Bryson DeChambeau Thread

No need to apologize-- all good here.

I saw something similar to this happen at the Memorial last year on Sunday. Brian Harman chunked a chip, and proceeded to smash the ground repeatedly after doing so. Granted not the green, but still a massive hissy fit was thrown. Wasn't on TV, or on Twitter but I'd put it right in the same category as DeChambeau's fit this past weekend.

I'd have no problem scrutinizing him as well or anyone else who does something like this. Ultimately this guys are professionals and should act so while on the course. I don't care if it's Bryson doing what he did, Rory throwing his club in the lake, or someone dropping F-bombs. They should all be held to a high standard as kids look up to these guys.

I'd have no problem scrutinizing him as well or anyone else who does something like this. Ultimately this guys are professionals and should act so while on the course. I don't care if it's Bryson doing what he did, Rory throwing his club in the lake, or someone dropping F-bombs. They should all be held to a high standard as kids look up to these guys.
Absolutely-- I like Bryson for all his quirks/outbursts/slow play etc.. I probably look past that stuff to the golf he plays but man is he making it difficult for me to defend.

We can all agree this was excessive right??

Hard to tell without seeing what he was tamping down and the ground after he finished. I saw the video. If he was hitting the same spot every time, then there's a good chance it was excessive. If it was a large area that needed multiple strikes and he was landing in adjacent spots each time, I can see where it might have been fine.

You know, much of that stuff gets a pretty quick pass from me, especially the language. Sure, kids don't need to be hearing f bombs, but at the same time, if you shoved a mic up my *** all day when playing competitive golf I'm sure I'd say it a decent amount.

Throwing in the lake? You look like an idiot, but you're only harming your ability to play the rest of the round (and again kids don't need to see this but it's a teaching moment for Dad at home).

My biggest problem with this (and I'm genuinely annoyed it's Bryson who did it because it becomes a Bryson thing more than the real problem) is that it can genuinely damage the golf course and alter the experience for anyone following that group. It'll probably be fine within days, but it's not okay.

Hard to tell without seeing what he was tamping down and the ground after he finished. I saw the video. If he was hitting the same spot every time, then there's a good chance it was excessive. If it was a large area that needed multiple strikes and he was landing in adjacent spots each time, I can see where it might have been fine.
He wasn't tapping down nails, he was tapping down grass.

Maybe, but it seems that the way he was holding the putter and how many time he beat the ground. He was making a point.

Absolutely-- I like Bryson for all his quirks/outbursts/slow play etc.. I probably look past that stuff to the golf he plays but man is he making it difficult for me to defend.

I feel the same when Rory does some questionable stuff or simple walks off the course with a questionable "injury".

Maybe, but it seems that the way he was holding the putter and how many time he beat the ground. He was making a point.

Making a point? For sure.

Damaging the green? Not clear at this point.

How many groups were behind him? Did anyone complain?

He was pissed and took it out on the green. Did he damage the green? Video did not show and announcers didn't speak of any.

Making a point? For sure.

Damaging the green? Not clear at this point.

How many groups were behind him? Did anyone complain?

If the Italics is true, the bold does not matter.

If no one is behind you, do you/should you fix your pitch marks?

You know, much of that stuff gets a pretty quick pass from me, especially the language. Sure, kids don't need to be hearing f bombs, but at the same time, if you shoved a mic up my *** all day when playing competitive golf I'm sure I'd say it a decent amount.

Throwing in the lake? You look like an idiot, but you're only harming your ability to play the rest of the round (and again kids don't need to see this but it's a teaching moment for Dad at home).

My biggest problem with this (and I'm genuinely annoyed it's Bryson who did it because it becomes a Bryson thing more than the real problem) is that it can genuinely damage the golf course and alter the experience for anyone following that group. It'll probably be fine within days, but it's not okay.

Protect the field, what if Reed had to play through that and ended up losing :eek::eek::eek:

I think another story that is developing as of recent is whether or not Bryson is a "closer". Blowing the lead on the back 9 at Dubai in January and now yesterday in Mexico with a few holes to go, does he have a hurdle to clear come Sunday?

I think another story that is developing as of recent is whether or not Bryson is a "closer". Blowing the lead on the back 9 at Dubai in January and now yesterday in Mexico with a few holes to go, does he have a hurdle to clear come Sunday?
Certainly does, but we have seen these go both ways. Player comes close a few times then breaks through, or they don't and they slump hard the rest of the season.

I can't stand watching this guy play. Between the slow play and temper tantrums on the course (including this spike mark ordeal and driving range meltdown), he just strikes me as incredibly selfish and immature. I'm embarrassed for him, and it's uncomfortable to watch.

Certainly does, but we have seen these go both ways. Player comes close a few times then breaks through, or they don't and they slump hard the rest of the season.

Im not sure, despite a bit here. I believe they said his record with leading on weekend this weekend and I think it was close to as good as anybody. I am trying to find the stat Now.

Is this really any better than some of the stuff we saw out of Garcia last year on the greens?

nope. that's pretty bad. clearly taking out his frustration not "fixing". Trying to give Bryson the benefit of the doubt after seeing the video feels like mansplaining.

I can't stand the sight of him and could care less if he even wins or even gets in the mix again, butttt who amoung us has not tomahawked a wedge or wanted to destroy a putter or a green at some point? I can safely say I have never damaged a green but quite a few wedges have been harmed or at least frightened in the past.

Now of course there are some on the forum that are perfect and follow all the rules and never do anything wrong ever in their lives, but they are the exception to the rule imo.

I like that Bryson does things his own way. But that putting setup looks so...stiff? Just seems to be full of tension in the arms. I guess it must not be for him, because he’s pretty good with it, but I imagine if normal golfers copy this it will not help them very much.

I like that Bryson does things his own way. But that putting setup looks so...stiff? Just seems to be full of tension in the arms. I guess it must not be for him, because he’s pretty good with it, but I imagine if normal golfers copy this it will not help them very much.

I was reluctantly at a birthday party yesterday afternoon with some family friends. One of the guys who's not a golf fan sat down to shoot the breeze while we were watching the end of the WGC. He made the comment that Bryson looked to be in pain while putting, and remarked there was no way that is comfortable.

It does not look very comfortable!
1582579310962.jpeg

If the Italics is true, the bold does not matter.

Well, it's definitely true that it's unclear whether he damaged the green.

If no one is behind you, do you/should you fix your pitch marks?

Yes. That's what it looked like he was doing to me. Looked like he was fixing a blemish on the green.

Only thing I saw was that he's 0-6 when holding the lead after 36 holes. Still way early into his career but just something I've noticed last few tournaments when he seems to take the foot off the accelerator down the stretch. Something to watch this year.

Back