Broken shafts in new cobra irons

I have had this happen 2 times. I will snap some pictures after. I think my 8 iron did that and now my 5 iron. I love the irons and the way they play but wouldnt spend big $$ on them again. I thought Cobra was my forever brand up until I seen cracks on 2 other clubs.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

The 8 iron cracked right at the bottom and you really couldnt see it. I felt it though. 5biron crack is a bit higher up.
a4ec03645a6243122d06f0e877070c6e.jpg
244d5b2a0fd224890d1b2491f70e3311.jpg

AcushnetGolf;n8901641 said:
The 8 iron cracked right at the bottom and you really couldnt see it. I felt it though. 5biron crack is a bit higher up.
a4ec03645a6243122d06f0e877070c6e.jpg
244d5b2a0fd224890d1b2491f70e3311.jpg

Are the shafts actually cracked or just the ferrules?

OP, you mentioned you would be going to titleist if available to reorder. What shafts did you choose for that set?

Wow, this sounds so unfortunate.

zola10;n8901153 said:
the regional manager the story and how I was worried about playing with these clubs. He said they will rebuild the clubs and that is my only option. He said they are just the third party and because they didn’t build them this is all they are willing to do..

b35de16bcb6968ebaea8575ff43dca32.jpg

what am i not understanding? i thought cc charges its premium prices because they build the clubs and guarantee the build and fit? is the manager saying cc did not in fact build the clubs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They didn't build these clubs, which he made a big deal out of, however they didn't tell me that it would make a difference who builds the clubs. I got fitted by them and ordered the clubs through them which for me means they would stand behind the product. It just leaves a bad taste the way they have dealt with the situation.

Yes, when I brought the clubs back they said I can order Titleist instead, which was fine for me, then a week later they called and changed their mind. I have a feeling that this is happening with Cobras more than people know, at then end it is sad to see club champion not supporting the products they sell. Will definitely never go back there again.

LLIB;n8901663 said:
Are the shafts actually cracked or just the ferrules?

Good question because a cracked ferrule means absolutely nothing other than it's not pretty anymore.

zola10;n8903567 said:
They didn't build these clubs, which he made a big deal out of, however they didn't tell me that it would make a difference who builds the clubs. I got fitted by them and ordered the clubs through them which for me means they would stand behind the product. It just leaves a bad taste the way they have dealt with the situation.

is it just me, or is this really surprising to read? i was always under the impression that club champion built every order themselves with their own builders.

If you paid with a credit card, it might be time to start the dispute process.

McLovin;n8903615 said:
is it just me, or is this really surprising to read? i was always under the impression that club champion built every order themselves with their own builders.

Looks like they do not build all the clubs they sell, via there FAQ page:
"Delivery time is dependent on the type of build. The standard delivery time for Club Champion custom-built clubs is 10 business days. We'll make every attempt to improve upon this timeline to deliver your clubs ahead of schedule. We also offer expedited delivery options.
Clubs built by the Manufacturer (OEM) may take longer than 10 business days and they are dependent on OEM build time and product availability. Delivery times vary by manufacturer and time of year. When Retro-PUREing an OEM build, we will need additional time to disassemble, PURE the shafts, and rebuild the club(s) to your specifications."

OGputtnfool;n8903620 said:
If you paid with a credit card, it might be time to start the dispute process.

Does Club Champion have a return policy?

If they offered to replace/rebuild the set (as they already have) I'd imagine the credit card company has little ground to fight any charges, especially if Club Champion has a no returns allowed policy on custom clubs.

BuckNasty ;n8903645 said:
especially if Club Champion has a no returns allowed policy on custom clubs.
Eh, I said "might". Anyway, just because they have a no return policy (?) doesn't mean they can just give you defective merchandise and be off the hook. As far as I'm concerned, I'd be hesitant to have the same CC rebuild them. I'd push for a different store to do the work, if that's feasible for the OP. Besides, the OP already mentioned that CC had told him they felt the heads had a design flaw. I'd think that'd be reason enough to push for the chargeback... especially if the rebuilt irons have issues.

BuckNasty;n8903643 said:
Clubs built by the Manufacturer (OEM) may take longer than 10 business days and they are dependent on OEM build time and product availability.

i didn't know they did that, especially in light of the above from their website "We build every club by hand to the tightest tolerances and to the exact specifications dictated by your fitting."

if cc is just ordering the clubs from the oem, where is the value proposition in paying their inflated prices?

