Brooks comments on the Ryder Cup

I'll give him this....he's honest and not afraid to voice his opinion.
He obviously is not a "team player" and makes no bones about it.
I personally wouldn't have him on my team, but that's just my opinion.

There are 3 or 4 posts in the first 20 on this thread with some pejorative name for Brooks.

Yeah, sure, it's about 'patriotism'. I have to reread Brook's comments. What did he say that was unpatriotic?
Your comment about "loving the team more than the players do" shouldn't apply to a Country being represented, should it? I absolutely get the argument if we're talking about Mr First rounder getting paid to come to your city and play ball, but for a guy playing for a Country, that SHOULD be motivation/love/etc enough.

Also, I don't see anyone throwing a fit in the first 20 posts. I see Brooks being thrown under the bus a bit, but that's not a fit (and he kind of deserves it hahaha).

Your comment about "loving the team more than the players do" shouldn't apply to a Country being represented, should it? I absolutely get the argument if we're talking about Mr First rounder getting paid to come to your city and play ball, but for a guy playing for a Country, that SHOULD be motivation/love/etc enough.

Also, I don't see anyone throwing a fit in the first 20 posts. I see Brooks being thrown under the bus a bit, but that's not a fit (and he kind of deserves it hahaha).
Brooks doesn't like playing in the Ryder Cup or the Presidents Cup (there are probably others who are just not as forward about it). We want him to be fired up and gungho, but he's not and that's ok.

Brooks doesn't like playing in the Ryder Cup or the Presidents Cup (there are probably others who are just not as forward about it). We want him to be fired up and gungho, but he's not and that's ok.
So dont play.

Sure... For you.

I've got no issues with people wanting the guys representing them/Country to show some passion and commitment to the event. Lots of guys can replace an uninterested Koepka.

For three days every two years, the players are asked to put their team/country before their own preferences.

Why is this so difficult?

Sure... For you.

I've got no issues with people wanting the guys representing them/Country to show some passion and commitment to the event. Lots of guys can replace an uninterested Koepka.
I mean, he was asked about his experience at the Ryder Cup.

For virtually all of your career, you get to set the schedule and make the rules and be responsible for your own performance. How does that mesh with the Ryder Cup experience? Is it strange being on a team?

It’s different. It’s hectic. It’s a bit odd, if I’m honest. I don’t want to say it’s a bad week. We’re just so individualized, and everybody has their routine and a different way of doing things, and now, it’s like, OK, we have to have a meeting at this time or go do this or go do that. It’s the opposite of what happens during a major week. If I break down a major week, it’s so chill. You wouldn’t even believe me. I go to the course. I play nine holes. I go work out. Other than that, I’m sitting and watching TV, taking my mind off golf with relaxing stuff. The physical part, I can handle. The mental side, you have to be able to turn it off. Sometimes, the power comes from being able to turn it on. But for me, I get power from turning it off. That’s been a huge, huge thing for me that I really haven’t understood until the past five or six years of my career.

Right about when you started winning majors.

It comes from understanding who you are.

But, as you said, at a major, you’re only concerned about yourself. At the Ryder Cup, that dynamic is different.

It’s tough. There are times where I’m like, I won my match. I did my job. What do you want from me? I know how to take responsibility for the shots I hit every week. Now, somebody else hit a bad shot and left me in a bad spot, and I know this hole is a loss. That’s new, and you have to change the way you think about things. You go from an individual sport all the time to a team sport one week a year. It’s so far from my normal routine. I can barely see my [personal] team. It’s hard to even go to the gym. At the Presidents Cup in New York, we had to go to the gym at 5 a.m. to get it in. We went to the Equinox, and it was me, Dustin and Tiger, and we come back and go to a team meeting. Under regular conditions, I take naps a lot. I might take an hour, hour-and-a-half nap, or just chill on the couch and watch “SportsCenter,” before rounds, after rounds, whatever. There’s no time to do that at the Ryder Cup. There’s no time to decompress.

I mean, that doesn't read as controversial as people make it out to be. Maybe I'm just being an apologist.

So dont play.
This is a good time to announce that I am deciding not to participate in the 2020(1) Ryder Cup

For three days every two years, the players are asked to put their team/country before their own preferences.

Why is this so difficult?
Every year.

Every year.

