Bridgestone J40 Wedges

After Cookie's explanation about the Spinner being the cause of the problems with the 50* I started pondering what you guys are talking about with the iron shaft. If one of you does if please report back on results.

FWIW I played mpt4 50° with dg spinner most last year and had no issues with distance gapping between pw and 55° I dont see there being issues with the j40 head. Will find out

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

The common denominator with all that had issue is he shaft.

I haven't participated in a #WPF since I got my J40 wedges.

I do think the DG Spinner shaft hurts me a bit on full shots, I've gone to using my PW from basically 100-125. The only thing I've thought about changing is the shaft on my 52 as the 56 from 95 yards in is pretty reliable.

For those that had issues with dg spinners, were those issues confirmed with launch monitor numbers? Or just on course performance? Do you think it could just be mental or hard convinced it's the shaft?

For those that had issues with dg spinners, were those issues confirmed with launch monitor numbers? Or just on course performance? Do you think it could just be mental or hard convinced it's the shaft?

On course for me. Not mental.

Would drop 5 balls 100y from green with the 50* and come up short each time. I'm convinced it just needs an iron shaft for a fix.

How do you figure bending to 50* doesn't works well for a gap? I've had no issues and have no holes in the bottom of my bag

Add me to this list. I've had absolutely zero issues acclimating to the 52 bent to 50. It's one of the best 50* wedges I've ever gamed.

No launch monitor for me. Due to the amount of time I've put in on the range and less time but consistent results on the course, I was pretty confident it wasn't me. I don't know that it is the shaft but Cookie's explanation makes a lot of sense.

For those who are struggling distance wise with the 50* wedge, and believing it's shaft, I would really enjoy seeing a comparison in shafts to see if it's the spinner that's hindering your success. As someone who regular swings all his wedges over 3/4 swings, I'd really enjoy that.

For those who are struggling distance wise with the 50* wedge, and believing it's shaft, I would really enjoy seeing a comparison in shafts to see if it's the spinner that's hindering your success. As someone who regular swings all his wedges over 3/4 swings, I'd really enjoy that.
I will probably buy a shaft to match the set and try it in the 50*. Unfortunately the real life calendar is very full right now so that isn't going to happen especially soon.

I would love this data as well as I ran into this problem with my 52* vokey as well. PW is 130 yards of carry on the button and my 52* was 100. Bent it to 50* and still only got about 5 yards to 105. Ended up having it bent to 48* and that helped A LOT I would love to see what a matching iron shaft in J40 52* bent to 50* would do.

Well when the j40 52 gets here I will be doing extensive sim testing. Ill test it stock at 52 for baseline. Bent to 50 then compare with mpt4 50 with same dg spinner shaft (im sure golfsmith has one I can borrow lol).

I'm leaning towards a 52/58 setup, but that is open to discussion with my tour rep and fitter. As far as shafts go, I like the DG Spinner that is in my Mizuno, but again I am not opposed to considering other options. I don't think I would go with the DG Spinner in my 52*. I would lean towards matching it with whatever I have in my irons.

So after my sim round tonight I had Mark, the owner, bend my 54* to 55* and he also bent it 2* degrees upright for me to match my irons and I was hitting it smack dab in the middle on the lie board. He threw the range up on the sim for me and set the target green to 85 yards. I hit 15 balls and 14 of them were on the green. I really really enjoy this wedge. I think I'd rather go 56* to 55* just to cut down a little on the bounce, but the more I work with this wedge the more I really look forward to gaming these.

So after my sim round tonight I had Mark, the owner, bend my 54* to 55* and he also bent it 2* degrees upright for me to match my irons and I was hitting it smack dab in the middle on the lie board. He threw the range up on the sim for me and set the target green to 85 yards. I hit 15 balls and 14 of them were on the green. I really really enjoy this wedge. I think I'd rather go 56* to 55* just to cut down a little on the bounce, but the more I work with this wedge the more I really look forward to gaming these.

Nice! Bounce could be helpful in the fluffy bunkers.

I'm leaning towards a 52/58 setup, but that is open to discussion with my tour rep and fitter. As far as shafts go, I like the DG Spinner that is in my Mizuno, but again I am not opposed to considering other options. I don't think I would go with the DG Spinner in my 52*. I would lean towards matching it with whatever I have in my irons.

Which irons you leading towards? Whats the PW loft u are looking at?

Which irons you leading towards? Whats the PW loft u are looking at?

I think the pw is 46° in the CB and DPC

Nice! Bounce could be helpful in the fluffy bunkers.

I thought about that as well, but I've just gotten used to playing wedges with a smaller amount of bounce. Nothing is concrete yet!!

Interesting that you have the greater gaps at the bottom of your bag rather than the top. Any reason for that?

I think the pw is 46° in the CB and DPC

I do believe the CBs run one degree weaker than the DPCs. 47* in the PW.

I truly believe ill go 52 bent to 50, 56 bent to 55, and a 60. Those lofts are what I have gotten accustomed to

I truly believe ill go 52 bent to 50, 56 bent to 55, and a 60. Those lofts are what I have gotten accustomed to

nothing wrong with that....got a shaft preference yet?

Kang that's what I'm leaning towards as well. Only thing is I will most likely go with a matching iron shaft in my 50*

nothing wrong with that....got a shaft preference yet?

I have had zero issues with dg spinners so not sure if im in need of change

Kang that's what I'm leaning towards as well. Only thing is I will most likely go with a matching iron shaft in my 50*
Thats an interesting idea and I have pondered it. I see the reasoning behind it. Me personally I use all my wedges for full swings so I will either stick with the spinners or put same shaft as irons in all of them

I thought about that as well, but I've just gotten used to playing wedges with a smaller amount of bounce. Nothing is concrete yet!!

Could always go high bounce on the SW and low bounce on the LW. That's the setup I have now with the x-forged. Gives you some options. I'm looking forward to not thinking about it to be honest. I think that next to the RTX CB I tested, the 56˚ J40 was the easiest out SW I've carried recently. Used it on all kinds of sand too.

Back