Boston Golf / Food

PKorf

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
0-10
Just found out ill be in Boston August 17-20. Im hopping on the coattails of my wifes business trip. They are staying @ Royal Sonesta Boston.

Im looking to bring my clubs and play at least once on the 18-19th. The difficulty? I have no car haha. She doesnt need one and im not flopping down $700 for a three day rental for a ford focus. Wondering what some great places to play would be within a reasonable distance from where im staying.

Secondly, Food........I love me some chowder as many of you know. So, throw me some really good food spots within an uber distance of East Cambridge on the river. It can be anything....but need some good chowder.

THIRDLY........anyone wanna play? lol....

Boston is a pretty cool place to visit, especially if you're a history buff. Can't help you with the golf. I'm not passionate about New England Clam Chowder, but one of our favorite places is the Union Oyster House - again with the history.

Agreed. Union oyster house is very good.
But, favorite of mine is Summer Shack in Cambridge. Great seafood. Really great atmosphere and good prices.

Agreed. Union oyster house is very good.
But, favorite of mine is Summer Shack in Cambridge. Great seafood. Really great atmosphere and good prices.

We go to Boston on occasion, so I am taking notes. Another place we enjoyed is Atlantic Fish Company in the Back Bay.

Boston is a pretty cool place to visit, especially if you're a history buff. Can't help you with the golf. I'm not passionate about New England Clam Chowder, but one of our favorite places is the Union Oyster House - again with the history.

We go to Boston on occasion, so I am taking notes. Another place we enjoyed is Atlantic Fish Company in the Back Bay.

It's also great that it's not a long trip. Haven't been to Boston in a few years. Mike's Pastry Shop in the North End is a favorite of my wife and daughter.

I have been to Union Oyster House numerous times. I agree as far as the history of both the restaurant and the city. One place I went to a few years back was the Barking Crab in the Seaport District. Decent food and a very casual outdoor experience. It was under a big tent.

The only thing I e read about Union Oyster is that the chowder is good but it’s a pretty bad tourist trap.

The only thing I e read about Union Oyster is that the chowder is good but it’s a pretty bad tourist trap.
100% tourist trap. And definitely on the pricey side, But it is always good.

Union is great and a classic. Royal Sonesta is across the river from the North End so think about grabbing some food at an institution like Strega and then heading to Mike's or Modern (personally I like Modern cannoli better and the tourists typically flock to Mikes).

Unfortunately you won't be too close to much in the way of golf. Small urban 9 hole muni in Cambridge called Fresh Pond isn't far nor are Braintree (down I-93) or Putterham (Brookline next to the Country Club). Perhaps someone can score you an invite to TCC. You could take the red line subway and a bus to Braintree Golf if you are particularly adventurous.

There are two city course, famed George Wright in Hyde Park which will be a hike or Franklin Park's Devine course. Wright is better. Franklin Park would involve an interesting and cultural subway train ride if you are interested as well. Best to uber or lyft to the course.

Union is great and a classic. Royal Sonesta is across the river from the North End so think about grabbing some food at an institution like Strega and then heading to Mike's or Modern (personally I like Modern cannoli better and the tourists typically flock to Mikes).

Unfortunately you won't be too close to much in the way of golf. Small urban 9 hole muni in Cambridge called Fresh Pond isn't far nor are Braintree (down I-93) or Putterham (Brookline next to the Country Club). Perhaps someone can score you an invite to TCC. You could take the red line subway and a bus to Braintree Golf if you are particularly adventurous.

There are two city course, famed George Wright in Hyde Park which will be a hike or Franklin Park's Devine course. Wright is better. Franklin Park would involve an interesting and cultural subway train ride if you are interested as well. Best to uber or lyft to the course.

appreciate the info! I’m not opposed to traveling or unerring if it’s worth the tide. I’ll gladly pay 💰 to play somewhere awesome if anyone can get me on but that’s a pretty long shot lol

appreciate the info! I’m not opposed to traveling or unerring if it’s worth the tide. I’ll gladly pay 💰 to play somewhere awesome if anyone can get me on but that’s a pretty long shot lol
Forgot to mention Granite Links I. Quincy. Picturesque weaving around an old quarry and views of the city but usually very busy and on the pricey side for what it is

Forgot to mention Granite Links I. Quincy. Picturesque weaving around an old quarry and views of the city but usually very busy and on the pricey side for what it is
I can get on Blue Hill CC…and probably TPC

BHCC isn't too far! TPC is nice on the long side but almost marsh-parkland style. Played it once. TPC will be about an hour most likely in the car.

Must not be a lot of Bostonians on THP lol

Only been there once but I will give another shout out to Mikes Pastry Shop:love:

BHCC is a nice track and inside of 30 minutes with no traffic. TPC will be at least 45 minutes and is a very nice track as well.

George Wright is very close. Interestingly I have never played there but it is a classic Donald Ross and supposed to be a great play.

For food I don’t go into Boston very much. You can pretty much go to anywhere in the North End and the food is quite good. One of my friends who lives in Boston is a big fan of Mistral.

Unfortunately I have a lot going on at work that week already or I would pick you up and take you down to my club but it is about an 1:15 away from Boston with no traffic.

Unfortunately I have a lot going on at work that week already or I would pick you up and take you down to my club but it is about an 1:15 away from Boston with no traffic.

Appreciate that! I something frees up and you have the time, ill gladly pay for gas and some food! Thanks for the info!

I got you… send me a message.

Whereabouts do you play?

There is a lot of great food in Boston. As others have said the North End is good. Chart House and other restaurants down by Aquarium. Wish I could golf that weekend but got to move son back into apartment for college.

Have a great time and hope the weather is good.

Turns out im going to have a car now as the rental car market plummeted. so......with that said, WHERE TO?

Looks like we are just going to miss each other. I am in Boston now through Sunday the 15th on vaca visiting my wifes family. Have a great time!

Looks like we are just going to miss each other. I am in Boston now through Sunday the 15th on vaca visiting my wifes family. Have a great time!
Thnks man! Wouldve been nice to have met up. Glad im going to have a vehicle now.....

so I scored a cheapish car……where to? Lol

so I scored a cheapish car……where to? Lol

Honestly, see if you can score a single time up at Cape Arundel in Maine. It’s only an hour 15ish from Boston, so worth it. President Bush plays there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back