Brand-New Golfer - Maybe

Caddy Daddy

MaybeDuffer

Reaction score
Hi All!

Just getting started in the game.

For sixty-nine years I successfully avoided this sport. Last Saturday, sitting on my next-door-neighbor's deck, enjoying a Bourbon or two, he mentioned he'd be golfing the next day. We got to talking about it. He suggested I try a few swings. "Sure. Why not?" Wouldn't you know it: After a few practice swings I put my very first ball about seventy, eighty yards right down the middle of his yard with his 7-iron.

That was probably my downfall

Ok, that was fun. But I still had no plans to actually pick up golfing. Figured I'd pick up an economical 7-iron, some raggedy old balls I could knock into the woods and go collect in the fall or next spring. Then my wife reminded me the husband of a friend of hers that had passed away a couple years ago had been an avid golfer and had been about my height. She gave her friend a call and, yes, I was welcome to his old clubs.

So now I have a bag and clubs, and have signed-up for a beginner's golfing class to begin in July.

Boy, that escalated fast!

Plan right now is to see how the classes go. See if the game suits me. Then move on from there.

Reframmellator

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Welcome to THP! Great group, great sport, sounds like you've been bitten already.

Very smart move to take lessons at the beginning.

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to THP.

fairwaynut

Enlightened Hacker
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
:welcome:Hope you come to enjoy the game of golf as much as the rest of us do. Hope your lessons go well when you start them. :golf2:

MikeF

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Welcome :)

Turtlerancher

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Pick one.
:welcome: Went down that road myself 2 years ago with the BIL, now hooked on golf and THP! 😎

RealPretendPsychic

Team THP Grandaddy 2020(1) - Trust The Process
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Welcome to the party! Better late than never! There’s a ton of knowledge and great folks here at THP.

PatsFan

Jedi Knight
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Welcome to the club and welcome to THP!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Welcome to THP. Enjoy the journey and the new hobby. :)

Scarnici

#TeamParadise
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Welcome to THP and welcome to the most beautiful frustrating sport you will ever experience

Snowman

It's a dry heat!
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.8
Welcome to THP, and to the greatest and most frustrating game in the world!

gkeller813

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Welcome to THP! Lots of good golf talk, and good people, around here!

OGputtnfool

Do it this way, no that way, no... oh, nevemind!
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hi All!

For sixty-nine years I successfully avoided this sport. Last Saturday, sitting on my next-door-neighbor's deck, enjoying a Bourbon or two, he mentioned he'd be golfing the next day. We got to talking about it. He suggested I try a few swings. "Sure. Why not?" Wouldn't you know it: After a few practice swings I put my very first ball about seventy, eighty yards right down the middle of his yard with his 7-iron.

Ok, that was fun. But I still had no plans to actually pick up golfing. Figured I'd pick up an economical 7-iron, some raggedy old balls I could knock into the woods and go collect in the fall or next spring. Then my wife reminded me the husband of a friend of hers that had passed away a couple years ago had been an avid golfer and had been about my height. She gave her friend a call and, yes, I was welcome to his old clubs.

So now I have a bag and clubs, and have signed-up for a beginner's golfing class to begin in July.

Plan right now is to see how the classes go. See if the game suits me. Then move on from there.
You're done. There's no turning back now. Welcome...

Newman21

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Welcome to THP. You have joined a great group of people to help when needed. This game is AWESOME! Enjoy!

WLG1952

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi All!

You may not be aware of it yet, but the game of golf now owns you. There is no maybe, ifs, ands, or buts.

You swung a club. You.like it. You acquired a bag of clubs. You liked that. You will like it even more in a few months when you decide you need to purchase "your own" new bag of clubs. Those free clubs will become your back up set.

You will be devoting significant, other wise free time, to golf practice sessions. Maybe even continued lessons.

You and your neighbor will be sharing more golf stories, and probably more burbon.

You will secretly like the frustrations a beginning golfer goes through. You will persevere.

Perhaps your fishing tackle will suffer from non use. Got a bowling ball?

No your done. All that's left is to enjoy the awesome journey that lies in front of you.

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
:welcome:

golfinnut

In search of a new OEM!
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
:welcome: Now you're hooked ... there is no looking back! :D

Hamfist

I fluff my gimmies.
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
30+
Good to see you got the bourbon flowing early, it will help.

Reaction score
I wish you luck. And yes, knocking one right down the middle was your downfall! Those are the ones that keep us all coming back! They've kept me coming back for 50+ years!

Bernoulli

Enjoy every sandwich
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Welcome to THP. It was nice to read your story about how you became interested in golf.

Parrot

I can play a lot better than this but I never do
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Welcome aboard!

tahoebum

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+0.2
Welcome!