Bridgestone Tour B JGR HF1 Irons Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Dean does a real good job of explaining what the heck a PW2 is because I had never seen one before. Love the review, love the look of the irons but man is that a lot of cavity showing in that top like angle. Not saying I wouldnt play it because at this point in my golf life I would take feel and performance with a little bulk. Well done ddec

Dean does a real good job of explaining what the heck a PW2 is because I had never seen one before. Love the review, love the look of the irons but man is that a lot of cavity showing in that top like angle. Not saying I wouldnt play it because at this point in my golf life I would take feel and performance with a little bulk. Well done ddec

Doesn’t look quite as bad in person, but yeah there’s a bit of junk in the trunk of these.

Doesn’t look quite as bad in person, but yeah there’s a bit of junk in the trunk of these.

I figured that was the case. Few years back I would say hell no to any club where I can see cavity at address, but the CF16 changed my opinion on that

there is, but man I've been playing these for weeks now and they are crazy fun to hit. Hell even I can kind of play a 5 iron in this set haha. They definitely won't be for everyone which is fine. But being a player who dropped a 5 iron 4 years ago in exchange for hybrids, I ended up playing a good portion of my rounds with these in the bag without any hybrids present because I felt I could actually play these.

there is, but man I've been playing these for weeks now and they are crazy fun to hit. Hell even I can kind of play a 5 iron in this set haha. They definitely won't be for everyone which is fine. But being a player who dropped a 5 iron 4 years ago in exchange for hybrids, I ended up playing a good portion of my rounds with these in the bag without any hybrids present because I felt I could actually play these.

With the wide sole on them, I can see the 5i just being able to launch straight up with no problem.

They look like they’re crazy easy to hit straight too

30e519e716d989244b6a00c6b3e948ef.jpg

Here was an 8 iron shot in to a par 3. Greens were kind of firm that day and usually are really firm at this course. Not too bad of run out on that one which is good to see with such a low spin design.

With the wide sole on them, I can see the 5i just being able to launch straight up with no problem.

They look like they’re crazy easy to hit straight too

very much so. Although one of my last rounds I played was with my father's regular group. As I was explaining the premise of these, talking about the who "high and left" part of the asian market, I went on to block my first 3 iron shots to the right haha When my tempo was good, these things fly high and don't want to stray off line.

Amd what do you do when you look in the bag and see this?

b6019a4062febbea8b7831547da45f76.jpg

Find the nearest internet golf forum and bray about loft-jacking and stupid club numbering schemes manufacturers are engaging in? :alien2:

Wanted to add some more photos.

5 iron

i-9pXTnH3-XL.jpg

i-KZTBq5W-XL.jpg

i-KTwDTM9-XL.jpg

7 iron

i-jKSKS7K-XL.jpg

i-S5gx6Hh-XL.jpg

i-pDBMZLd-XL.jpg

PW1

i-VRrGFJj-XL.jpg

i-3x4Wz6H-XL.jpg

Stock Grip

i-xq95jk9-XL.jpg

very much so. Although one of my last rounds I played was with my father's regular group. As I was explaining the premise of these, talking about the who "high and left" part of the asian market, I went on to block my first 3 iron shots to the right haha When my tempo was good, these things fly high and don't want to stray off line.

Seem like a very smooth swing and they’ll do what you want. I do hate the two pitching wedge and then approach wedge combo. Just call one an approach wedge and one a gap wedge. Why confuse people more?

Just putting this out there - regardless of any loft jacking comments that may occur, why not just label the set from 4i so that the PW1 is 9i rather than having 2 pitching wedges in the set?

Scratch your head and ask yourself wtf is a P2?

Seem like a very smooth swing and they’ll do what you want. I do hate the two pitching wedge and then approach wedge combo. Just call one an approach wedge and one a gap wedge. Why confuse people more?

yeah I don't like it either, but I get it as it offers uniformity for the company. At least the AW was somewhat standard. There are many ways to attack it and I don't know the right answer. Titleist does a P, W, W2. Callaway in the Rogue X does PW, AW, GW. I think all will lead to initial confusion, which is why I don't hate on them for the uniformity aspect of the naming convention.

BTW, besides the lofts. Take a look at the shaft lengths, they are LONG. And that is where I have somewhat of an internal dilemma. We always see strong lofts and the argument comes down to "yeah but you are hitting that 7 iron 5-6 iron distances in 7 iron length." Here, I feel it's a little different. But to be honest, it did not take me long to get over it and have some crazy fun with them.

Those are some of the lowest spin numbers for an iron set I have ever seen. Looks wise it's a hard pass for me.

"Sigh" I do miss my JGR's Hybrid Irons every so once in a while. They will always have a soft spot in my heart - They made me a 8 shot better Handicap player.
It's like a player that gets traded from the team he game up with, in his heart, he always wants to go back....

The P1 & P2 is different from the Rogue X having an A and G wedge.
Didn't AP1's have the same P1 and P2?

@JB What about the availability to demo?

Wow, those have quite the sole on them! Great explanation by Dean on the club numbering and overall review of the Iron set. I still don't get the PW1 and PW2 deal, but it'd be fun to see what the average golfer thinks of it.

Great article. Very interesting approach by Bridgestone but one that should catch-on stateside. And if you play in wet conditions, the low spin won't be as punishing on short irons.

Great article. Very interesting approach by Bridgestone but one that should catch-on stateside. And if you play in wet conditions, the low spin won't be as punishing on short irons.

And with the angle they come in on, the low spin isn't as massive of a deal as those on the internet will want it to be.

I'm pretty interested to hear the feedback from the guys at the iron weekend coming up. With an honest effort, I think some will find these to be incredible fun.

Angle will play a larger role than spin in this instance, because this is not an iron where you are going to be looking to flight low.

Nope these are a throw it in the air kind of iron. Although I did have some instances where I needed to hit lower trajectory shots to move around trouble or to put in position on a par 5. For me, the 9 iron was the most successful club that doing that.

I wanted to touch on something, the lofts get real jammed up on the low end with bigger gaps on the scoring clubs. Your difference in carry from 5 to 7i was "only" 14 yards. The gap from 7 to 9 was less tight at 17, but the from 9 to P2 it goes huge. Did you notice any concern in terms of gapping on the low end?

I wanted to touch on something, the lofts get real jammed up on the low end with bigger gaps on the scoring clubs. Your difference in carry from 5 to 7i was "only" 14 yards. The gap from 7 to 9 was less tight at 17, but the from 9 to P2 it goes huge. Did you notice any concern in terms of gapping on the low end?

Glad you brought that up sir.

On the ball data, my 9 is averaging 160 and the PW2 is at 134. That allows perfectly for the that PW1 to fill that gap, and it did with no issues.
On the long irons, the gap for me gets tighter. I think I could get more out of that 5 iron, but the 194 is ok for me. On the course I tried to play that 6 iron for a 185 yard shot, and anything over 190 I went with the 5, up to around 200ish. Dry ball data makes it look much tighter and more complicated than how I played them in my mind on the course. To answer your question, the spot where I saw tighter gaps was the 7-8-9 area, but I was able to comfortably make it work in my mind.

Back