It’s professional golf not working 12 hours shifts in a hospital or manufacturing.

Dude said it himself, in a normal tournament he’d be decompressing by watching television on the couch. And now we have to feel sympathetic towards his POV because he has to interact with his teammates in a team golf event as opposed to watching TV on the couch? I mean cmon. Let’s have some accountability. Dude basically just said he likes the golf portion of the Ryder cup and nothing else. Well the other stuff is what makes the Ryder Cup the Ryder Cup. It’s a voluntary tourney if you don’t like it don’t play. If you can’t buy into the extra stuff then don’t play. Plenty of others that would love the chance.

College golfers do this every single tournament they play in with meetings, team dinners, etc. Brooks played college golf at FSU so this isn’t foreign. It’s only 1 week and he’s had two weeks of rest. I just don’t subscribe to having to be able to mentally decompress. Brooks is the same guy that shames dudes who take 40 seconds to mentally commit to the shot. It’s all birds of the same feather.

It’s professional golf not working 12 hours shifts in a hospital or manufacturing.

Dude said it himself, in a normal tournament he’d be decompressing by watching television on the couch. And now we have to feel sympathetic towards his POV because he has to interact with his teammates in a team golf event as opposed to watching TV on the couch? I mean cmon. Let’s have some accountability. Dude basically just said he likes the golf portion of the Ryder cup and nothing else. Well the other stuff is what makes the Ryder Cup the Ryder Cup. It’s a voluntary tourney if you don’t like it don’t play. If you can’t buy into the extra stuff then don’t play. Plenty of others that would love the chance.

College golfers do this every single tournament they play in with meetings, team dinners, etc. Brooks played college golf at FSU so this isn’t foreign. It’s only 1 week and he’s had two weeks of rest. I just don’t subscribe to having to be able to mentally decompress. Brooks is the same guy that shames dudes who take 40 seconds to mentally commit to the shot. It’s all birds of the same feather.
I mean, did you read his actual quotes about it? He was asked what makes it different.

Lol

I'm with blu, here. They asked him what's different, he said what's different for him. He even says its not a bad week, just different. I think some folks who don't like him already are just reading way too much into it.

Brooks: This week is different because we usually play as individuals and now we play as a team, and its a difficult transition. Here's are some examples of how I normally spend my time, which I'm not able to do for this event.
Haters: Argh! If he hates it so much, why play?

I'm with blu, here. They asked him what's different, he said what's different for him. He even says its not a bad week, just different. I think some folks who don't like him already are just reading way too much into it.

Brooks: This week is different because we usually play as individuals and now we play as a team, and its a difficult transition. Here's are some examples of how I normally spend my time, which I'm not able to do for this event.
and he obviously hates 'Merica because he needs to decompress after a round.

I mean, did you read his actual quotes about it? He was asked what makes it different.

Lol

I did read his actual quotes. Getting asked what is different is fine, but he could have answered with the same response without mentioning that it’s tiring and he doesn’t see the point in why it’s different? He’s the one that started down the road of complaining about it.

I understand where you are coming from that he is allowed to honestly answer how he feels, but that doesn’t change the fact that his POV is bs. He has mentioned the importance of the Ryder cup a million times when trying to downplay him and Bryson but if you don’t care about fully buying in then you aren’t doing your best to win the cup and he’s being a hypocrite.

Reactions: JB
I did read his actual quotes. Getting asked what is different is fine, but he could have answered with the same response without mentioning that it’s tiring and he doesn’t see the point in why it’s different? He’s the one that started down the road of complaining about it.

I understand where you are coming from that he is allowed to honestly answer how he feels, but that doesn’t change the fact that his POV is bs. He has mentioned the importance of the Ryder cup a million times when trying to downplay him and Bryson but if you don’t care about fully buying in then you aren’t doing your best to win the cup and he’s being a hypocrite.
We read his quote differently. Oh well.

Hit 'em straight.

You have to understand this with context of this year’s ryder cup. The theme this year has been Team Europe has been bought into the “team” aspect more than the US and that is thought to be a contributing factor as to the US losing.

when you are trying to bring back that team culture to the Ryder Cup and one of your most influential players says, well all the extra stuff is unnecessary I would be better served decompressing by watching tv and napping how do you think that helps build that culture. Just like I mentioned to @blugold he could have mentioned the ways it is different without framing it like complaining or downplaying aspects of the team portion of the Ryder cup, but he’s the one that took it there.

