Brown deer golf course, iowa

WiGolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
We have our annual golf outing to a mana colonies, Iowa. But we always leave the complex for 1 round. This year we're headed to brown deer. Was wondering how that compares to finkbine?

IMO....finkbine is old school parkland. brown deere is a shot makers delight. I'm not saying you don't have to make shots at finkbine....but there is a deeper emphasis placed on being precise at Brown Deere.

finkbine....btw....is where I honed my game as a kid. good good times.

Never played Finkbine, but Brown Deer is fun. Lots of elevation changes and its well maintained. Its a great value.

Posted via Tapatalk.

I have to admit, as many accolades as Finkbine gets, nothing stood out to me. After playing several rounds at Amana, I just thought that I could miss at Finkbine, where as at Amana, I would be in the woods if I missed. I am looking forward to playing Brown Deer.

I have to admit, as many accolades as Finkbine gets, nothing stood out to me. After playing several rounds at Amana, I just thought that I could miss at Finkbine, where as at Amana, I would be in the woods if I missed. I am looking forward to playing Brown Deer.

I agree...its alot of hype. Crow Valley is a much better CC.

What are your thoughts on Brown Deer?

I know one Brown Deer in Milwaukee. I can't believe there is another course with the same
Name! Must be good if it carries the name.
I played Finkbind while in college and enjoyed. I was of course a young lad at the time but our golf team played several events there. There are better in the great state of Iowa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're heading over to Iowa City to play you should just drive the extra 10 minutes south and play Blue Top Ridge at Riverside. It's a Rees Jones designed course and in my opinion, is head and shoulders above either Finkbine or Brown Deer. Brown Deer is sort of an odd course. You can tell the front and back nines were designed years apart by different people as the front 9 is fairly wide open. This is the opposite of the back 9. The gripe I have about Brown Deer is that the back 9 (which is basically the original front 9) seems like they just didn't have enough space to design the holes even after they redesigned a number of them. There are a number of holes I would describe as "tricked up". Having said that, I usually play Brown Deer a couple of times a year and always enjoy myself.

I would take that a step further and say you should drive to the Quad Cities and play TPC Deere Run. That said, I haven't played Blue Top Ridge and it may be spectacular as well. TPC is an awesome course that will challenge you everywhere.

Yep. TPC Deere Run is a great course and I need to get back there a couple of times this year. I was just throwing out Blue Top since it's only a couple of minutes from where they were originally going. Heck if he's staying in Amana, I'd actually recommend he go play The Harvester over by Marshalltown as that course is tremendous. I think I saw that it came in again in the top 100 public courses in the country--at something like #39.

Not to derail the thread, but let me know if you plan on coming over this way, Haggis. We have some THP representation around the QC.

Will do.

Back