I used to bowl in a league when I was in college. There were ten or twelve Brunswick lanes in the student union building and about an equal number of pool tables.

They're no longer there.

I dropped in for old times sake, thought that I had forgotten where to look for them,
asked,
and was told that they were taken out at least twenty years ago, maybe more.
"I wouldn't even know they existed if somebody hadn't recently told me about them," the person said.

People don't know when to leave things alone.
I could repeat this same story for about a million different things that I used to enjoy.
That's part of being old, I suppose.

Jeez, I am missing the bowling this year :(
With the double knee replacements and the massive covid infection in Idaho (where I bowl) I have to sit out this year.

I gave up fall/winter leagues in the late 2000's for good. Bowled a few nights during high school and shortly afterwards. Got my 300, won a league championship, and had a 202 avg on a Saturday night scratch league with a harder oil pattern. I accomplished some good stuff. Got tired of the 34 week grind and my sliding knee was feeling it. I get the same competitiveness out of golf and I can go or not go when I want to.

If I ever bowled again It'd be in the summer and it'd be in a singles/bracket type league which I enjoyed the best.

Thanks for the help everyone! Went to the local pro shop and fully jumped in with shoes, ball, and bag. Now I'm invested for bowling mediocrity much like golf. Though I've now had a more formal bowling fitting than I have had for golf, so I think that needs to be rectified soon.

Thanks for the help everyone! Went to the local pro shop and fully jumped in with shoes, ball, and bag. Now I'm invested for bowling mediocrity much like golf. Though I've now had a more formal bowling fitting than I have had for golf, so I think that needs to be rectified soon.
Nice! :ROFLMAO:
What ball did you get?

Nice! :ROFLMAO:
What ball did you get?

One of the smelly ones :LOL:

It was the Storm Tropical Surge. I'm very much an entry-level straight ball bowler (like a 145-155 avg) with aspirations to become a hooker, so that one was recommended to me as a starter ball. Hopefully it's not the Wilson Box Set from Academy equivalent, but at least I won't have to worry about finding a bowling alley ball with the right sized holes anymore. A fit bowling ball fits a lot more snugly in the fingers than I would have thought, so that'll take some getting used to.

It was the Storm Tropical Surge. I'm very much an entry-level straight ball bowler (like a 145-155 avg) with aspirations to become a hooker, so that one was recommended to me as a starter ball. Hopefully it's not the Wilson Box Set from Academy equivalent, but at least I won't have to worry about finding a bowling alley ball with the right sized holes anymore. A fit bowling ball fits a lot more snugly in the fingers than I would have thought, so that'll take some getting used to.
That's a good entry level ball, should serve you well as you learn to become a hooker. :ROFLMAO:
You may even find it will hook more than you expect depending on oil on the lanes. (y)
Absolutely having a ball fit to your hand/grip will make a world of difference. Good luck!

Nah Tropical Surge is a perfect starter ball and Storm always makes a quality product.

It’s a good entry level reactive ball, but I would have leaned more towards the Rhino line for a beginning hooker. The lower RG and slightly higher differential should provide a more rounded curve, like a baby draw. The Tropical Surge should be able to spend a bit of time in the bag as a spare ball after you move on to some high RG big differential monsters that’ll look more like a snap hook.

In fairness, I’m a little biased. I run a Rhino as my dry lane strike ball, right side spare ball, and to push oil into the Urethane bowlers’ lines while still giving me a look at the pocket.

That's all Greek to me, but the pro shop guy said that the Rhino that was at the same price level (can't remember the model) was pretty similar to the Storm for what I'm looking for. The smell of the Storm sold me 😂

That's all Greek to me, but the pro shop guy said that the Rhino that was at the same price level (can't remember the model) was pretty similar to the Storm for what I'm looking for. The smell of the Storm sold me 😂
RG is a number rating for how far down the lane it’ll skid before hooking. The higher the number the further down the lane.
Differential is over simplified to hook potential. Bigger number, more hook.

Both balls are at a competing price point and category. You can’t go wrong with either, especially as you’re learning what you like. Just be prepared for your shoes to smell like the Storm fragrance. It was a little weird the first time my shoes didn’t smell like feet when I pulled them out of my bag.

My lineup:
EDFE0623-DDF6-40D8-A87F-C5490D00D8FE.jpeg

Tied my personal best last night (a measly 181). Closed the first 8 frames then choked in the 9th and the 10th. Starting to get a tiny 6"-8" hook on the ball, but I'm definitely trying to get a little more and I was leaving the 5 pin a lot yesterday and was also pulling the ball quite a bit. May take a few lessons in the near future since I saw that bowling lessons are much much more affordable than golf lessons, but I am really enjoying my weekly bowling night so far.

