Boring golf part 2

GoldenBuff

slow horse
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
i am working to take some of the rodeo ride thrills and spills out of my game. This winter is a time to work on a more dialed in swing and testing options to bring in more consistency and strategy to my game. One of the things I am testing is simply notching down the swing speed across the board. Shockingly, dispersion is looking better. My coach says quality of strike is king. My immature brain chases swing and ball speed numbers. The battle is on.

How about you? Amp it up or reign it in for a little more of the boring side?

I’m aiming to make things as boring as possible. Playing cowboy has not been good for scoring and I too find myself chasing speed - if a nice relaxed swing got me good results I’d better really step into the next one for even better results right?! My coach has been drilling tempo, tempo, tempo and on the range it works! Now I have to work on bringing that same tempo onto the first tee box.

I would say when your mechanics are correct and your swing is in the right groove, the swing feels almost effortless. I think swing speed is still up there paired with better contact. One thing my coach has told me is to swing 80% if I start hitting poor shots.

I'm all about the "boring" side, wish I could get my game there! I don't need to explore as many remote corners of the course as I currently do. :LOL:

When I slow my swing down a bit and shorten my backswing, my dispersion gets better and I don't lose much (if any) distance because I'm hitting the sweet spot more often. The problem is that I do it, start hitting the ball better, and then start speeding up and reaching further back on the backswing to get a liiiitle bit more, and the whole cycle begins again.

I would love to play boring golf but I always find myself in situations where I have to play with some magic. All in all having a pretty good day yesterday on the golf course. I was playing better than my handicap and minus some interactions in the desert or sand it was pretty boring. I then get to hole 15 and I hit a pretty good drive that I was strutting afterwards. lol I get to my ball and the folks I am playing with told me I have a bad break. The ball is on the lip of the bunker so I would have to stand in the bunker and hit the ball that is somewhat buried in rough. The ball would be around my knees. I didn't think twice about it I grabbed my 4i and walked over the ball. I kinda scoped where I want the ball to go set up backwards and with 1 hand swiped at the ball and it went a little too far across the fairway but it was in a place I could play from. As I walked back to my push cart I gave @mtbloco and @Triple Frak a quick smirk as that shot is so much fun to play in front of people. @mtbloco told me I was just trying to show off.....maybe. :ROFLMAO:

Screenshot_20220116-103033.jpg

Because I play links golf. A fade on a windy day will just kill you, it will hold up and just die in the air. So I have started swinging like Tommy Fleetwood, little sawn off shots. I’ve lost no distance but have gained more confidence on hitting the ball straight or a little draw. The bad shot has become the left side but at least your taking the right side of the course out… the great thing with this swing is that you can just hold the face open and it creates a little fade on still days.

It’s transformed my game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boring golf for me, I want to hit my targets and play smart. Smooth tempo, good contact makes the ball go well and with good results.

For my boring golf, I am trying to really just keep tempo in my mind. Push it, but keep the tempo.

I honestly feel like as soon as I purposefully try to "tone it down", that things get bad. If I am trying to be fast but smooth, then things work much better.

In short, here are the 4 main things I'm focusing on.

1. Stay focused on a spot on the ball with left eye throughout swing until after impact. If I truly stay focused, everything seems to sync up better.
2. Slow to moderate tempo in backswing (I literally count 1-2-3), keep left arm straight, and keep right elbow close to body.
3. Straighten left wrist at top of backswing and keep in the downswing to keep face square to target.
4. Focus that right arm should aim straight at target in the follow through. This helps with swing path as I have a tendency to swing around my body and hit the ball left. If I get this right, I finish high.

I think the game of golf is supposed to be boring. I mean look at it. The whole idea of golf, is to shoot the lowest score possible for 18 holes.

When properly played, it's just fairways, and greens. A great drive, 1, or 2 great approach shots from the fairway, and then finishing up with 1, or 2 putts.

Where's the "long term" fun in that? Especially if you are not playing for millions of dollars.

(excuse my factitious ness...lol)

I don't mind the errant shots in my game. In fact I expect them. Recovering from them (or not) is fun for me. I also like the great (for me) shots I sometimes hit.

Most of my practices are geared towards hitting balls from poor lies. Poor lies I see when playing.

I don't know about most amateurs, but I can't keep my good swing going for more than a few holes at a time. Very few are consecutive good swings.

In a nut shell, I like shooting low scores, and my practices are geared towards saving strokes.

