Bryson Hitting Bombs

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Just saw this and found it intriguing. Bryson DeChambeau is known for a lot of things on tour. Most don’t usually think longest hitter. Currently Bryson is leading the PGA Tour in driving distance.

Currently using a Cobra driver with LA Golf shaft.

A282F630-BB36-4044-8E61-C2940586EFED.jpeg

Does Rory only hitting 32 drives have to do with the fact he still hits his 3w 275 or whatever so he doesn't hit driver as often?

I wonder how much hit fairways hit percentage has changed.

• Admin
Does Rory only hitting 32 drives have to do with the fact he still hits his 3w 275 or whatever so he doesn't hit driver as often?

Not really. Less tournaments. They only measure a couple of drives each tournament.

Jack Nicklaus will say it's because of the ball.

Those of us with common sense know it's because he lifted weights and bulked up like crazy.

I admit that I poked fun at him for his beef up efforts. But his bigger boy play has been solid. He wanted more distance and is seeing benefits beyond just distance. His approach from the rough on 18 at the API was very impressive. His putting posture still freaks me out, but I picked him for the Players. He’s pumped 😁 and ready to win.

The thing is his swing looks so effortless.

I was listening to the tournament last Friday and he bombed one to a part of the course nobody had been at with a driver. I got to thinking that he had caught my attention with some bombs at other tournaments as well, including the President Cup.

Is Mexico skewing these numbers slightly?

he said he was going to get crazy strong to pick up distance. he absolutely has. but at what cost? I've been watching him play, and his short game - particularly shots from 125 and in - has been abysmal. he will hit a 340 drive, then have to grind over an 8-footer for par because the next 2 shots have been so bad. maybe he's just been focusing on distance so much that he has neglected this short game, because i feel like that didn't use to be a liability. either way, it doesn't seem to have helped much from what I've seen.

I admit that I poked fun at him for his beef up efforts. But his bigger boy play has been solid. He wanted more distance and is seeing benefits beyond just distance. His approach from the rough on 18 at the API was very impressive. His putting posture still freaks me out, but I picked him for the Players. He’s pumped 😁 and ready to win.
I was also concerned as a lot of times bulking will hurt their game. He has proved me wrong. Now he just needs to win.

Man, I need to keep up. I could swear they said on Sunday that he was" Roasting it". Too many terms. :ROFLMAO:

I love seeing him just inflicting pain in the ball. The swing just doesn’t look as fluid as many others on the list but that distance speaks for itself

Can’t disagree that his driving distance has increased but as a bystander I wonder if his driver dispersion to date in 2020 vs. 2019, same time period has gotten worse?

it just seems that other parts of his game including putting has dropped off this year but no facts to back it up, just an observation from my golf analyst couch. For whatever reason he just seems more mechanical and has less rhythm.

He is using an older cobra driver at that. Still playing the LTD pro.

absolutely crushing the ball. He seems to be getting close to controlling it.

trying to validate his "I get to my ball faster" arguments is tough when you're the last one to hit :ROFLMAO:

Think he made that comment last year when he was hitting 1st. Now he can say “I’m always waiting for it to be my turn since I have to wait to hit”.

Just saw this and found it intriguing. Bryson DeChambeau is known for a lot of things on tour. Most don’t usually think longest hitter. Currently Bryson is leading the PGA Tour in driving distance.

View attachment 8931043

He using the Trono in there?

he said he was going to get yolked and hit bombs - say what you want, but a liar he is not

he said he was going to get crazy strong to pick up distance. he absolutely has. but at what cost? I've been watching him play, and his short game - particularly shots from 125 and in - has been abysmal. he will hit a 340 drive, then have to grind over an 8-footer for par because the next 2 shots have been so bad. maybe he's just been focusing on distance so much that he has neglected this short game, because i feel like that didn't use to be a liability. either way, it doesn't seem to have helped much from what I've seen.

I haven’t watched him play recently, but if it’s true his short game is a mess then it’s scary to think what the results would be if he got that part of his game in line, considering his past 3 events have been top 5 finishes.

That top ten list all by itself invalidates the USGA's argument that distance is a problem. Other than Bryson and Rory, who else on that list is consistently anywhere near the top of leaderboards?

Is he still using the LTD?

Back