I keep on bowling the best I have in my life. I'm really having fun and the confidence on the lanes are at an all time high. We had our City Tournament over the last few weeks and as I mentioned above, I bowled my tail off. Well, the tournament wrapped up over the last weekend and I found out at league on Wednesday that I ended up winning the Overall All Event Champion, by almost 100 pins! I live in a small town, so it's not like I'm taking home a ton of cash, but it's still a feather in my cap.

As for league on Wednesday....I threw a 209-267-237 for a 713 series. My second 700+ series in two weeks. Prior to that I had three in my life, but countless 600 series. So, now my goal is an 800 series, which you all know is a feat in itself with a 267 average per game to get there. I think our small town house record is 793.

My average is now up to 195, maybe a little higher with this 713 on the books.
Great bowling, keep it up!

The 800 will sneak up on you when you least expect it. One day you will be on the lanes and everything will just go your way. Don't get too excited when you get past the 2nd game and are needing a good 3rd one. Scoreboard watching is not what you want to do here. You got this! It will happen. 👊

After the weather we had last week and just about everything closed down, we were back at league last night. We voted to extend the league 1 week since the center supports us and adds money to the prize fund for the league.

We were on the toughest pair in the house. One hooks like crazy and the other is the tightest ever, so you have to be cognizant of where you are targeting.

Needless to say, carry was extremely tough with lots of single pin leaves. 7 10 pins and 6 4 pins on the night :oops:
With each lane so different, it was hard to get any strings going.

194-212-213-206 = 825

I decided to add a new ball to the lineup and order the new Motiv Purple Tank.

pt.jpg

It'll be my go to ball for when the lanes are really dry right out of the gate and also when things dry up to fast into the end of the 2nd and 3 games....and also to an extra spare ball set up.

Very nice Jay. Hope it works out for you. I know a few Motiv staffers and they really like that ball.

One thing I have never had a good experience with is a light oil ball. Seems every time I decide to get one, the danged thing hooks more than my heavy oil balls :ROFLMAO:

Started the night out last night with an absolute bang!!

300 #14 to start things off!!! 🔥🔥🔥

Followed that up with a 269 game 2 and was just in a groove and was feeling pretty good.

Game 3 begins OK, and then half way through one of the lanes decides to dump all pins from pin setter and blacks out. Wait for 20 minutes for mechanic to correct the issue and get us back up and bowling. The delay seemed to have cooled me off, but that is no excuse. Finished the game with a 211.

Game 4 I was getting warmed back up again and finished with 227.

All in all a great night. 300 games seems to just sneak up on you when you least expect it. Did not have a great look until my last shot during practice which thankfully lined me up for the beginning of the night.

300-269-211-227 = 1007

Had a decent night on Wednesday.

Started with a 201, trying to figure out line. Finished with 3 in a row to get it. Then game two I started with 7 in a row and one of the guys from the team we're bowling against walks by pats me on the back and says, "Great game so far James, keep it up." The look I gave my teammates....who does that? I wanted to punch him in face! Next frame, yeah, pocket 7 pin...frame after that....pocket 10 pin. COME ON! I ended up with a 257.

Third game, I couldn't get anything to fall...it was just gone. I threw a 193 for a 651 series. I'm not complaining about the series, just some parts of it, as I've never thrown a 300 as of yet.

Craziest part...we started the night 1.5 games up, and we were bowling against the 2nd place team. They're all good bowlers, probably the only team that gives US handicap. They bowled their a$$eS off and took 3 out of 4 from us. So, now we're a 1/2 game out. Their anchor threw a 299 (little light across the head pin on his last throw....pocket 10) to finish his 3rd.

@vdubtx I'm looking forward to my new Motiv Tank. Should be here in a week hopefully. Our lanes are a little crazy and tend to be dry or dry by the end of the 2nd game, so I figured what the heck. Congrats on the 300!

Started the night out last night with an absolute bang!!

300 #14 to start things off!!! 🔥🔥🔥

Followed that up with a 269 game 2 and was just in a groove and was feeling pretty good.

Game 3 begins OK, and then half way through one of the lanes decides to dump all pins from pin setter and blacks out. Wait for 20 minutes for mechanic to correct the issue and get us back up and bowling. The delay seemed to have cooled me off, but that is no excuse. Finished the game with a 211.

Game 4 I was getting warmed back up again and finished with 227.

All in all a great night. 300 games seems to just sneak up on you when you least expect it. Did not have a great look until my last shot during practice which thankfully lined me up for the beginning of the night.

300-269-211-227 = 1007
Congrats on the 300!

This season has been really rough. I shot a 629 series 3 weeks ago, but other than that I've had 6 weeks of really bad bowling.

Crazy night last night. Threw a 184-199-266 for a 650. We lost the first game by just under 40 pins, lost the 2nd game by just over 100 pins and won the third game by just under 200 pins to split the series 2-2. That 266 started with a pocket 8 pin spare....then 8 in a row....then in the 10th another pocket 8 pin spare and a crap throw 7. The games that could have been.

Finally got me new Motiv Purple Tank in and drilled. I got to throw it for the first time last night. Had it drilled for a moderate backend....with the pin over and to the right of my ring finger. For the first urethane ball I've had in years, I'm pleasantly surprised with it so far. The house shot we have tends to dry really quick, so to stay in the middle on the oil is helpful and the shallow attack this ball gives is nice. I don't feel like I have to over throw it to keep it where I want it. Yet, when I crank on it, it will move really well on the dry, more aggressively than I thought it would. With that said, if I take my wrist out of the throw it won't move but maybe 4 boards. So, I think I have a real winner on my hands. I didn't get much practice out of the box, but I decided I would throw it all night just to get a feel for it. I threw a 198 - 155 - 234 : 587....and we still won all three games plus total.