Tied my personal best last night (a measly 181). Closed the first 8 frames then choked in the 9th and the 10th. Starting to get a tiny 6"-8" hook on the ball, but I'm definitely trying to get a little more and I was leaving the 5 pin a lot yesterday and was also pulling the ball quite a bit. May take a few lessons in the near future since I saw that bowling lessons are much much more affordable than golf lessons, but I am really enjoying my weekly bowling night so far.

When I was starting hooking, the part I bolded happened to me a lot. Eventually you'll learn to read the pins and your release. Don't try too hard to get a massive hook out of an entry level reactive. My Rhino is my dry lane strike ball because it doesn't move much. I bring out the Prism when the lanes are normal/fast.

Yeah, beginner hookers can certainly leave some of those pesky 5 pins. Just don't miss any spares as you will have to buy your buds a round during league play. :ROFLMAO:

Leaving 5 pins means the ball is coming in too light and deflecting, not finishing to go through the pins. Could be a bunch of different things, so couldn't give advice on one specific thing to help you out unless seeing how you bowl.

I agree that lessons can certainly help you get on the right track.

New PB last night (188)! Included my first hambone in frames 2-5, but left a split in the 9th and couldn't close out the 10th. Need XX2 in the 10th to crack 200.

New PB last night (188)! Included my first hambone in frames 2-5, but left a split in the 9th and couldn't close out the 10th. Need XX2 in the 10th to crack 200.
There ya go!! That 200 will come in no time :cool:👊

When I resurrected my bowling game (bowled in high school/college some 40 years ago) I also needed to get new equipment as my previous ball would not hook no matter what spin I tried to give it, lol. I also went with an entry level Storm ball for the smell (Storm Joyride - smells like vanilla). I've been pretty happy with it for the last 4-5 years but lately have been wondering if I should be looking for something new. My average is a paltry 165 but I will roll between a 180 and 210 on any give night (for at least a game or two). Unfortunately, much like my golf game I'll have a game where I can't seem to even look like I know what I'm doing much less make the shots I need to make.

UFO Alert still performing well for me. 903 last week and 893 last night on some tough pairs.
We should have found a lane out in Austin to mix with the golf!!

When I resurrected my bowling game (bowled in high school/college some 40 years ago) I also needed to get new equipment as my previous ball would not hook no matter what spin I tried to give it, lol. I also went with an entry level Storm ball for the smell (Storm Joyride - smells like vanilla). I've been pretty happy with it for the last 4-5 years but lately have been wondering if I should be looking for something new. My average is a paltry 165 but I will roll between a 180 and 210 on any give night (for at least a game or two). Unfortunately, much like my golf game I'll have a game where I can't seem to even look like I know what I'm doing much less make the shots I need to make.

New ball feeling is always good. :cool:
Also, new ball pin carry is always a plus.

We should have found a lane out in Austin to mix with the golf!!
We should have looked into that. 👊

Y'all have any essential bowling accessory recommendations? Right now I just have some thumb tape, shoe brush, ball towel, and a small rosin bag but didn't know if I was missing something obvious. Think I've officially caught the bowling bug, so interested to see how long it lasts.

Second skin for blisters.

Just got the thumb hole plugged to see if it will help. Could never get the hole just right and my thumb would always get stuck.

Y'all have any essential bowling accessory recommendations? Right now I just have some thumb tape, shoe brush, ball towel, and a small rosin bag but didn't know if I was missing something obvious. Think I've officially caught the bowling bug, so interested to see how long it lasts.
I have a backpack full of stuff that I carry including my shoes. Thumb tape is good to have I use several types. Some that go on the thumb and some that go in the thumb hole. Typically only use a piece or two inside the pad side of the thumb hole anymore. Other tapes I use on backside of thumb when needing a quicker release if it's humid out etc.

I also have a few leather chamois to wipe ball after every shot I like them better than towels. I don't use any rosin or powders personally.

Do have a shoe brush and shoe covers are a must.

Rechargeable battery powered fan for when it's hot or humid. Mostly use this for my hand to keep it dry in between frames or sets.

Have a thumbhole remover tool for interchangeable thumbs and also scraper tool to adjust thumbholes if needed. But, I have several interchangeable thumbs that can be used with varying sizes etc for when thumb really swells or when cold to start out.

I joined a bowling league last winter for the first time, and it got cut short mid season. Tonight is the beginning of a new season. Still consider myself a newbie, but it's a fun night out.

Back