Bridgestone Tour B JGR HF1 Irons Review

I am interested in your impressions of Bridgestone's Tour B HF1s.

Tour Edge's EXS irons also have my attention, but, like the HF1s, I won't be able to hit either until the weather breaks a bit more.

Well, I'm bumping this thread because I have a 6-AW set coming today.
I traded in my original JGR set and worked my club inventory down to 1 set of irons.
Since then, I've lost 50 lbs. and my Rogue X's don't fit me and I don't have a set to play with while I get the Rogue X tweaked.
So I decided to pick up a set after reading @ddec review and when I was at this weight that I am now, these were the set that I had, so I'm hoping they will be "Plug and Play" for me.

I'm excited to get these back in the bag, the original set made me a better golfer.
ShotScope had them already as club choices so I should be able to compare these to the 2018 stats with the Rogue X.

I make just play these for the year and wait for the Rogue X replacement in 2020 (Pure Speculation on my part but if 50% of the Rogue sets sold were "X" - They are not going away)

Well, I'm bumping this thread because I have a 6-AW set coming today.
I traded in my original JGR set and worked my club inventory down to 1 set of irons.
Since then, I've lost 50 lbs. and my Rogue X's don't fit me and I don't have a set to play with while I get the Rogue X tweaked.
So I decided to pick up a set after reading @ddec review and when I was at this weight that I am now, these were the set that I had, so I'm hoping they will be "Plug and Play" for me.

I'm excited to get these back in the bag, the original set made me a better golfer.
ShotScope had them already as club choices so I should be able to compare these to the 2018 stats with the Rogue X.

I make just play these for the year and wait for the Rogue X replacement in 2020 (Pure Speculation on my part but if 50% of the Rogue sets sold were "X" - They are not going away)

Congrats on the weight loss - look forward to your thoughts on these

For those of you who have been playing these now for awhile, what are your impressions and opinions of the irons?

I play the Cleveland CBX. If any of you have hit both, I would welcome your comments.

Thanks.

For those of you who have been playing these now for awhile, what are your impressions and opinions of the irons?

I play the Cleveland CBX. If any of you have hit both, I would welcome your comments.

Thanks.

these are completely different than the CBX. I found that these feel better, which some might think is blasphemy based on their looks, but it's true. The lofts on these are crazy strong, but they launch so damn well. They are one of the most fun sets of irons I have ever played. CBX is a really good set with some good tech and a killer sole design that I adore. Straight on head to head, I would bet these are longer and fly higher. CBX will hold the advantage in looks and turf interaction but make no mistake, they are no slouch in the distance and forgiveness department.

these are completely different than the CBX. I found that these feel better, which some might think is blasphemy based on their looks, but it's true. The lofts on these are crazy strong, but they launch so damn well. They are one of the most fun sets of irons I have ever played. CBX is a really good set with some good tech and a killer sole design that I adore. Straight on head to head, I would bet these are longer and fly higher. CBX will hold the advantage in looks and turf interaction but make no mistake, they are no slouch in the distance and forgiveness department.

Thanks for your detailed answer. I appreciate it. It is really helpful.

Thanks for your detailed answer. I appreciate it. It is really helpful.

no problem. What is it that you are looking for that the CBX isn't doing for you at this point? *This answer could be "I want something new and shiny"

Actually I really like my CBX irons. They fit me well and they suit my game. I'm just looking for a second set, a back-up set, for some variety. So, yes. Part of it is that I want something new and shiney.

I'm nearly 68 and have a few nagging inuries including a torn meniscus in my right knee that have affected my game a bit. I'm definitely not using that as an excuse, but my swing has slowed and distance has decreased, so I have changed my approach and game management over the last few years. While I have always looked at irons mostly for accuracy and consistency of distance and gapping, I can no longer just forget about the shorter yardages I hit them. I can't afford to leave yardage on the table.

I have been fit numerous times over the past few years. With the HF1's longer shaft lengths, I'm really curious about adjusting the lie angles. I need to look into this more.

I'm drawn to the HF1s, but also am looking at Cobra's F9 irons.

Thanks again for your feedback.

I'm going to put these in the bag over the holiday weekend and will be curious to see how they perform.
Based on my Range session last night, I'm liking what I'm seeing.
With ShotScope, I'll know in a couple rounds how the stack up vs. the Rogue X Irons.

And with the angle they come in on, the low spin isn't as massive of a deal as those on the internet will want it to be.

