Brick + Mortar Putting

RxGus

Argyle Warrior
Reaction score
Handicap
Winter
I ventured into a B+M establishment today to pick up some new golf balls and as I always do I ventured to hit a few irons, swing a few drivers, and take a couple of putts. What I was surprised to discover was...

I hit 5/10 putts from ~25 feet.

I tried a different putter. 5/10 from the same distance.
Picked up a different putter. 4/10. 5/10. 7/10.

Has anyone noticed that they make a TON more putts at a B+M putting green than outside? I am naturally skeptical of a lot of things so I started to hit really slow putts on a line I KNEW was off and all of the balls filtered back toward the hole at the end.

So here is my questions- am I making a fool out of myself or is there a subtle break towards to holes so people make more putts? It makes sense. I just hit 5/10 putts from 30 feet. I NEVER do that. If I buy this putter I can do it all the time!

I've heard that before Gus from a lot of people. I notice that I too putt better inside a store.

I wouldn't put it past them. Almost everytime I go in a store someone is always trying to steer me torward particular clubs. That's why I hate shopping for them.

This is like Dicks launch monitor...no matter how crappy you hit it it's always 300 yards with a baby draw on their monitor.

Sounds logical to me.

Yes there is a funnel effect at all the B&M's that I've been to. To find out I also did the same thing and rolled (not putt) some balls intentionally on a line a couple of inches off the hole on multiple sides and voila there was a funnel effect. Some are less discrete than others.

This is like Dicks launch monitor...no matter how crappy you hit it it's always 300 yards with a baby draw on their monitor.

I've noticed the same at my Golf USA. There is no way I am hitting this 7 iron 175 consistantly, lol.

Gus, I think there are places that do this, but guessing most don't, or at least hope not. If every putter was making the putts I'd be buying the cheapest one.

Yes there is a funnel effect at all the B&M's that I've been to. To find out I also did the same thing and rolled (not putt) some balls intentionally on a line a couple of inches off the hole on multiple sides and voila there was a funnel effect. Some are less discrete than others.

Wow, that seem's crazy. It would hurt their sales with me, lol.

Wow, that seem's crazy. It would hurt their sales with me, lol.

I think the point is you aren't supposed to notice...

I am sure that it does wonders for sales but it really rubs me the wrong way.

I think the point is you aren't supposed to notice...

I am sure that it does wonders for sales but it really rubs me the wrong way.

Seem's hard not to notice when your making 30 footers with everything, lol. My last B+M bought putter worked so well at the store, but not worth a darn on the course. However, none of the others at the store worked as well, so I can't say it was the store tricking me. If they can, I'm sure they will try.

I have a store by me that actually put runners under their putting green to creat some break. When I am putter browsing/shopping I never go to see how many putts I make, I try to listen to how the ball rolls off of the putter face with a new putter. I see if the putter fits my swing path. I also try to gauge the feel of the putter.

Ive noticed this too. If I buy a putter after putting with it at GG I give it a 75% chance of getting returned. Actually now it gets added to the collection instead of getting returned. But they never seem to putt as well on the course.

I am an in-store putting savant. Truly an exceptional putter.

I am an in-store putting savant. Truly an exceptional putter.

You think youd win indoor championships? I know I could. Any putter, any time.

The funny thing is that this GG's simulator was actually tamed BACK.
I couldn't get a 6i longer than 155 (it is my 165 club) and my Driver SS was registering at 89-92 mph. I know through bridgestone fittings and through the Demo Day that my driver ss is 108-110. I was shocked- I was expecting to see 300 yard drives but couldnt break 250!

You think youd win indoor championships? I know I could. Any putter, any time.

I'd win easily, then take the winning putter as a prize. Later on, I'd head to the course with it. Then I'd come here to try and unload it in the WTS Forum.

I have a store by me that actually put runners under their putting green to creat some break. When I am putter browsing/shopping I never go to see how many putts I make, I try to listen to how the ball rolls off of the putter face with a new putter. I see if the putter fits my swing path. I also try to gauge the feel of the putter.

I am the exact same way, I focus only on feel and my distances(if I am able to putt the ball to the hole). Those are two things a golf shop can not mess with. Going in the hole is irrelevant

Back