Brand-New Golfer - Maybe

Duffer Seamus

C'mon ball, do your thing
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Hi All!

Just getting started in the game.

For sixty-nine years I successfully avoided this sport. Last Saturday, sitting on my next-door-neighbor's deck, enjoying a Bourbon or two, he mentioned he'd be golfing the next day. We got to talking about it. He suggested I try a few swings. "Sure. Why not?" Wouldn't you know it: After a few practice swings I put my very first ball about seventy, eighty yards right down the middle of his yard with his 7-iron.

That was probably my downfall
lol.gif

Ok, that was fun. But I still had no plans to actually pick up golfing. Figured I'd pick up an economical 7-iron, some raggedy old balls I could knock into the woods and go collect in the fall or next spring. Then my wife reminded me the husband of a friend of hers that had passed away a couple years ago had been an avid golfer and had been about my height. She gave her friend a call and, yes, I was welcome to his old clubs.

So now I have a bag and clubs, and have signed-up for a beginner's golfing class to begin in July.

Boy, that escalated fast!

Plan right now is to see how the classes go. See if the game suits me. Then move on from there.

Welcome to THP! Great group, great sport, sounds like you've been bitten already.

Very smart move to take lessons at the beginning.

Welcome to THP.

:welcome:Hope you come to enjoy the game of golf as much as the rest of us do. Hope your lessons go well when you start them. :golf2:

Welcome :)

:welcome: Went down that road myself 2 years ago with the BIL, now hooked on golf and THP! 😎

Welcome to the party! Better late than never! There’s a ton of knowledge and great folks here at THP.

Welcome to the club and welcome to THP!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP! Hope to hear more about your journey with this great game!

Welcome to THP. Enjoy the journey and the new hobby. :)

Welcome to THP and welcome to the most beautiful frustrating sport you will ever experience

Welcome to THP, and to the greatest and most frustrating game in the world!

Welcome to THP! Lots of good golf talk, and good people, around here!

Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody!

Hi All!

For sixty-nine years I successfully avoided this sport. Last Saturday, sitting on my next-door-neighbor's deck, enjoying a Bourbon or two, he mentioned he'd be golfing the next day. We got to talking about it. He suggested I try a few swings. "Sure. Why not?" Wouldn't you know it: After a few practice swings I put my very first ball about seventy, eighty yards right down the middle of his yard with his 7-iron.

lol.gif

Ok, that was fun. But I still had no plans to actually pick up golfing. Figured I'd pick up an economical 7-iron, some raggedy old balls I could knock into the woods and go collect in the fall or next spring. Then my wife reminded me the husband of a friend of hers that had passed away a couple years ago had been an avid golfer and had been about my height. She gave her friend a call and, yes, I was welcome to his old clubs.

So now I have a bag and clubs, and have signed-up for a beginner's golfing class to begin in July.

Plan right now is to see how the classes go. See if the game suits me. Then move on from there.

You're done. There's no turning back now. Welcome...

Welcome to THP. You have joined a great group of people to help when needed. This game is AWESOME! Enjoy!

Hi All!

lol.gif

You may not be aware of it yet, but the game of golf now owns you. There is no maybe, ifs, ands, or buts.

You swung a club. You.like it. You acquired a bag of clubs. You liked that. You will like it even more in a few months when you decide you need to purchase "your own" new bag of clubs. Those free clubs will become your back up set.

You will be devoting significant, other wise free time, to golf practice sessions. Maybe even continued lessons.

You and your neighbor will be sharing more golf stories, and probably more burbon.

You will secretly like the frustrations a beginning golfer goes through. You will persevere.

Perhaps your fishing tackle will suffer from non use. Got a bowling ball?

No your done. All that's left is to enjoy the awesome journey that lies in front of you.

:welcome:

:welcome: Now you're hooked ... there is no looking back! :D

Good to see you got the bourbon flowing early, it will help.

I wish you luck. And yes, knocking one right down the middle was your downfall! Those are the ones that keep us all coming back! They've kept me coming back for 50+ years!

Welcome to THP. It was nice to read your story about how you became interested in golf.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome!

Back