smgoldstein

2022 Goat Cupper
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was really psyched to watch this U.S. Open, a course I have played several times, nice fall weather. Turned out it felt like the John Deere Classic to me. Was it BDC's big lead down the stretch, lack of a New Yawk crowd, or the repetitive Bryson story lines but I felt the Open had no juice to it. Only thing worse was switching to football and watching the Jets.

I think some of it was the way that BDC played down the stretch when everyone else faded. I was excited after both Bryson and Wolff made eagle on 9 but then Wolff couldn't keep it going. Bryson just sucked the air out of it with great golr.

I enjoyed this major. I had Bryson in a pickem bet so that may have made it more interesting. Watching Wolff rise and fall was entertaining even though I cannot stand his swing. Xander had a shot but the eagles by Wolff and Bryson were too much and he faded down the stretch.

I think it was a mix of the venue and the lack of fans. You can't begin US Open week, showing off these ridiculously firm and fast greens and rough as much as a foot long on some parts of the course, and then having 27? people shoot under par in the first round? Yes, they recovered the rest of the weekend, but man. That's a tough look to come back from.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Bryson hold that big lead down the stretch. I didn’t think there was anything boring about him outplaying everyone and the course by coming in with all pars to close out the tournament.

i was a little disappointed in Wolff's play but was also glad to see Brybeaux get a major.

We must not have watched the same event. It was incredibly entertaining. What Bryson did was pure excellence. He was the only golfer under par at the end and the only golfer to shoot under par Sunday. While being in the final group.. I am not sure what else you were looking for.

We must not have watched the same event. It was incredibly entertaining. What Bryson did was pure excellence. He was the only golfer under par at the end and the only golfer to shoot under par Sunday. While being in the final group.. I am not sure what else you were looking for.

Agreed here - thought it was great.

I liked it. I didn't like the coverage switched networks and channels though. I could have done without that.

I think it was different but in a good way. I enjoyed watching it and I turned the commentary low or muted most of time with some music or podcasts. The lack of crowd noise was noticed here.

I enjoyed having it on but it became a bit of a bore fest as Sunday went on. Bryson was great to watch. However, when he wasn’t on TV it wasn’t much fun watching everyone else fading. I was hoping for somebody to turn it on the back 9 And make it interesting.

I was really psyched to watch this U.S. Open, a course I have played several times, nice fall weather. Turned out it felt like the John Deere Classic to me. Was it BDC's big lead down the stretch, lack of a New Yawk crowd, or the repetitive Bryson story lines but I felt the Open had no juice to it. Only thing worse was switching to football and watching the Jets.

Of all that you stated, I am most sorry for you because you watched the Jets. As for the golf, I too felt something was missing yesterday other than the crowd. Wolff's falling out of contention certainly changed things. And the fact that the leader / winner is somewhat of a polarizing figure probably had an effect also.

I’m with you @smgoldstein
Actually texted a friend during the back nine that this tournament is boring. I know difficulty is the US Open’s “thing” but watching everyone grind for pars and bogeys is not exciting to me. I realize this is not a popular take on the US Open. Seems like anytime a tournament lacks multiple storylines, especially in the final round, there is just nothing for the broadcast to focus on except that one angle. I turned it off with 4 or 5 holes to play because cleaning up the back porch and adding air to my wife’s van tires seemed more exciting than finishing the tournament.

It was super boring, worst ever! Plus, the players at the top are terrible to watch. The PGA has to make sure that this doesn't happen again. Bryson has to be tested for drugs. He's so loaded up with PED's it's incredible.

I enjoyed it. The first round was more like a Masters or PGA scoring wise so I was pretty disappointed about that. The others 3 rounds turned back into a typical U.S. Open. Bryson was just better than everybody else throughout the tournament so you can't fault the man for that. The fact that everyone else was Even or over par proves it was a stern U.S. Open test, as it should be for a major IMO.

I was golfing with our AZ THP crew yesterday, but I don't understand how it could have been boring, considering that Wolff and Bryson were battling all through the front 9, BOTH eagled 9, and made the turn with 1 stroke separating them. Yeah, by 14 it was virtually over, but it was a highly entertaining weekend of golf, and won in truly impressive fashion.

Also, let's consider a reversed Sunday: Bryson fades to start the round and Wolff has a 4-5 shot lead all day Sunday. THAT would have been boring.

John Deere classic when the winning score was -6 and nobody shot under Par besides 1 player on Sunday?

I like it. I think the crowds not being there hurts. It feels sterile without the fans. I am not saying I miss hearing someone yell stupid **** out after each tee shot but it feels like the emotion is missing.

Get Tiger back in front and he will make it exciting. The next major Tiger needs to be in the final group, him and Koepka, Fowler too. No more boring cheating players in the final few groups on Sunday. If there are boring cheaters on Sunday then I won't watch.

I liked it when the caddy said f*ck when a terrible shot was made by the player. Cool language that isn't typically heard.

Who was that loser who took 6 putts on 18? He sucks.

I just checked out the guy and he quit after all those putts. What a wimp.

I enjoyed it a lot.

Crowd missing and some extra drama down the stretch is what was missing.

I guess more people would have been interested if Byrson shat the bed down the stretch but he just played boring old Par golf coming into the clubhouse. I'll blame the rest of the field for making it "boring"

It was a very different US Open in many ways, but I think it was engaging and showcased amazing golf. I enjoyed it. Could it be better? Yes. Everything can improve, always, and 2020 is a bizarre year on top of that.

i liked it. winged foot seemed to have the ability to jump up and bite these guys at any minute, so for awhile it felt like bryson's lead wasn't secure.

i didn't find this any less boring than the majors brooks won. if it's not tiger or phil or rory running away with the major, i find it somewhat boring when a guy has a big lead and there's no drama down the stretch.

the bryson hyperbole is to be expected. what else are the announcers going to talk about for hours on end if nobody is making a charge? i'm sure they're desperate to talk about something else, but there no other interesting storylines.

Back