I'm pretty interested to hear the feedback from the guys at the iron weekend coming up. With an honest effort, I think some will find these to be incredible fun.

I have had these clubs since last year. Got lucky enough to attend the tru temper event last yr. i would never picked these out until i hit them and the first shot i hit ended up 6” from the cup. I absolutely love these clubs. Feel great and they are great for my game. Not every relationship should be built on looks alone. If you have the opportunity to try these, do it. I love these sticks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had these clubs since last year. Got lucky enough to attend the tru temper event last yr. i would never picked these out until i hit them and the first shot i hit ended up 6” from the cup. I absolutely love these clubs. Feel great and they are great for my game. Not every relationship should be built on looks alone. If you have the opportunity to try these, do it. I love these sticks!

I love hearing that. Have you had anyone try them out? What were their reactions if they did?

I love hearing that. Have you had anyone try them out? What were their reactions if they did?

I let anyone hit them. My son loves them and keeps asking when im getting new clubs. Several friends have hit them and really like them

Several have hit them. I was at an indoor golf center last week and the whole group next to us kept hitting them. I had to wait to hit my damn clubs!

Bumping this thread as the Hybrid Iron appears to the be 2020 "It" Iron.
While this HF1 is not a Hollow Body Iron, it's still considered to be Hybrid Iron.
Still remember @ddec description on the 2017 EOY podcast on the original JGR Hybrid Irons.

While I'm admittedly bias, I think if we are looking at the Hybrid Iron Market, the HF1's are might the best looking of the bunch.
I know there is a new version of JGR Driver in Japan however I haven't seen any updates of the Iron. (The upgrade on the HF2 - JGR HF3 is sharp)
Be interested to see how they change the design or even continue the HF1.

Last edited:
While this HF1 is not a Hollow Body Iron, it's still considered to be Hybrid Iron.
Still remember @ddec description on the 2017 EOD podcast on the original JGR Hybrid Irons.

While I'm admittedly bias, I think if we are looking at the Hybrid Iron Market, the HF1's are might the best looking of the bunch.
I know there is a new version of JGR Driver in Japan however I haven't seen any updates of the Iron. (The upgrade on the HF2 - JGR HF3 is sharp)

One thing these have that resonates with me is feel. I still think they feel better than all of the hollow-body hybrid options out there.

Still remember @ddec description on the 2017 EOD podcast on the original JGR Hybrid Irons.

Im curious of a couple of things.
1. What is the EOD podcast?
2. Asking genuinely, can something be a hybrid if it is not hollow? Isn't that one of the differentiators between some utility clubs, irons and hybrids?

Im curious of a couple of things.
1. What is the EOD podcast?
2. Asking genuinely, can something be a hybrid if it is not hollow? Isn't that one of the differentiators between some utility clubs, irons and hybrids?
1. Fixed to EOY - Proof reading not a strong suit.
2. Great question - If we use Bridgestone's description of the HF1:
"The all new TOUR B JGR HF1 irons are designed for maximum forgiveness and distance. The thick, hollow cavity design provides easy launching distance in an extremely low COG forged head" I would say a cavity in an Iron that is Hollow of some sort makes it Hybrid Iron. Some Irons are Cavity Backed - They are not Hybrid Irons.

Adding - Use this metric, Rogue X Irons are not Hybrids because they are not Hollow, they have "Microspheres" injected.

Last edited:
1. Fixed to EOY - Proof reading not a strong suit.
2. Great question - If we use Bridgestone's description of the HF1:
"The all new TOUR B JGR HF1 irons are designed for maximum forgiveness and distance. The thick, hollow cavity design provides easy launching distance in an extremely low COG forged head" I would say a cavity in an Iron that is Hollow of some sort makes it Hybrid Iron. Some Irons are Cavity Backed - They are not Hybrid Irons.

What cavity isn't hollow? Isn't that the nature of a cavity? I get they used the hollow word in there, and completely understand the idea is low and deep, like a hybrid. With that said, there are a number of other factors that create the hybrid around the face, so was curious.

I think a hollow body is different from hollow cavity.

Love me some bridgestone goodness, IMO they are still some of the best irons out there.

These were fun ones to hit.

Love me some bridgestone goodness, IMO they are still some of the best irons out there.

Me too. I believe some of their previous lines were near best in class and so underrated.

Great Price for these irons at RBG. I picked up a set with the Zelos 8 Steel Shafts:

48504252-3EE7-4361-BFA6-C2B33C577FC9.jpeg

Back