I was told a few other guys were watching to see how I liked it on our lanes, so we'll see what next week brings.

Looks like I may be coming out of my slump. After a 160-something in the first game last week, I've thrown five straight 190+ games including a 255 in my final game tonight and a 647 series.

Finally next week we get to bowl the second week! First week was in October, so looking forward to how I bowl. was my 660 series a fluke or can i repeat?

Last few weeks have still been shooting pretty good.

Series of 883, 852, 934

Our league is split into 1/3's for the season, our team took 1st place for our 2nd 1/3 of the season!! We are in the playoffs at end of season that will determine the winner of the league. Being in the playoffs also opens up the opportunity to make a bunch more money. Our prize fund is set so playoffs are heavily weighted with extra money that our center puts in for the league. 🤑🤑🤑

Seems every time I roll a 300, I feel like getting a new ball. Picked up a 900 Global Zen. Have seen some people rolling it during league and also seeing so many pro's rolling it really well. Picked up last week but didnt have chance to use it yet. Will see how it goes with it this week. (y)

Pulled two rocks out of storage to go bowling with my wife, daughter, and daughter's boyfriend. Hadn't thrown a ball in 5 years. Cleaned up the Storm IQ Tour and a DV8. Ended up glow bowling. No warmup and shoot a sparkling 107. Second game shot 213 and all was right with the world. Things are really changing in the bowling:

1. No one waits for the next lane to clear. I used to be "that guy" that gave two-lane courtesy (high-end leagues). I get open bowling is different, but safety is still important. The group next to us had one 13-14 year old kid who would "wander" around the approach rather than stepping off to wait for his ball. The choice is to be as nice as possible and walk over to explain the safety side, or just wait. I ended up just waiting, and it was fine.
2. Approaches are a bit stickier than I remember.
3. The Storm IQ Tour is still a great ball!

All that said, I'm happy for the business side of the sport. The center was full for open bowling. I know, post-COVID, a lot of centers in Wisconsin (where I'm originally from) shut down, and many going to be demolished. I thought pricing was hefty ($50 for four people x 2 games, add two shoe rentals), and it was completely pre-pay either by hourly group package or pay per line (game).

Have been in a bit of slump as of the last several weeks. Barely able to crack 220's with just horrible pin carry each week. It's gotta be the pin spotter and not me right. LOL!!

This past week was a brutal one in particular - I left 13 10 pins for a 4 game set!! Crazy! I covered them, but damn, just couldn't even get a bird dog to take one of em out!

Some buddies and I are going to try our hand in some FUN league bowling. I have played in the past recreationally, so not a super newbie. Any advice? New ball recommendations, shoe recc?

Some buddies and I are going to try our hand in some FUN league bowling. I have played in the past recreationally, so not a super newbie. Any advice? New ball recommendations, shoe recc?
Yes buy your own everything. Go to a pro shop inside an alley and not to your local Dicks haha. I quit a few years back so no ball recs but I'm sure the guy in the shop will have some for you.

Yep, pro shop is best bet to go check out and get a ball fit and measured to your hand. Entry level Storm Tropical Surge or Electrify. Roto-Grip Hustle.

Quite a lot of different shoes to go with. Unless you plan to bowl for awhile, you likely won't need ones that have interchangable soles etc.

Have been having a pretty good summer in our doubles league. Last 5 weeks have averaged 230 with a new ball, picked up the new Roto Grip UFO Alert. Was needing a hybrid assymetric and this one seems to be a huge winner for me. At the end of last summer my Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, which was an amazing ball, cracked unfortunately. I had been on a search for a replacement for a hybrid assym to replace it and came up disappointed each time I tried a new one.

Fall Leagues are starting up again soon, or already have for some.
What are your goals for the new season?

Moar honor scores are my goal!!

UFO Alert still performing well for me. 903 last week and 893 last night on some tough pairs.

So how is this for a day. Shot a 2 under 70 followed by a 704. I am pretty happy and that ignores the amount I drank while doing both:alien:

Some friends and I are looking to get more into bowling and possibly join a league within a few months. Anyone have any shoe recommendations and good online retailer suggestions?

Some friends and I are looking to get more into bowling and possibly join a league within a few months. Anyone have any shoe recommendations and good online retailer suggestions?
Bowlingball.com, bowlersmart.com and Bowlerx.com are a few good ones.

Best though is to go to a local pro shop as pricing will usually be the same and you can actually try some shoes on.

Dexter makes a good shoe. If you’re just starting out, you won’t need a shoe that has interchangeable soles etc. just a good basic shoe will do.

Last edited:
Dexter shoes for sure. I prefer interchangeable soles, but I got by without them for 25+ years. I may have spent a small fortune in powder though.

Bowlingball.com, bowlersmart.com and Bowlerx.com are a few good ones.

Best though is to go to a local pro shop as pricing will usually be the same and you can actually try some shoes on.

Dexter makes a good shoe. If you’re just starting out, you won’t need a shoe that has interchangeable soles etc. just a good basic shoe will do.

Thanks, Tony! There's actually a decent pro shop near work (apparently), but I expected pro shop pricing to be high like golf is so I'm happy to hear bowling pro shops are in line with online retailers.

Thanks, Tony! There's actually a decent pro shop near work (apparently), but I expected pro shop pricing to be high like golf is so I'm happy to hear bowling pro shops are in line with online retailers.
You bet! 👊

If the shop is a good one it shouldn't be any higher than what you would find online. If they are, they would typically price match to make the sale.

Back