Bryson DeChambeau at the Masters?

Let me add small bets never more than $20 per player. Also won on Finau to place in PGA and might put $20 same again. On the fence with J. Thomas who would be next in.

I actually think Rory will recharge and win and BD in top 5.

Augusta has always seemed like a course where controlling your ball with approach shots, mental game and putting are the most important skills. Alastair MacKenzie courses commonly have greens that are receptive to approach shots from certain angles and where the ball has to be in a specific area of the green to have a real chance of making the putt. I’m not sure those are BDC’s strong suits. I expect someone else to win.

He is bringing a 48" driver which will add 10-20 yards to his longest drives. There is little to no rough. I had him pegged as a Masters contender as soon as I saw what he was up to in June. There is no reason to believe he won't be near the top. From there it's just a few breaks here and there to win. The big difference at Augusta is that the mere 300 yard hitters won't be dealing with obstacles that he doesn't have to face which means the strokes gained advantage is more like 2-3 instead of 8-10. He will have to bring more of his game to Augusta then he had to at Winged Foot. Ironically he will need to be more accurate too since his balls are going to roll into trouble and trouble at Augusta is pine needles, being tree hooked, and water.

Last edited:
I believe he'll do very well, somewhere in the top 5.

After last weekend I couldn't help but to laugh thinking about the first Bryson thread on here. The one where he was getting slammed for being different, using one length clubs and there were so many that said he'd never win.

He is a streaky player and his shots around the green (chips especially) are not very precise. Shots around the green (chipping and putting) is one area that has always been a differentiator at Augusta. I think he'll be in contention but I'm not sure if he can go back to back. Others are rounding into form so hopefully we get a good masters!!

I hope he wins just so we can discuss what his dinner selections will be.

The poise he showed on Sunday at the Open will not be there at the Masters...1 or 2 errant wedges and/or putts and he goes into "WTF...hand pointing at the ball and hole mode"

Winner winner champions chicken dinner

He's an interesting one. I think of Bryson as a player with less talent than the top players who devised a way to win. That makes him relatable in that maybe "joe sixpack" golfers like me can learn from him and improve. He did it piece by piece. One length and swing for consistency. Then a big exploration with putter (remember the side saddle?) ending up with a distance method and armlock. And then he transformed his body and swing for distance. And what is remarkable about his distance is how well he controls it. But I also see him as a novelty. He has running room now -- hello Masters -- but how long before the field follows suit and takes away that novelty. Regardless, he is crazy fun and interesting right now.

All aspects of his game including his iron play, wedge play, short game and putting will need to be on. He is not the only one who can hit the ball far.

I think he'll finish in the top 5.
Will anything less than a win be a let down? No, unless he completely falls apart.
I am pulling for him. I love it when all the naysayers get shut down.
I can't wait to see what he does with the 48" driver.

These stats argue that he is not just a long ball striker.

Strokes Gained Final round: 1st (+7.90)
Strokes Gained Total: 1st (+22.37)
Driving Distance: 7th (325.6yds)
Strokes Gained Off The Tee: 3rd (+5.38)
Strokes Gained Approach: 3rd (+6.98)
Strokes Gained Around The Green: 2nd (+5.42)
Strokes Gained Putting: 18th (+4.59)
Fairways Hit: T26th (23/56)
Greens In Regulation: T5th (46/72)
Putts Per Hole: T11th (1.60)
Sand Saves: T44th (1/3)
Birdies: T4th (13)
Eagles: 1st (2)
Double Bogeys: 1st (0)

I would imagine he'll perform well... But this is a fickle game and sustained play like we just saw at the Open is very difficult to maintain and repeat... Will see!

For some reason I just don't see him winning the Masters. Sure he'll pound the course in to submission but Augusta is the kind of course that seems like it can bite back and get him pretty frustrated. I'm usually completely wrong on these things though.

I don't think he wins this year, but think he'll get one in the next three years.

Swing lines. These are MONEY. Look how square his club is thru impact. Hard to bet against that. #GovernorSZN

I think he will be in the mix if he has the distance control with his irons he had last week and he chips and putts as well. I was just as impressed with his short game this week as I was with his long game. His power obviously helps him out of the rough but Matt Wolff wasn't really giving anything away in the power department but he wasn't as good around the greens.

Where is Koepka? I want him Bryson and Reed to play together. They would be funny and would end up fighting each other. Also, they will not win. Three jerks.

Bryson's been one of the scrambling leaders this (resumed) season and that's one of the most underrated aspects of his play. Ultimately it comes down to his putting, because all of those things (length, scrambling) will put him in position to succeed.

Top 5 (hard to say anything but that for the guy, no matter the tourney.)
More finesse to Augusta. And much more offline potential without the rough. If he can blast that driver in the fairway?
Nothing stopping him then. But I just have a sneaking suspicion the wedges will be more an issue at Augusta. One Length on notice?
Also more uphill/downhill shots that don't favor brute strength as much.

Very much look forward to the Masters. Hope they get conditions to really test them again.

I'm assuming he spends most of the time until then in the lab identifying what he needs and addressing it. Which is why I'm not sure pointing out specific problems means much.

It all comes down to performance, which is fickle, but the guy is Ben Hogan level obsessive, Dave Pelz level data driven, and has the body and disposition of the Terminator.

He's really the only person out there that could potentially be a revolutionary figure. Not so much just from raw distance and power, rather his breaking down the game into a science and being able to cope with that much thinking while still performing.

Weren’t people just falling over themselves saying how there’s no way Dustin Johnson wouldn’t win the US Open given his dominance in the FedEx Playoffs? Although I think Bryson plays well (top10 for sure) I don’t think he wins the Masters.

I love the way Bryson has used the data to come up with a game plan and changed his swing. If he continues to have success with the One Length and Arm Lock putter, we will start to see more amateurs gravitate that way. Maybe even a few pros could take the off year to try and bulk up a bit. I remember when Tiger did something similar with weights and then other golfers did the same. Nothing in comparison to Bryson, but weight training became a thing.

I do feel Bryson is going to be very competitive at the Masters. The smash and chip idea could go a long way for the time being and it may be the final nail needed to the Bifurification of clubs. I seriously hope they don't use Bryson as the reason to hurt the other 99% of golfers out there that are not going to be him.

Bryson is going to be a force on the PGA and I look forward to watching him versus the new young guns. The Masters is going to be very exciting.

Back