Bryson Power Program

Templet0n

washed...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
snow..
So.. Bryson has me tweaked and I reached out to a friend of mine who is a college track and field coach. Specifically in the area of throwing sports. Shot put, Discus, etc. I figure if anyone has a clue on how to develop high power output that could translate to a golf swing he would.

We have been working on a program and I am in the testing phase. I think it could be pretty good. I will keep you posted and share the details of it once I have it worked out.

Sounds interesting! I golf with a guy who did shot put. It will be interesting to follow your journey.

So.. Bryson has me tweaked and I reached out to a friend of mine who is a college track and field coach. Specifically in the area of throwing sports. Shot put, Discus, etc. I figure if anyone has a clue on how to develop high power output that could translate to a golf swing he would.

We have been working on a program and I am in the testing phase. I think it could be pretty good. I will keep you posted and share the details of it once I have it worked out.

Wait a minute... don't you already hit the ball like 340? (y)

Courses will need to add longer Tee boxes soon ;)

Nice! Great idea

Cool. Can you share any of your initial insights?

I’m always down for some more distance! Definitely going to follow this

It's only good if your in the fairway. :p

Cool. Can you share any of your initial insights?

Initial thought is breaking training and planning into three sections. Skill, Speed and and power.

Skill - is going to be swing related. That does necessarily not mean lessons or anything like that though it could. It is mostly for the purposes of speed and being dynamic. I have a few different training aids. A old school speed stik, and swing chain that will be the focus of this section.

Speed - This will be heavy on plyometrics, core, and sprinting, Med ball exercises.

Power - While I am going to continue with some standard gym exercises, there are a few exercises that are proven power boosters, They are mainly olympic is style. Cleans, dead lifts, squats, and bench. Snatches are great, but I will not do these as I don't trust them and injury is higher risk.

With all of this the goal is to be as explosive as possible. I am trying to work out a schedule that both stretches me, but is also able to be stuck to. I am not a pro golfer with unlimited time. I have 3 kids, and a job.

EDIT** Also, Stretching. There will be stretching and yoga. Yoga, is one of my fav things.

The time is there, but I don't want another job.

Speed should also include golf specific over speed training, but otherwise seems like a solid plan.

Initial thought is breaking training and planning into three sections. Skill, Speed and and power.

Skill - is going to be swing related. That does necessarily not mean lessons or anything like that though it could. It is mostly for the purposes of speed and being dynamic. I have a few different training aids. A old school speed stik, and swing chain that will be the focus of this section.

Speed - This will be heavy on plyometrics, core, and sprinting, Med ball exercises.

Power - While I am going to continue with some standard gym exercises, there are a few exercises that are proven power boosters, They are mainly olympic is style. Cleans, dead lifts, squats, and bench. Snatches are great, but I will not do these as I don't trust them and injury is higher risk.

With all of this the goal is to be as explosive as possible. I am trying to work out a schedule that both stretches me, but is also able to be stuck to. I am not a pro golfer with unlimited time. I have 3 kids, and a job.

EDIT** Also, Stretching. There will be stretching and yoga. Yoga, is one of my fav things.

The time is there, but I don't want another job.
Sounds well thought out!

Speed should also include golf specific over speed training, but otherwise seems like a solid plan.

Of course. That will 100% be included.

I wonder if I could "buff up" at 65 years old and crush some killers down the fairway? Is it ok to dream? :cool:

It's only good if your in the fairway. :p

Not necessarily. As long as I'm not blocked by trees or other obstructions, I'll take all the distance I can get.

One of Bryson's biggest focuses has been end range of motion, I think it's good that you've thought about that stuff. Interestingly enough, he doesn't stretch or do much static. Big focus on flexibility in explosive moves

One of Bryson's biggest focuses has been end range of motion, I think it's good that you've thought about that stuff. Interestingly enough, he doesn't stretch or do much static. Big focus on flexibility in explosive moves

100% range of motion is a focus. I tend to get short already, So I need to make sure that strength over range is maintained.

Awesome 👍 job on the program development.lookimg forward to more on this issue.

Thanks, I will try to be detailed and share.

I'm all about squat, bench and deadlift.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I am sitting here trying to work on this. trying to figure out a doable schedule. My goal is to make this something that can be done in 20-30 min give or take. I don't want this to take forever or there is no way I will do it.

Very simple. Overspeed training. Winter of 2017-2018 I worked a program hard and got back into the very low 130’s CHS with driver. At 39-40 years old. Didn’t work it the next year and dropped down to 120 max.

Then crashed my car, almost croaked, and now swing like 105-107. But I’m alive:)

Any serious gain like that in the offseason will be the result of diligent overspeed training. Plain and simple, it works. I’m shocked more pros don’t use it. Gives a decided advantage.

Good luck with that, would be very interesting to see the outcome. My back gave out just reading that though :ROFLMAO:

I am getting close to having something worked out. It is really hard to put it all on paper. Too many thoughts and I am not a training.

So way back when....25 years....I had a bud who hit it just like me...Back then my swing speed was about 115 with Driver...I had it measured at PGA Event wearing dockers and swinging a foreign metal shafted driver, it just wasn't common back then to have your swing measured......Anyway, my bud kinda gave up on golf and took up power lifting...He got real good with dead lifts...So he did that for 3 or 4 years without playing any golf. He got bored with the power lifting and came back to golf....He was just stupid long...The club we played at has 8 par 4's that are 375 or less. He drove them all in his first year back. He became known as Godzilla...He got a good job with Hartford in marketing and went to a pro am event and played with clients and Charles Howell III circa about 15 years ago....Charles was like WTH is that as he mashed it 50 by him....So moral of story.....distance can be garnered by bulking up like Bryson etc....and it can be garnered by speed training...Doing both might be best way but that is a lot of commitment...

Back