Brooks comments on the Ryder Cup

Sure, maybe. I can't answer why Brooks still plays in it. But I doubt he's the only golfer who really dislikes the Ryder Cup environment, but he is the only one who had the cajones to say it. Which I appreciate.

The canned fake answers are boring and I appreciate Brooks saying what he feels.

If he doesn't like it, then maybe say a thing or two to the people in charge about what they can do to improve it. Maybe less BS galas and synergy building team meetings, and something that actually makes it kind of fun. I know there has to be meetings and the like, I get that. The Europeans seem to look like they're having a lot of fun, and the US look like they're going on a family camping vacation where there's no cell signal :rolleyes:

So wait. Brooks' answers are real because they go against the grain, but others are fake because they enjoy the environment or don't speak against it? I mean sure, you can reach there, or maybe others just appreciate the event more and enjoy the camaraderie.
Yup. That's my reach. I bet other golfers dislike playing in the Ryder Cup but don't go about saying it.

I appreciate Brooks saying something that he probably knew at that moment would ruffle feathers and not making the choice to give a canned answer that he didn't actually believe.

If he doesn't like it, then maybe say a thing or two to the people in charge about what they can do to improve it. Maybe less BS galas and synergy building team meetings, and something that actually makes it kind of fun. I know there has to be meetings and the like, I get that. The Europeans seem to look like they're having a lot of fun, and the US look like they're going on a family camping vacation where there's no cell signal :rolleyes:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So wait. Brooks' answers are real because they go against the grain, but others are fake because they enjoy the environment or don't speak against it? I mean sure, you can reach there, or maybe others just appreciate the event more and enjoy the camaraderie.
Camaraderie - in past interviews he has said that he’s not friends with any of the other golfers on Tour and doesn’t want to be. He said he already has his own friends and doesn’t need any more. So I don’t imagine the camaraderie with the Ryder Cup team is anything he’s looking forward to, or even particularly wants to be a part of.

I just don’t think he is a good fit for the team event. Nothing he said in this interview posted in the OP makes me change my mind. Nor this excerpt from a different article.
View attachment 9028191

Now that is someone excited about the Ryder Cup.

At least he is speaking his mind and not just giving some kind of canned answer.

Personally I would think playing in a RC would be a great honor and be a lot of fun.

hahahahaha no yeah, he's totally into the Ryder Cup.. He's just misunderstood. :oops:

I do get some of his statements. But yeah, I agree. I just don't think he's into it. Even if he was part of a winning team and played well in that one.

I'm not a BK fan and never have been. He's one of only a handful of tour players I hope loses every week.

But I've got to say, I don't have a problem with him not getting exited about the RC, not making friends with other tour players and not being concerned with saying the right things.

As long as he's ok with all the things that come about when one speaks their mind. If he continues to play well, he'll make a very good living. Maybe that's all he wants from the game???

IMO, all he owes anyone - fans, teammates, sponsors - is to play as well as he's capable of playing. Anyone on either team who doesn't do that is a POS as far as I'm concerned.

IMO, all he owes anyone - fans, teammates, sponsors - is to play as well as he's capable of playing. Anyone on either team who doesn't do that is a POS as far as I'm concerned.
You think no showing team practice with all of the captains is fair game? I understand the injury, but its quite odd. Asking genuinely.

I appreciate that perspective. It seems to align well with the Ryder Cup record of the USA.

I'm just not into it. The Ryder Cup SHOULD bring out more.

You think no showing team practice with all of the captains is fair game? I understand the injury, but its quite odd. Asking genuinely.
I think a better question is why was he chosen for the team in the first place? He is who he is and it isn't like he's just now started acting like a douche nozzle.

To answer your question, no, I wouldn't want him as a teammate. He's not good enough to counter the distraction to the rest of the team. But that's on the Captain or the system of selecting players (of which I'm ignorant and don't feel like googling). If I have a co-worker who acts in a detrimental way and is allowed to get away with it, shouldn't I be just as pissed with management for letting that happen?

I appreciate that perspective. It seems to align well with the Ryder Cup record of the USA.
You can't put that all on BK. Not saying you are, but maybe there's something other than attitude going on.
I'm just not into it. The Ryder Cup SHOULD bring out more.
It does for most players, IMO. There's just too much emotion for them not to care a great deal.

I think a better question is why was he chosen for the team in the first place? He is who he is and it isn't like he's just now started acting like a douche nozzle.
he wasn’t chosen, he qualified. Yet seems to have made it clear by the no show and thoughts that he doesn’t want to be there.

The entire thing is super weird, but definitely on brand.

