Bridgestone J40 Driver Review Thread

I have decided to try again with the J40 driver, this time with a different shaft. Today I put in a Miyazaki Kusala shaft that I got from my friend 10yardDraw. I am hoping it was just a shaft issue that caused me not to have the same enjoyment toward this driver that everyone else seems to have so far. First test is this Sunday at one of my favorite courses around here.. http://www.oakquarry.com I will hope to have a great report for this thread Sunday evening.

WR what was your miss with this driver again?

I was pushing it badly, but I now don't believe it was completely the driver's fault ( and really knew it never was ALL the driver). I had a flaw with my swing that I noticed at my last lesson and with that identified and fixed I want to give this a fair shot. truth be told I hit 3 of my best drives every with this club. I do think the 5.5 was a little too much for my swing and the wrong shaft for me to use and I believe the Miyazaki will do much better.

5.5 too much based on stiffness or in terms or launch?

5.5 too much based on stiffness or in terms or launch?

Stiffness. At my lesson I swung the J40 and my Cobra with the Blur shaft in it one right after the other a few times and I could really tell the difference. The J40 felt like I was swinging a piece of wood. I guess I did not recognize it when I would play an entire round with the J40 or the Cobra, but going one to the other quickly I noticed the difference.

Last question. What's the flex code on that shaft you installed?

After reading White Rhino's thoughts, I'd love to get that demo back from Bridgestone, but with a different shaft in it... The one thing I loved abouth the J40 was its consistency.

After reading White Rhino's thoughts, I'd love to get that demo back from Bridgestone, but with a different shaft in it... The one thing I loved abouth the J40 was its consistency.

If it was a consistent performer for you why would you want to try a different shaft in it? And what shaft was in it when you used it?

Flex code is 2455.

Dont mind Dean he is just curious. I think its a good move. The PX from what I see is a more consistent flex across the shaft and the Black honestly, isn't all that beastly of a shaft. I feel a good amount of give with it.

Dont mind Dean he is just curious. I think its a good move. The PX from what I see is a more consistent flex across the shaft and the Black honestly, isn't all that beastly of a shaft. I feel a good amount of give with it.

I'm always curious my friend. I dont think the black is all that beastly either. It's why I have one haha. Still searching for the right head to throw it in.

I don't mind the curiosity, he just asked the question and went POOF and disappeared..LOL Like I said earlier, I am going out tomorrow with it on a course that will be a good test.

I don't mind the curiosity, he just asked the question and went POOF and disappeared..LOL Like I said earlier, I am going out tomorrow with it on a course that will be a good test.

I told you it was my last question. Figured it was alright to vanish like a fart in the wind at that point.

I'm always curious my friend. I dont think the black is all that beastly either. It's why I have one haha. Still searching for the right head to throw it in.

I told you it was my last question. Figured it was alright to vanish like a fart in the wind at that point.

That last line made me laugh. Seriously. Dean, you'll find it. Or sell it to me for a good price so I can put it in a Anser head. What type of head are you looking for?>

I haven't been around since the MC 1.0 so I can say sometimes we just have to disappear.

And I thought you were asking the question for a reason.

Hmmm nice analogy, you do remind me of a fart in the wind at times...LOL

That last line made me laugh. Seriously. Dean, you'll find it. Or sell it to me for a good price so I can put it in a Anser head. What type of head are you looking for?>

I haven't been around since the MC 1.0 so I can say sometimes we just have to disappear.

Not sure. Maybe razr fit. Who knows. I'm still hitting this good enough to keep me from buying something else.

Not sure. Maybe razr fit. Who knows. I'm still hitting this good enough to keep me from buying something else.

Same here Dean! I just want something a little more forgiving on SLICES haha. :) Nah, I haven't ever hit anything better and only will try a new driver just to try it. Do you ever think about trying different shaft?

Same here Dean! I just want something a little more forgiving on SLICES haha. :) Nah, I haven't ever hit anything better and only will try a new driver just to try it. Do you ever think about trying different shaft?

I'd love more forgiving slices. Could have used it today. I do and I don't. I like the Tiger Jr shaft in my driver. But I bet soon I crack and start looking elsewhere.

I'd love more forgiving slices. Could have used it today. I do and I don't. I like the Tiger Jr shaft in my driver. But I bet soon I crack and start looking elsewhere.

You know Dean, I think you will too lol. Honestly though, you ever wonder how good we could get if we just worked through our troubles? Im sure another shaft could also produce good results too. Honestly, I'd look at a Kai li if I were you. If you ever want to borrow a 4w to compare how the Kai Li works against your blue board (just for comparisons) let me know.

If it was a consistent performer for you why would you want to try a different shaft in it? And what shaft was in it when you used it?
Straight, but short... 10-15 shorter than what I was playing. Thus, a different shaft...

so WR how did things go with the driver yesterday?

so WR how did things go with the driver yesterday?

Thanks for asking Dean, not so hot my friend. As I said in the "what did you shoot today" thread, yesterday was easily the worst round i have played in almost 3 years. I could not do anything right. Drive, putt, chip 2nd shots it was just a terrible round. To answer about the driver specific, the first 3 o4 4 drives I hit I heard a definite rattle in the head, almost like there was a screw in there. Because I just switched shafts I imagine it cold be some epoxy or something like that. After those first 3 drives I can not really recall hearing the rattle. On the back 9 I was playing a little better but not really hitting the driver very well (not getting the same distance I have gotten from other drivers).

I am pondering putting things back the way they were ( project X back in) and get some pic and offer this driver for sale here on the marketplace. I am just not very comfortable with it and now it is in my head. I know it is a very good driver but alas not the one for me.

Msg me, if you still want the J40, maybe we can work something out.

I wouldn't give up after one bad day. Give it another few rounds.

I wouldn't give up after one bad day. Give it another few rounds.

It is not just one round. It has been a few rounds. I have hit some great drives with the j40. But also a lot of not so good ones. Right now mentally I am more comfortable with the J40 not in my bag. Maybe that will change down the road.

Back