Bridgestone J40 Wedges

Could always go high bounce on the SW and low bounce on the LW. That's the setup I have now with the x-forged. Gives you some options. I'm looking forward to not thinking about it to be honest. I think that next to the RTX CB I tested, the 56˚ J40 was the easiest out SW I've carried recently. Used it on all kinds of sand too.

I could be wrong, but I believe there aren't any different bounce options in the J40's. I believe they have a grind on their wedges that is very versatile, but don't offer different bounce options.

I could be wrong, but I believe there aren't any different bounce options in the J40's. I believe they have a grind on their wedges that is very versatile, but don't offer different bounce options.

You're right. Regardless of the grind though, you could bend them to manipulate the effective bounce I'd imagine.

You're right. Regardless of the grind though, you could bend them to manipulate the effective bounce I'd imagine.

Yep you sure can. Obviously bending too much might cause issues to the profile of the bounce and that type of thing but as long as it's 1 or 2 degrees it shouldn't be an issue. That's why I was contemplated going 52* to 50* 56* to 54* or just going with a stock 54* and then a 60* to 58* but still have to think things over and discuss with my tour rep and see what will fit me best!

Which irons you leading towards? Whats the PW loft u are looking at?

Either straight cavity backs or the combo. The PW loft either way is gonna be 47*.

Interesting that you have the greater gaps at the bottom of your bag rather than the top. Any reason for that?

I had a PW, GW, 55, 60 setup for a long while, but found myself in awkward gaps at the top of my bag. I added a 5W, got rid of the 55* and haven't looked back. Getting used to the larger gaps with the wedges took a while to get used to, but I am pretty comfortable with what I have now and actually like taking 3/4 swings with the wedges--I feel like I have more control if that makes sense.

FWIW, I've had zero issues with the bounce on my 54 and 58, even off of tighter lies. I had some fun in Texas this past week playing off of dormant grass in the fairways and having to hit that 50-60 yard partial wedge shot that doesn't have any room for error. More often than not, I was able to pull it off and have it do the thing where the ball bounces once or twice and then stops, it was pretty fun.

The performance for me on partial shots and shots around the green is a little better for me than on full shots. I realize that's probably more operator error than the club itself, but I'm also considering throwing KBS Hi-Rev shafts in these wedges and getting the DG Spinners out of them. I remember that I really enjoyed the KBS shafts in the TM XFT wedges I played in 2011. Besides that, I really like the head shape of these wedges and their versatility, I'm not looking to change from them anytime soon. I may just buy a new set of 54 and 58 degree wedges and then make the shaft change on my own.

Hit about 30 balls with 52° with dg spinner. Feel was graet as was dispersion. Distance was hard to guage with snow covered range, as soon as it hit the ground the ball disappeared. Seemed to be landing just a tad short of where the apex pro aw was landing. More to be determined at a later time

Hit probably 3/4 of the balls at the range today with my J40 wedge. 54* bent to 55* and it's 2* upright. I'm in love with these wedge. The more I spend time with it the more I wish I would have given these a better look back when I bought my vokey's. I feel like it's so much easier to control distance with these. Feels so good making a pure strike with these wedges.

Well, I was definitely seeing the same thing with the 50* and lost distance today at the range. On the other and I was getting very dialed in with 9:00 SW swings. I hit it to within maybe a foot at two different flags several times, which was a lot of fun to see.

Hit a few balls at the range with 52* w/ DG Spinner...and way to much spin with that shaft.

Love the feel and look of the Black Oxide.

Well, I was definitely seeing the same thing with the 50* and lost distance today at the range. On the other and I was getting very dialed in with 9:00 SW swings. I hit it to within maybe a foot at two different flags several times, which was a lot of fun to see.

Looks like you've got the stock DG Spinner shaft in the 50*? I'm really curious if that's the culprit as we've guessed. If you ever feel like re-shafting it, I'd be curious to see the results. How much distance would you say you're losing?

Looks like you've got the stock DG Spinner shaft in the 50*? I'm really curious if that's the culprit as we've guessed. If you ever feel like re-shafting it, I'd be curious to see the results. How much distance would you say you're losing?
This range has an island green that makes it very easy to determine distances. A pin exactly in the middle of the green is at 147, front of the green is 135, front edge of the water is 125. Regular swings with PW were in the 145 range (and I had 10-12 yard gaps through 8i). Regular swings with regular trajectory on the 50* were coming up about 5 yards short of or just making it to the water, so the gap was 20-25 yards from the PW. There were some OTT swings where I got the extra distance from pulling it left and the ball was just barely even with the 135 mark. I am pretty sure I will eventually switch out the shaft and will definitely report back when I do it. It may not happen especially soon, however.

