Broken shafts in new cobra irons

wubears71;n8903944 said:
I went back and reread the entire thread and am now really confused as to why the OP is upset with cobra or CC. Here is what I can gather
  • The OP purchased the set at CC but had the set built by Cobra to save some money.
  • Two clubs malfunctioned and CC worked with Cobra to get them repaired/replaced, which is common practice for OEM builds - fix the broken clubs, not replace the entire set.
  • The OP was not happy with that option so CC offered to completely rebuild the clubs to CC specs.
  • The OP was not happy with that solution and instead wants different clubs, which really is not an option since cobra will not refund a custom set.
So, from what I gather cobra is standing behind their product by offering to replace the defective clubs and CC is going above and beyond their obligation by offering to rebuild the entire set themselves.

I just don’t see the issue. I have a set from CC and they are dead nuts on spec when I measure them with all my club maker tools - swing weight, length, loft and lie. I cannot say that about my OEM builds, which is why I choose to pay the CC premium for my gamer clubs.

What am am I missing?

Never mind

Danimal;n8904010 said:
I believe that is a good summary of events. It looks like the hang up is that the OP wants different clubs and a refund. I don’t believe that will happen. CC looks to be caught in the middle.

Except that CC isn’t. CC could say “too bad” but instead is offering to rebuild all the clubs. They don’t have to make that offer, but they do.

Maybe I’m reading too much into it. But it looks like the OP found something newer and shinier in the Titelist clubs and nothing other than that is not good enough.

wubears71;n8903944 said:
The OP purchased the set at CC but had the set built by Cobra to save some money.

not trying to be contrary, but where is this mentioned in the story?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

McLovin;n8904041 said:
not trying to be contrary, but where is this mentioned in the story?

It’s been danced around. I’m making an assumption. As far as I know, CC will not do this unless requested by the CC customer. As JB posted the guarantee and warranty when the customer chooses to go the OEM build route.

zola10;n8892378 said:
It is interesting but Club champion did not build these, I know they normally do but in this case they came built by cobra. At least that is what I been told.

wubears71;n8904047 said:
It’s been danced around. I’m making an assumption. As far as I know, CC will not do this unless requested by the CC customer. As JB posted the guarantee and warranty when the customer chooses to go the OEM build route.

i don’t really infer that from what he said early on in the thread. but like you and jb said, if it’s cc’s policy to only use the oem when the customer requests, that would definitely change the narrative significantly.

i’m really curious about how exactly this all went down.

I went back and reread the entire thread and am now really confused as to why the OP is upset with cobra or CC. Here is what I can gather
  • The OP purchased the set at CC but had the set built by Cobra to save some money.
  • Two clubs malfunctioned and CC worked with Cobra to get them repaired/replaced, which is common practice for OEM builds - fix the broken clubs, not replace the entire set.
  • The OP was not happy with that option so CC offered to completely rebuild the clubs to CC specs.
  • The OP was not happy with that solution and instead wants different clubs, which really is not an option since cobra will not refund a custom set.
So, from what I gather cobra is standing behind their product by offering to replace the defective clubs and CC is going above and beyond their obligation by offering to rebuild the entire set themselves.

I just don’t see the issue. I have a set from CC and they are dead nuts on spec when I measure them with all my club maker tools - swing weight, length, loft and lie. I cannot say that about my OEM builds, which is why I choose to pay the CC premium for my gamer clubs.

What am am I missing?
For me the issue is simple, you sold me a set of clubs that broke, not cracked literally had the club heads fly 40 yards both times, and I’m unhappy with the clubs. After something like that any reputable company would take the clubs back, specially when I offer to buy another set.
Every single time I swing one of those clubs I wonder if the head is coming off. Having been in sales for a while I know that it is worth keeping a customer happy when they have a legit claim even if it means you take a small loss. Not to mention that part of their loss would have been covered by me purchasing another set. This entire ordeal just leaves a bad taste and o definitely wouldn’t deal with any of those people again.

i don’t really infer that from what he said early on in the thread. but like you and jb said, if it’s cc’s policy to only use the oem when the customer requests, that would definitely change the narrative significantly.

i’m really curious about how exactly this all went down.

I didn’t request oem make, I didn’t even know there was a difference. I went to get fitted, picked out the cobras and he ordered them. It makes no difference for me who puts them together and wasn’t told there was a difference. I find it funny that buying a set of clubs from a retailer that break within two rounds doesn’t warrant a refund.

Iron heads flying 40 yards could really hurt someone badly if it struck someone. I'd be afraid to use them too.

Dave

This is a tough one. It seems that the best customer service here would for Cobra to redo the entire set. I think someone in the thread mentioned that earlier, and also that Cobra and other OEMs don't refund custom clubs. Heck many retailers have pretty tough lines on custom clubs as well.

Anyways, if Cobra redid the entire set, it could allow you to trust the clubs again. Frankly, they should throw in a few pieces of swag and a handwritten apology note for the troubles.

