Bryson Leads in Distance with Record Setting Number

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Bryson DeChambeau finished this year averaging 322.1 yards off the tee. This is the highest single season distance mark of all time. He edged out Cameron Champ by less than a yard.

With all of the distance talk, the previous record was from over 15 years ago when Hank Keuhne averaged over 321 yards.

1-2-1024x692.jpg

Continue reading...

15 years huh? Yep let's rollback the equipment! 🙄🙄

Doesn’t bode well for the roll back the tech side of the argument I would think with finally breaking a 15 yr record.

Don't they measure this stat weirdly? Like only take a drive or two per round for the average?

• Admin
All the emotion around Bryson and distance... and he only edged Champ by a yard lmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaao

Actually less than a yard. .1 yards.:)

Yea but what did Hank Keuhne eat for breakfast.

Hank was an absolute beast..

ut oh.....now comes the Todd Graves accolades regarding single plane swing. Oh well...if it works...it does.

I am not sure how accurate these numbers are as it was the first time a flightscope was used but I am going to put there here and check back later.. 2004 tiger 185 ball speed, phil 180 and Daly blows it by all of them by 40 yards. Haha.

only 322....lame

All the emotion around Bryson and distance... and he only edged Champ by a yard lmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaao

i wonder if champ went on a tear and won or contended every week for a stretch, whether he would be the poster child for the "distance is bad" crowd. champ's distance is so graceful, bryson looks like he's playing tug of war.

i wonder if champ went on a tear and won or contended every week for a stretch, whether he would be the poster child for the "distance is bad" crowd. champ's distance is so graceful, bryson looks like he's playing tug of war.

Of course there wouldn't be an issue. Cam Champ didn't suddenly find length and isn't a rookie.

321 is a number often touted by a certain on line instructor as if he did it consistently with an effortless, passive arms, swing. On one demo, he took three balls, numbered them with a sharpie and all three shots landed either on the green or near it.

Negative strokes gained I thought I saw.

When equipment is rolled back or distance limited, I propose an age cutoff as a way to phase in changes for amateurs. Let's use an arbitrary age, say 55. ;) To those under 55 .... you can always move up a tee box. 😇

Pros ... IDK. Let 'em whack the ball. I like seeing the carnage when they miss the fairway into long ugly rough. They can't resist the temptation. And how about a little longer grass on the fairways so they don't roll like bowling alleys. Save on mowing costs. Win, win.

Negative strokes gained I thought I saw.

PGA Tour website shows him #1 SG off the tee, gaining 64.417 shots in 2020. Interestingly enough, Cam Champ is #2, 4 shots behind.

Let's do the correct math here.
2003 Hank took the top spot.
17 years ago.
And the sampling was over 91 rounds, versus 62 for B.A.D. :cool:

Let's do the correct math here.
2003 Hank took the top spot.
17 years ago.
And the sampling was over 91 rounds, versus 62 for B.A.D. :cool:

Im not sure I see any math to do :confused2:

Im not sure I see any math to do :confused2:
Figure of speech. ;)
I had to go back to 2003 for the year on the PGA Tour site. Love it amongst all the "distance" talk.
I knew the number of drives would be less considering the length of this season.
Make's Hank's numbers look pretty astounding back then. And the distance debate pretty moot.

This may not be the best place for this tangent, but I did find it kind of funny in PGA2K21 that the basic average drive is around 285 yards. Personally, I don't think distance is the problem, but its an odd look when they make sure their video game characters keep it under 300.

Any statistics on accuracy? I’m curious if DeChambeau hit more fairways this season.

Congrats to Beefy Bryson! I get blinded by the sheer ridiculousness of some of his drives, but need to take a step back and marvel at how he dedicated himself to transform his game. I need to find a fraction of that dedication, I’m sure there’s some lying around the house somewhere...

Back