6.jpg

7th green:

7.jpg

8th hole from the tee. The green is in the trees across the way.
8.jpg

9th tee, par-5 starting to the right of the trees in this photo.

9.jpg

Midway through the 9th hole looking up toward the green.

10.jpg

Looking back toward the clubhouse:
11.jpg

18th green, looking back toward the 18th fairway (left of the water) and the 9th fairway beyond.

12.jpg

Another view from the 18th green of the 1st hole tees/fairway on the left with the clubhouse/parking lot to the right.

13.jpg

Last edited:
Back