McLovin;n8903750 said:
i didn't know they did that, especially in light of the above from their website "We build every club by hand to the tightest tolerances and to the exact specifications dictated by your fitting."

if cc is just ordering the clubs from the oem, where is the value proposition in paying their inflated prices?

I think you hit the nail on the head. I do not see how CC can reconcile those two ideas. At a minimum, they should stand behind the product they sell, regardless of whether they built it or had it made directly by the OEM. If not, then what is the value added by ordering through them?

I would also like to add that I really hate hearing about zola10's experience. Everyone should be happy with their new clubs. But, I have never had an issue with the factory built F9 OL set that I have, and I have played at least 30 rounds with them, and countless rage sessions off of mats, grass, and just about everything else. All clubs are still solid. I point this out not to diminish zola's issues, but to highlight that sometimes issues can arise on a very limited basis. I just wish CC would have helped their customer a bit more and worked with the OEM on a company to company level to make the consumer happy.

McLovin;n8903750 said:

I completely agree, I was under the impression they built all of the clubs ordered until I read this thread and saw that post in their FAQ.

Im going to chime in here because there is some confusion. Yes Club Champion has OEM builds, but as a brand they dissuade from doing this. In the end if a consumer wants it done that way (sometimes its a cost savings) they will go that route, yet the Perfect Fit guarantee does not apply to clubs they do not build.

At that point, a warranty issue would be with the manufacturer not Club Champion. Normally the process is that Club Champion would fix the clubs (even though it should go to the OEM), but if a customer refuses and wants refund, that would have to go back to the company, since it is their clubs and their build.

OGputtnfool;n8903613 said:
Good question because a cracked ferrule means absolutely nothing other than it's not pretty anymore.

If the shafts are loose or cracked it’s definitely an issue but if it’s just the ferrules that are cracked, it sucks, but I’d still game them

This just all sounds so bizarre as if something is being left out. What I’m really confused about is why cobra would build the clubs instead of CC if the OP never requested CC Not to build the clubs.

What a mess.

wubears71;n8903887 said:
This just all sounds so bizarre as if something is being left out. What I’m really confused about is why cobra would build the clubs instead of CC if the OP never requested CC Not to build the clubs.

What a mess.

Are you sure that request wasn't made? I don't think he mentioned whether who he requested to build them (having the OEM build them saves a bit of money I would imagine).

I went back and reread the entire thread and am now really confused as to why the OP is upset with cobra or CC. Here is what I can gather
  • The OP purchased the set at CC but had the set built by Cobra to save some money.
  • Two clubs malfunctioned and CC worked with Cobra to get them repaired/replaced, which is common practice for OEM builds - fix the broken clubs, not replace the entire set.
  • The OP was not happy with that option so CC offered to completely rebuild the clubs to CC specs.
  • The OP was not happy with that solution and instead wants different clubs, which really is not an option since cobra will not refund a custom set.
So, from what I gather cobra is standing behind their product by offering to replace the defective clubs and CC is going above and beyond their obligation by offering to rebuild the entire set themselves.

I just don’t see the issue. I have a set from CC and they are dead nuts on spec when I measure them with all my club maker tools - swing weight, length, loft and lie. I cannot say that about my OEM builds, which is why I choose to pay the CC premium for my gamer clubs.

What am am I missing?

wubears71;n8903944 said:
I went back and reread the entire thread and am now really confused as to why the OP is upset with cobra or CC. Here is what I can gather
  • The OP purchased the set at CC but had the set built by Cobra to save some money.
  • Two clubs malfunctioned and CC worked with Cobra to get them repaired/replaced, which is common practice for OEM builds - fix the broken clubs, not replace the entire set.
  • The OP was not happy with that option so CC offered to completely rebuild the clubs to CC specs.
  • The OP was not happy with that solution and instead wants different clubs, which really is not an option since cobra will not refund a custom set.
So, from what I gather cobra is standing behind their product by offering to replace the defective clubs and CC is going above and beyond their obligation by offering to rebuild the entire set themselves.

I just don’t see the issue. I have a set from CC and they are dead nuts on spec when I measure them with all my club maker tools - swing weight, length, loft and lie. I cannot say that about my OEM builds, which is why I choose to pay the CC premium for my gamer clubs.

What am am I missing?

I believe that is a good summary of events. It looks like the hang up is that the OP wants different clubs and a refund. I don’t believe that will happen. CC looks to be caught in the middle.

Back