Bryson Leads in Distance with Record Setting Number

how many tournaments did Brysons average come from vs the number of tourneys Champ actually played in? Then I did some Google'ing and find out they were both 15 cuts made....

I mean Bryson was 15 cuts for 17 and Champ was 15/20

so even steven

Agreed, although I don't think the course or setup will suit his game. We shall see.
Interesting though is since the restart, he does have 5 top 10s and a win. Including a top 5 in the only major this year so far.

While time will tell on his career, I always find it amusing how the results are dismissed, especially when comparing it to other bombers such as Cam Champ or even Finau.

the course not fitting him I think is what we all kind of wanted to see though isn't it? I mean I know I did as a way to see the more longevity of this approach. Not every course plays like Detroit golf club. Yes, he can overpower courses as he did in June. But he wasn't able to do that at Memorial, St. Jude, Northern Trust, BMW, or the Tour Championship. He's trending in the not so great direction.

Still behind DJ in the Win column though 🎆🎆🎆🎆🎆

the course not fitting him I think is what we all kind of wanted to see though isn't it? I mean I know I did as a way to see the more longevity of this approach. Not every course plays like Detroit golf club. Yes, he can overpower courses as he did in June. But he wasn't able to do that at Memorial, St. Jude, Northern Trust, BMW, or the Tour Championship. He's trending in the not so great direction.

I think that is fair. I do think as players grow, they pick and choose their setups better (see Tiger), but in a shortened season that wasn't really applicable.
I can make the case that he has had as good a 2020 as anybody in golf not named DJ or JT. 7 top 10s in a row with a win is a strong statement.

Was it just a hot streak and the tail end is more what we see? No idea. But a guy that hits it a ton and wins is something the tour has been searching for for a while in my opinion.

Still behind DJ in the Win column though 🎆🎆🎆🎆🎆

Is his approach only justified if he becomes the #1 player in the world?

Reactions: JB
I think it's crazy that he edged Champ by a yard and that the record lasted 15 years. I wonder how far keune would hit it playing today's equipment.

I'm curious to see the distance correlation to wins though for the last 15 years, because i had never heard of Keune before.

DJ is the number 1 player.

Right. Discussing DeChambeau - is Bryson's approach only justified if he is the #1 player in the world?

Right. Discussing DeChambeau - is Bryson's approach only justified if he is the #1 player in the world?

who cares about being world #1

Win tournaments ✅

win majors ✅

win 💰 ✅

pretty sure you can accomplish all that and not be world #1

What’s the downside to his approach, except for cameramen?

There seems to be an undercurrent in this thread hoping Bryson will crash and burn because he is challenging concepts of the game. Thinking outside the box and it’s irking some people’s traditional mindsets. He has a different swing. So does Bubba Watson, Jim Furyk, Matt Wolfe... Bryson was a great golfer before his changes and he’s a great golfer now. Still early in his career...It’s an interesting journey and I’m glad we get to watch it. Btw, DJ hits the gym too... and works routines that help his swing.

If anything, I would think we would embrace players who advance the ball in their own unique ways within the rules of golf. Pushing boundaries, challenging ideas... that’s how we grow, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So... you're saying everyone over 55 is grandfathered and not subject to the rollback? Make it 48 and I'm in.:)

I’m almost 42 and doing a perfectly fine job of dialing back the distance myself, thank you very much!

I’m almost 42 and doing a perfectly fine job of dialing back the distance myself, thank you very much!

Bryson doesn't hold a candle to you Smiter #Bomber

Bryson doesn't hold a candle to you Smiter #Bomber

Lol. I got nothing left in the tank. Should change my name to “feebly swipes at ball”.

All the emotion around Bryson and distance... and he only edged Champ by a yard lmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaao
Haha yup. I wish Champ would have beat him out.

Thats just bananas.. he's been crushing them, and just going to get even further in time

Actually less than a yard. .1 yards.:)
That’s fair. What did he improve over his previous year or best? That’s a better comparison.

sticking to the point of the distance results, not wins or anyones personal opinions, I dont think ive seen anyone mention that Bryson's huge distance didnt really start until after the restart

The 8 tournaments he played prior to covid probably brought down his distance much more. After covid id have to think he averaged over 330 yards

Last edited:
Bryson DeChambeau finished this year averaging 322.1 yards off the tee. This is the highest single season distance mark of all time. He edged out Cameron Champ by less than a yard.

With all of the distance talk, the previous record was from over 15 years ago when Hank Keuhne averaged over 321 yards.

Continue reading...

Kuehne led John Daly by 7 yards on average (although JD had a lot less measured drives). Here's the Top 10 from 2003. Matthew Goggin was 10th at 299.8. So 9 Pros averaged over 300 yards.

In 2020, the first Pro on the list to average UNDER 300 yards off the tee is Cameron Smith, also at 299.8, but 73rd place. So 73 players compared to 9. No issue there.

2003 Driving Distance Leaders
Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 7.39.49 AM.png

2020 Driving Distance Leaders
Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 7.50.28 AM.png

Last edited:
I can drive over 300yds so these numbers aren't that impressive to me. I can go toe to toe with any of these players, and longer than most.

who cares about being world #1

Win tournaments ✅

win majors ✅

win 💰 ✅

pretty sure you can accomplish all that and not be world #1

What’s the downside to his approach, except for cameramen?

I'm confused.

In your mind, are you arguing that Bryson's approach is only made worthwhile if he becomes the best performing golfer every week, and no one ever beats him? He seems to have improved in every measured way, why get worked up over how he's done it?

Back