Brood X Cicada Emergence

Still cool here. I assume the next day it hits the 80 here it will start. The end of the week is a run of 80's so it's go time in Louisville.

I was reading soil temps need to hit 64 and usually they come out after a big rain, is this true? We are going to be close to 90 most of this week so I am scared, really, really scared. And of course @JB is out of town so I have to walk Arrow every day, and he has stitches in his eye so I am trying to be extra cautious with where he sniffs. This is going to be a nightmare!

I was reading soil temps need to hit 64 and usually they come out after a big rain, is this true? We are going to be close to 90 most of this week so I am scared, really, really scared. And of course @JB is out of town so I have to walk Arrow every day, and he has stitches in his eye so I am trying to be extra cautious with where he sniffs. This is going to be a nightmare!
That's it. Yeah as soon as it's warm all day and it doesn't cool down at night it will be go time because the soil will heat up sufficiently. I would guess the rain helps soften things up for them, but it's probably not neccasary.

It's started aggressively at my house. I imagine within the next week, we'll be full tilt.

A friend just sent me this article...I am not even sure how to react to this, it's both horrifying and hilarious.

That's incredible, and I don't know if I'm even more intrigued by this process or scared that there is brain-controlling fungi!

Have to admit - I laughed out loud at the "gender-bending, death-zombie fungus" comment.

This gives me anxiety in a level I can’t even begin to express. I may have to medicate myself until they are gone, but I read they are here for weeks.
haha, it's pretty remarkable, honestly.

Last time they were around, I was in college. It was somewhat spectacular, somewhat strange, and SUPER annoying.

haha, it's pretty remarkable, honestly.

Last time they were around, I was in college. It was somewhat spectacular, somewhat strange, and SUPER annoying.
I kind of want to experience it... and I'm not a fan of bugs/insects.

I kind of want to experience it... and I'm not a fan of bugs/insects.
think end of days type movies with the crazy bug swarms, but, these dudes are blind, stupid, loud, and do no harm to people hahaha

think end of days type movies with the crazy bug swarms, but, these dudes are blind, stupid, loud, and do no harm to people hahaha
That's precisely why I want to see it! Maybe not experience it for the full duration, but maybe for a day or so!

We get these critters out here, and sometimes their buzzing sound can get loud. Its been a few years since I have noticed them.

Since I have tinnitus, I dont usually hear them that well. My wife will tell me they are around.

Ugh, this description is not helping my anxiety.
You know when you're walking somewhere and you have to get out of the way of someone else who's either not paying attention or looking the other way or something?

That's basically the cicadas hahaha

Freaking nightmare!
It's going to be a nuisance, definitely.

The great thing? Other than when you 'have' to be outside, they aren't like flies or mosquitos or anything like that... They aren't going to magically find a way into your house and drive you bonkers in there hahaha

It's going to be a nuisance, definitely.

The great thing? Other than when you 'have' to be outside, they aren't like flies or mosquitos or anything like that... They aren't going to magically find a way into your house and drive you bonkers in there hahaha

Yeah well, I need to walk Arrow twice a day, and his new thing lately is needing to go out in the backyard every few hours, so I am outside a lot more than I would like. Like I said, freaking nightmare!

I've gotten better with bugs as I have gotten older, but this is on a whole different level, and I am NOT looking forward to it.

Yeah well, I need to walk Arrow twice a day, and his new thing lately is needing to go out in the backyard every few hours, so I am outside a lot more than I would like. Like I said, freaking nightmare!

I've gotten better with bugs as I have gotten older, but this is on a whole different level, and I am NOT looking forward to it.

We have had a few hundred around but they are starting to REALLY come now. This is going to be an interesting few weeks.

We've had some mediocre temps here... 60-ish with some higher temps.. But this week is going to have some solid heat to it.

We'll see what that means, but so far I haven't seen anything at all.

They will be here for about 6 weeks. They will slowly emerge in my area I think this week as it's starting to warm up, which will be their trigger. Mrs. Nut is freaking out :eek: she hates any insect that flies. So looks as though she's going to be spending a lot of time indoors. :ROFLMAO:

i love cicadas...growing up in japan, they were the first signs of summer and their dwindling mating calls were the first signs of the end of it. every year. like clockwork.

You'd be over it long before that hahaha

You explained a cicada emergence perfectly LOL!

The only people that will be excited are people that study and love insects. Every animal that eats insects will also be very healthy this year.

You explained a cicada emergence perfectly LOL!

The only people that will be excited are people that study and love insects. Every animal that eats insects will also be very healthy this year.
We get Cicadas every year and it's fun to watch the birds on the fence hunt them down.

Never heard of them and live in NE Ga.
I guess I was too young to remember 17 years ago.

648ACBF6-92C6-410E-99E7-3B15B9662393.jpeg

Back