ForTheLovOfGolf

Reaction score
Handicap
So I was hitting balls tonight working on a few things when about 10 balls into hitting my 7i the shaft broke within the grip!! I've broken a lot of clubs (both out of anger and accidental) in my 26 years of playing golf but NEVER had one break within the grip. Has anyone had something like this happen to them? If so any known cause? Thanks for the insight

Bryan

I have had one break mid grip, after removing the grip and looking into it I think I found a slight dent/crease on the break point that I can only deduce may have been the result of accidentally closing the tray of my truck on my 5I - which I dismissed at the time as it didn't feel overly forceful - but obviously 1 month later it came back to haunt me

I had a dimple on a 4i just below the grip that busted on a fat shot.

I had it happen with a defective graphite shaft in a Cleveland 3w a few years ago. I also had a member at my course have one of his irons do the same thing but it cut his hand pretty badly. Metal shafts will do it over time if they are exposed to moisture over a period of time and then not dried out properly.

I had it happen with a defective graphite shaft in a Cleveland 3w a few years ago. I also had a member at my course have one of his irons do the same thing but it cut his hand pretty badly. Metal shafts will do it over time if they are exposed to moisture over a period of time and then not dried out properly.

I was trying to figure a lot of this out. I wipe my grips and dry them right after. I think I'm lucky I have a few wraps of tape because it didn't come through the grip. Guess it's going to be $100+ out of my pocket for a new one

I was trying to figure a lot of this out. I wipe my grips and dry them right after. I think I'm lucky I have a few wraps of tape because it didn't come through the grip. Guess it's going to be $100+ out of my pocket for a new one

You can have it reshafted for about half of the price of a new club.

What model club and how old. Is at least check with customer service of the company. The wits they can say is it's not covered, but they just might depending on the age.

You can have it reshafted for about half of the price of a new club.

Well that's what I'm going to do but the shaft alone with be $40ish. I don't trust myself to reshaft clubs

I would contact either Cleveland or KBS and let them know what happened and they might take care of you or at least throw you a discount.

What model club and how old. Is at least check with customer service of the company. The wits they can say is it's not covered, but they just might depending on the age.

They are Cleveland's with KBS shafts. This is my second full season with them.

I've broken 2 wedges within the grip. My guess is the shaft was dented where it snapped. I used to have a bad habit of hitting the grip end of my club against my bag legs, and it caught up to me twice. Maybe moisture got in the grip and it rusted/weakened the club a bit, but I cannot say for sure.

I had some DG that started to rust inside the shaft and if i had not treated them with some rust inhibitor they might have done something similar

So I was hitting balls tonight working on a few things when about 10 balls into hitting my 7i the shaft broke within the grip!! I've broken a lot of clubs (both out of anger and accidental) in my 26 years of playing golf but NEVER had one break within the grip. Has anyone had something like this happen to them? If so any known cause? Thanks for the insight

Bryan

Bryan,
My 5 iron got run over by a golf cart, and within a couple of swings it broke off in the same fashion as you describe here.

They are Cleveland's with KBS shafts. This is my second full season with them.

I agree with the other posts, my Mizuno irons cam with a 3 year factory warranty. I would check with your OEM to see if they will take care of the problem for you.

Well, I got a hold of KBS who is going to replace my shaft!! What outstanding customer service!! They were wonderful.

Broken Shaft

Well, I got a hold of KBS who is going to replace my shaft!! What outstanding customer service!! They were wonderful.

Nice.

Not surprised, they are a first class company.

Last edited:
Back