Yet seems to have made it clear by the no show and thoughts that he doesn’t want to be there.
I'm not sure why he chose to be there but IMO he's not obligated to act a certain way if there are no rules in place preventing that. As I said in my previous post, I don't know much about the Ryder Cup. I enjoy watching the competition but it's not the end of my world when Europe beats the US.

So, does Stricker have to play him in any of the matches? If not, do you think he should?

I think it's fair to make the argument that he didn't specifically say that he "didn't want to be there" or "didn't like the Ryder Cup" but I'll challenge this..

Why make the water muddy? Why not say it's an incredible event, a privilege to represent the Country, and worth his time? Why not be a great steward of the game for five minutes instead of pushing the 'despite golf' narrative that he's so entrenched with?

Why not give the fans a little nugget to show he actually gives a f*** about it? What harm would that do?
If it's not genuine, it could be harmful for him. I mean you're basically asking him to dance. I think he's probably giving his fans exactly what they'd expect by now.

After that root he hit at East Lake, I wouldn't be practicing either.

If it's not genuine, it could be harmful for him. I mean you're basically asking him to dance. I think he's probably giving his fans exactly what they'd expect by now.
not at all. I'm asking him to get out of the way if he doesn't care about it or winning or repping the USA.

not at all. I'm asking him to get out of the way if he doesn't care about it or winning or repping the USA.
So back to the he doesn't feel about it how I want him to feel about so he shouldn't do it thing then. 🙁

So back to the he doesn't feel about it how I want him to feel about so he shouldn't do it thing then. 🙁
Maybe we should ask his other 11 teammates, who just spent some time in Wisconsin how they'd feel about it.

I doubt this is an "I" sort of thing.

Reactions: JB
Maybe we should ask his other 11 teammates, who just spent some time in Wisconsin how they'd feel about it.

I doubt this is an "I" sort of thing.
If a teammate says they don't like how he said something, or don't like him, or just don't want to be his teammate, I'm fine with that too. They're saying how they feel about him. Not telling him how he should feel.

People say they want candid answers from athletes/celebrities/whoever, but they really don't. They want the 'candid' answers they want to hear.

I really just don't see how him thinking that a different routine and obligations is different and not his favorite is that big of a deal. If you're not desperately wanting him to feel how you want him to feel about it, it really isn't. It's one guy saying he'll miss a nap or two and have to talk to people. I mean, Lol. Brooks is Brooks. The only guy I have less respect for here is Azinger.

Also gained some respect for @Snowman last night. I thought we had a great exchange. I think we disagreed, and then we had a conversation, and I don't even know we came down on exactly the same side in the end or not, just that we heard each other, shared a laugh, and he shared some honest feelings about it. I don't have to agree with a guy like that to know I like him. That was good stuff.

Last edited:
I'm not a BK fan and never have been. He's one of only a handful of tour players I hope loses every week.

But I've got to say, I don't have a problem with him not getting exited about the RC, not making friends with other tour players and not being concerned with saying the right things.

As long as he's ok with all the things that come about when one speaks their mind. If he continues to play well, he'll make a very good living. Maybe that's all he wants from the game???

To me, this is the difference between Koepka and a guy like Patrick Reed. Reed is an a-hole, makes no bones about it, and gives absolutely zero effs what anybody thinks of him. He has fully embraced the role. Koepka is an a-hole, loves to project his 'I'm too cool to care' image and pretend he gives zero effs what anybody thinks of him - but then he gets butthurt and defensive when he takes heat over it. If you're gonna play tough guy, butch up and walk the walk.

Also gained some respect for @Snowman last night. I thought we had a great exchange. I think we disagreed, and then we had a conversation, and I don't even know we came down on exactly the same side in the end or not, just that we heard each other, shared a laugh, and he shared some honest feelings about it. I don't have to agree with a guy like that to know I like him. That was good stuff.
Likewise, sir. It was a fun conversation, whether we came down on the same side or not! (y) If we all only loved blondes, there'd be a lot of pi**ed off brunettes and redheads in the world, wouldn't there? :ROFLMAO:

To me, this is the difference between Koepka and a guy like Patrick Reed. Reed is an a-hole, makes no bones about it, and gives absolutely zero effs what anybody thinks of him. He has fully embraced the role. Koepka is an a-hole, loves to project his 'I'm too cool to care' image and pretend he gives zero effs what anybody thinks of him - but then he gets butthurt and defensive when he takes heat over it. If you're gonna play tough guy, butch up and walk the walk.
BK is a rebel without a cause clue. He'll show all those sponsors and fans he doesn't need any of them!

I don't know. It's professional sports. I can't let this sort of thing get to me. I have my favorites and those who I hope fall flat on their faces. I stopped watching the NBA because of the selfish attitudes and if the PGA ever reached that level I'd do the same. But I don't think it will. BK is just one more DB in a world full of them.

Back