I got in a bunch of work with the 56* and it was mostly a friendly reminder that these wedges are great.

My R/Bladez SW had a scuffed sole literally after one practice session in the sand. After about 4 months these still look new.

Thanks to the rain the sand in the traps is super compacted. I was able to open the face way up, get the ball over a 3 foot face and spin the ball. I'm not that good and I don't normally spin the ball.

I was able to vary my 50 yard Pelz shots, mostly by opening the face, to generate different types of shots. Again, that's the club.

Overall, I'm just really happy with them.

Update time:

I was fortunate enough to win a couple of KBS Wedge Flex shafts in R from a contest DevRickus ran. Considering all of the talk we have had in here about Mfg. stock shaft and making a change, I wanted to post up my experience.

The club: Bridgestone J40 Black Oxide 52* bent to 50*

Length: Stock 35.5"

Replacement Shaft: KBS Tour Custom Series, Wedge R-Flex, Black Satin finish.

Ive played DG spinner shafts for about two and a half years now. Primarily in my sand wedge though. Around the greens and in the bunker I love it. I never took full shots though because I just don't swing full with the sand wedge. When I received this wedge it had a DG spinner. Again, around the greens, it performed well. Being a 50* club I wanted to try it with some full swings. Very soon I started seeing some of the things that have been mentioned here. Slight distance loss, inconsistent flight and almost an "over-spiny" climb and then a drop.

I changed it out to the KBS shaft and took it to the course yesterday. There is a small short game area and this was the first club I pulled. 10 - 20 yard shots were just like the spinner. I backed up to about 40 - 50 and noticed that I was fighting the ball lower with my stock swing. Make a slight adjustment in ball position and stance though and I get a soft landing higher flight. During my warm up on the range, I hit some 100% full shots and this is where I noticed the biggest difference. Full shots are nice mid to high trajectory ball flight that is much more consistent with the clubs in the lower part of my bag.

On the course, I pulled this club when I normally would not have just to see what I could get out of it. Each time, I got almost exactly what I wanted out of it. What I mean is trajectory and distance. At no point in full or touch shots, did I notice any meaningful loss of spin performance once the ball interacted with the green.

What was an otherwise less than stellar round of golf for me yesterday was brightened up by the performance of this shaft in this wedge. I will be acquiring a 54* and putting one in that head as well. Hope this information is helpful to some.

20140322_101722_zpsfcirgzvx.jpg

JM

Last round I played I had the j40 52 and 58° in the bag. Stock do spinner shafts. On a day where nothing much went right, these were my highlights as I hole out a 60 ft chip and a bunker shot. I have done that only 3 times now and two came on one day with j40s in the bag!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Interested in a 54 or 55. Would golf galaxy or Golfsmith still carry these.

Also how is the head weight relative to other wedges.

Mine doesn't, but guess you should visual verify. If EBay is your thing, there are some pretty good deals on NIP J40 wedges in both satin and black oxide finishes.

JM

Somebody asked a question about the DG spinner shafts and loss of distance and/or performance issues today on the call. It was pointed out that it is possibly one of the more personal preferences that there may be in the short game, outside of a putter. Player A might be a high spin guy and thus get one result while Player B might be low spin and get entirely different performance.

There is probably not the same answer for any two individuals, but it sure is another thing for all off us to consider as we get fit for the various parts of our game. I never would have considered a wedge fitting before I tried my little experiment mentioned above. I did see a big difference though and to hear it explained today, it made perfect sense.

JM

Sounds like it's is perfect for now. On the 1st tee "Johnny Bridgestone"

I have a 56 that is bent to 54. If you want it I will ship it you after I get home from Lake Charles.

Sounds like it's is perfect for now. On the 1st tee "Johnny Bridgestone"

Shane, it was night and day on full swings for me. We gotta get together again soon so you can see if it works for you too.

JM

I can't wait to tee it up with you again. Wish you were coming to Lake Charles.

Me too fella! Going to University of Tennessee with my daughter. We will play again soon somehow.

Thank you for the wedge. I am SO enjoying it!

JM

I have a 56 that is bent to 54. If you want it I will ship it you after I get home from Lake Charles.

If you would be down for letting me try it that would awesome. I will let you know if I pull the trigger sooner.

I definitely need to get my hands on some J40 wedges. My wedge play is a huge part of my game. Not sure I'll go with the DG Spinners, due to the amount of spin I get on the ball.

Was great hearing the breakdown of the numbers today related to the comment regarding loss of distance. The robot doesn't lie.

Back