Brooks should probably just decline to be interviewed.

He seems to dislike doing them and more often than not, when he opens his mouth, he comes off as being a prick. He may, or may not, be one… I don’t know and don’t really care. (I’m sure he would understand that attitude)

It seems that all he really wants to do is play golf and not have to deal with people. Let let him do that.

You have to understand this with context of this year’s ryder cup. The theme this year has been Team Europe has been bought into the “team” aspect more than the US and that is thought to be a contributing factor as to the US losing.

when you are trying to bring back that team culture to the Ryder Cup and one of your most influential players says, well all the extra stuff is unnecessary I would be better served decompressing by watching tv and napping how do you think that helps build that culture. Just like I mentioned to @blugold he could have mentioned the ways it is different without framing it like complaining or downplaying aspects of the team portion of the Ryder cup, but he’s the one that took it there.
If the last 18 months has taught me anything, it's that Americans, in general, are not good at sacrificing simple individual comforts for the betterment of a larger group.

one of your most influential players says, well all the extra stuff is unnecessary
I must have missed this part. I tried to find it but still had no luck. Could you point it out to me?

It doesn’t matter one bit what he or any other player says to the media. What matters is how he and everyone behave in that team room behind closed doors. I’m sure he’ll do just fine (although I am hoping he doesn’t actually give a flying whatever about the Ryder Cup LOL).

It doesn’t matter one bit what he or any other player says to the media. What matters is how he and everyone behave in that team room behind closed doors. I’m sure he’ll do just fine (although I am hoping he doesn’t actually give a flying whatever about the Ryder Cup LOL).
I mean, it kind of matters.

Reactions: JB
I mean, it kind of matters.
Only to you and other folk that frequent golf forums. If he acts like he’s part of the team in the team room, I very much doubt the other 11 players will give 2 hoots about what he apparently said to the media.

Hit
I must have missed this part. I tried to find it but still had no luck. Could you point it out to me?

All the quotes put together.

In the OP article link he mentions how the obligations leave him dead on Sunday.

He mentions that Major Weeks (where he performs well) “it’s chill” and he has a “routine”. Then for the Ryder Cup he mentions “we have to go to meetings, and team building”

"The mental side, you have to be able to turn it off. Sometimes, the power comes from being able to turn it on but I get power from turning it off."

If someone is talking about about being individualized, and saying that obligations contribute to low energy and that power comes from turning it off we can make inferences that he isn’t a fan of the meetings.

if I came out and talked about how a Taylormade driver doesn’t go as far as other drivers, and that I just prefer Callaway more, and etc. just because I never explicitly said Taylormade drivers are bad doesn’t mean that isn’t what I’m insinuating.

Btw I’ve hit a sim 2 and loved it this was just an example not TM slander lol.

Only to you and other folk that frequent golf forums. If he acts like he’s part of the team in the team room, I very much doubt the other 11 players will give 2 hoots about what he apparently said to the media.
You think forum members are the only ones reading this hot-take spin articles on Brooks interest in golf?

There would be no tour media if it didn't matter to any avid golf fan what the pros say.

Hit

All the quotes put together.

In the OP article link he mentions how the obligations leave him dead on Sunday.

He mentions that Major Weeks (where he performs well) “it’s chill” and he has a “routine”. Then for the Ryder Cup he mentions “we have to go to meetings, and team building”

"The mental side, you have to be able to turn it off. Sometimes, the power comes from being able to turn it on but I get power from turning it off."

If someone is talking about about being individualized, and saying that obligations contribute to low energy and that power comes from turning it off we can make inferences that he isn’t a fan of the meetings.

if I came out and talked about how a Taylormade driver doesn’t go as far as other drivers, and that I just prefer Callaway more, and etc. just because I never explicitly said Taylormade drivers are bad doesn’t mean that isn’t what I’m insinuating.

Btw I’ve hit a sim 2 and loved it this was just an example not TM slander lol.
Oh ok, I guess we're just reading the actual words differently.

I don’t really like Brooks but I don’t see anything wrong with his take. The Ryder Cup is different than every other week they play and I can see how it might be hard to play your best if your routing is totally changed.

Back