I have played stretches of boring golf. It may not stick for a full 18, but they’re out there. What works for me is not slowing my swing, but focusing on being smooth. I tested letting my backswing flow at my normal tempo and that seemed to help. The less I force a change to my swing tempo or speed the better I swing. If I can force myself to stick to a preshot routine every shot I think I can get a full round of boring golf in.

I think more about swing length than speed for this. Shorter is simpler. Not always slower though.

i am working to take some of the rodeo ride thrills and spills out of my game. This winter is a time to work on a more dialed in swing and testing options to bring in more consistency and strategy to my game. One of the things I am testing is simply notching down the swing speed across the board. Shockingly, dispersion is looking better. My coach says quality of strike is king. My immature brain chases swing and ball speed numbers. The battle is on.

Gotta coach, Why? Listen.

I've been given the golf nickname "Boring" dozens of times. It happened again on Friday playing with three guys I'd never played with before. So, perhaps I have some credibility to say what boring golf looks like. IMO...

BORING GOLF IS...
- Striking the ball solidly and in the intended direction with great regularity (lots of FIRs and GIRs)
- High percentage of up and downs that look incredibly routine
- First putts seem to always be around or in the hole
- Lots and lots of pars or better
- Unexpected poor shots are rare and when they do happen are usually followed by solid shots limiting the damage to bogie at worst.

I think more about swing length than speed for this. Shorter is simpler. Not always slower though.

I was thinking the same thing. I saw a video of John Rahm swinging driver and realized he had kind of a short backswing, but was bombing drives. I decided to try that with my driver and it has made a noticeable difference in accuracy and I'm not losing much distance. Shorter back swing and focus on accelerating through the ball. Shorter is definitely simpler.

I was thinking the same thing. I saw a video of John Rahm swinging driver and realized he had kind of a short backswing, but was bombing drives. I decided to try that with my driver and it has made a noticeable difference in accuracy and I'm not losing much distance. Shorter back swing and focus on accelerating through the ball. Shorter is definitely simpler.
Rahm is a pretty extreme example, but yeah it can definitely limit what can go wrong, improve strike consistency, and partly because of that play close to the same distance. That last little bit we all strive for has kind of a crazy effort curve. Takes a lot to get a little when you're near your potential on your base swing, and introduces more inconsistency in the process usually.

Let's be boring and consistent, but have many laughs on the course.

I might have to take this to heart. Shot one of my best rounds in the last three/four months in the cold, when all I was really trying to do was hit little sawed off shots and go for a nice walk chasing around a little ball. I think there is a takeaway for me there…

Can't do boring golf unless it's competitive golf. I lose focus and kinda snooze a bit :/

Boring golf is scoring golf. That's the way I look at it.

I play 90 percent of my golf on my home CC course. I’m spending the winter months mapping out strategies for club selection and shot placement on each hole.

Part of that, of course, is deciding which specific clubs are in the bag. So, that gives me room for club tweaks and new purchases. :)

The goal is to be in full command of equipment and course strategy by spring in order to play BORING, low handicap golf from mid-March forward.

Quality strikes and tight dispersion - and a hot putter - should do the trick.

Wait, I take back my answer. Boooo boring golf!!!

AMP

IT

UP!! 🤘💪⚡🔥

Catching back up. After a warm up session, I played Coeur d'Alene on the sim today, one tee up from the tips. Autoputt to speed up play. 71.8. I followed @OldandStiff's advice with shorter swing length and kept the same easy tempo. Very enjoyable round, one of the most boring I have played sim or real. That course is a good test for my game. I would say the biggest change for me was mindset. Swing speeds were typical for me. Control was notably improved. Of course, on a real course, I have to putt. :p

@Muchmore18 hurry up and get the new clubs so we can play together! 💪

Catching back up. After a warm up session, I played Coeur d'Alene on the sim today, one tee up from the tips. Autoputt to speed up play. 71.8. I followed @OldandStiff's advice with shorter swing length and kept the same easy tempo. Very enjoyable round, one of the most boring I have played sim or real. That course is a good test for my game. I would say the biggest change for me was mindset. Swing speeds were typical for me. Control was notably improved. Of course, on a real course, I have to putt. :p

@Muchmore18 hurry up and get the new clubs so we can play together! 💪
Man, I'm crossing all my fingers hoping to have them sooner rather than later lol

In an effort to improve I have embraced Old man golf. Keep it in the fairway and don't take needless penalties.
It may not be exciting but having a shot at Par or the occasional Birdy is exciting enough for me!
If I try to play like my Long hitting partners it won't end well. Better to just play my game.

Back