But, it looks like you're past that with the purchase of new clubs. Definitely can sympathize with where you're at - maybe not getting a reasonable conclusion to this at all.

I had Cobra reshaft a set of irons I bought second hand earlier this year. I did it directly through Cobra. I had three shafts break at the tip. After the second break, they had me send the whole set back to be checked. After the third break, they took the whole set back and reshafted them with a different model. No problems since.

It was frustrating, but Cobra did make all the fixes and paid for overnight shipping both ways for each time. I never asked for a refund though, I just wanted them fixed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Are they KBS shafts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This is a tough one. It seems that the best customer service here would for Cobra to redo the entire set. I think someone in the thread mentioned that earlier, and also that Cobra and other OEMs don't refund custom clubs. Heck many retailers have pretty tough lines on custom clubs as well.

Anyways, if Cobra redid the entire set, it could allow you to trust the clubs again. Frankly, they should throw in a few pieces of swag and a handwritten apology note for the troubles.

But, it looks like you're past that with the purchase of new clubs. Definitely can sympathize with where you're at - maybe not getting a reasonable conclusion to this at all.

What do you consider “a reasonable conclusion” to this?

I had a Cobra F9 5 iron head fly off back in June and now the 7 iron head flew off. They want to reshaft them but the whole process will take about a month. I'm really bummed out about it

I had a Cobra F9 5 iron head fly off back in June and now the 7 iron head flew off. They want to reshaft them but the whole process will take about a month. I'm really bummed out about it

It is amazing how frequently this seems to be occurring. I have owned 5 different sets of Cobra irons and this has never happened.

I have dealt with two customers this year with orders from Cobra that had shafts fail at the hostel, one was a F9 set with KBS Tour and the other was the CB with KBS C Taper. As the retailer, we are only able to send the clubs back to Cobra for repairs/replacement as the warranty is handled by the manufacturer.

I have dealt with two customers this year with orders from Cobra that had shafts fail at the hostel, one was a F9 set with KBS Tour and the other was the CB with KBS C Taper. As the retailer, we are only able to send the clubs back to Cobra for repairs/replacement as the warranty is handled by the manufacturer.
Have you seen similar circumstances with other OEMs, or only specific to Cobra?

Its a KBS issue more than it is any head. Its the underlying theme with nearly every Cobra issue in 2019.
It has been rectified we have been told, but the most important thing is every person that has had an issue, has been offered a fix.

I have only had it with Cobra, but I think it is more of a shaft issue due to it only being KBS shafts. But as JB stated, Cobra was quick to take care of the issues.

Return the whole set to where you purchased from.
OEM would like to know what exactly happened there. Many of the OEM contracted out the assembly process to multiple certified assembly centers for putting the components together.
Strange the steel shaft would snap at the hosel..... could it be the light weight thin walled shaft matched with unprep hosel ?
If they put the light weight shaft into an unprepared ( coned ) hosel, the sharp edge of the hosel would act like a pipe cutter through use of the clubs.
I'm guessing someone had lack supervision somewhere in the assembly process.

send in the set to get redone then sell them to recoup the cost

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

They didn't build these clubs, which he made a big deal out of, however they didn't tell me that it would make a difference who builds the clubs. I got fitted by them and ordered the clubs through them which for me means they would stand behind the product. It just leaves a bad taste the way they have dealt with the situation.

I purchased cobra irons last year and shortly after clubs arrived after being shipped to me I had 2 of the club heads break off right in the same spot as your has and now this year I've had 3 more break right in that same spot. I've had similar interactions with cobra and Golf Galaxy where I purchased these from and I was just told by both that I would have to send each in on a club by club basis which is just ridiculous. It's very unnerving to go out and play a round of golf and you have no idea if your club heads are even going to stay attached to the shaft and Cobra's lack of willing to take accountability in this is quite concerning. Ideally they should offer a refund of rebuild the whole set instead of making me have to send each broken club in one at a time.

I play those exact irons except I went full CB's instead of flow. I have never had a single issue. Of course there are misses by OEM's it happens for every company. But this seems strange to me.

Didn't Cobra build them though? Why wouldn't they warranty them? If that's what's happening it's ridiculous and you should try to speak with someone else at Cobra Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That must be because of how club champion builds the clubs and not cobra. Which makes me wonder why the OP doesn't have them fixed and is opting for a different set. I am confused..

Although, he did say it was a custom order from Cobra...

More confusion..

I have never had a shaft snap in my Cobra irons. On the other hand, I did have to have a local guy remove and reapply epoxy in all the heads because they all came loose. There did not seem to be much epoxy used in them. I also had Cobra reshaft them back in January or February and my 8i head again came loose and had to have epoxy reapplied.

What a crazy story. Hope that the issue has been resolved now. I don't have KBS in mine but have hit quite a few balls into a net during quarantine time with no problems yet! Fingers crossed. I have Nippon Modus 105 in mine.

Back