buckeyewalt

Reaction score
Handicap
I thought I would share this because I usually don't see that much on iron bounce other than wedges.
In the last 10 years I've had 3 sets of irons. My last set was PXG 0211 which I basically bought un-tested except for a 6i that I purchased from PXG as a "tester". I was very impressed with the 0211 especially the MMT shaft and everything fit and swung well so I purchased the rest of the irons to make up a set. One thing I noticed during my time with the 6i was that I was hitting a little thin on the lower part of the grooves. It was still carrying well and the feel was great so I really didn't pay too much attention to it. Been playing this set for about 4-5 months and consistently I've been hitting the lower grooves on the irons and it was bothering me to the point I was starting to question my swing. My swing is basically a sweeper type. Saturday I was cleaning up my clubs and saw one of my old set of 714 AP1 irons. I was hitting those extremely well until my tennis elbow started to bother me, so I went with CF16 to replace them. Anyway, I set the AP! down and it just set-up perfectly. Thought what the heck, I'll swing these and compare them to my PXG. Well, I can tell you the difference was amazing. I was center hitting the Titleist virtually every time and switching to the PXG, was back to my thin bottom few grooves. WTF, I looked at the irons, both set-up the same, swing was the same, length was the same, something was different. Went home and looked up the specs Everything was the same(almost) except for the bounce. My PXG 7i had 9* of bounce and my AP1 had 3* of bounce.

Now that you've heard my long story, is it possible that my swing is more geared to a lower bounce iron?

Back