Bryson speed session

millsan1

I've figured this game out! Oh wait, no I haven't
Reaction score
Handicap
14?
Just look at how hard he is grinding looking for small improvements.

The amount of effort he puts in, off the course, is impressive.

Great article. He is definitely approaching an area in the game where 1% changes are going to be big. He's on a different plane than everyone else in everything he does. Like it or not he's changing the game.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

seeing some of the video... no way that net is big enough. I would for sure hit the bench on the right within 3 swings.

alot of people hate him for whatever reason but Im a fan. really love his work ethic and constant desire to improve

I really hope he has a big year and puts it all together

After reading the entire article, my thoughts of bryson haven't changed. He is an insanely hard worker and at the very least is not afraid to take the road less traveled if not someone who prefers to do things differently than everyone else.

Also, he is a weird guy, but maybe that is necessary to do things outside the norm.

I like it, but so far the returns this year have not been good. He is way less accurate and unlike last year it is costing him a bunch of strokes to this point. Hopefully he can get dialed in and hit the ball a bit straighter.

Also, he is a weird guy, but maybe that is necessary to do things outside the norm.
This is one of the things I like most about him, truthfully.

alot of people hate him for whatever reason but Im a fan. really love his work ethic and constant desire to improve
Agreed. TBH, his example is at least part of the inspiration for my motivation to work hard to improve. I've even incorporated one of his workout sets into my leg day at the gym.

After reading the entire article, my thoughts of bryson haven't changed. He is an insanely hard worker and at the very least is not afraid to take the road less traveled if not someone who prefers to do things differently than everyone else.
I don't think he does things differently to be different, but because he's willing to question the common wisdom.

I like it, but so far the returns this year have not been good.
He's constantly experimenting. E.g.: Perhaps as a result of some time he's spent with Kyle Berkshire, it seems he's all-but-abandoned single-plane swing and relying quite so much on bulling his way to long drives.

Personally, once I get to where I'm happy with my game (wherever that is), I'll probably be content to leave well enough alone and strive to build on that--or at least maintain it. But Bryson has different goals.

This is one of the things I like most about him, truthfully.

I don't hate it, I think golf is better with him, Reed and Koepka in it, who in some form or another are different than the rather milquetoast majority of the tour. I do dislike it when he takes hours to play what should be minutes and berates staff for doing their job.

Any guesses on how long his 100 ball session lasts? He seems to go at it with some rapidity.

Agreed. TBH, his example is at least part of the inspiration for my motivation to work hard to improve. I've even incorporated one of his workout sets into my leg day at the gym.

I don't think he does things differently to be different, but because he's willing to question the common wisdom.

He's constantly experimenting. E.g.: Perhaps as a result of some time he's spent with Kyle Berkshire, it seems he's all-but-abandoned single-plane swing and relying quite so much on bulling his way to long drives.

Personally, once I get to where I'm happy with my game (wherever that is), I'll probably be content to leave well enough alone and strive to build on that--or at least maintain it. But Bryson has different goals.

his swing has not changed too much. Still locked out arms single plane stuff. Just added a ton of violence haha. I hope he gets things straightened out. Golf is fun when he is in contention because there is soo much hate for what he is doing..

The more and more I see this stuff, the more and more i think its going to hurt his game in the long run.

Hes got the following this season:
T-7
T-18
CUT
T-22

Im not rooting against him or anything. But its beginning to worry me about his winning potential. Far is great. Far and controlled is better. Back off a bit on the distance and focus in on your obviously erratic short game and putting. Control everything.

Look to the guys that have won or finished second in every tournament hes played n thus far.

Morikawa: long enough but a ton of control everywhere.
Hovland: Same
Horschel: Same

Homa: Long Enough and very controlled game tee to gren
Finau: Long, Says hes longer than anyone else but yet chooses to dial it back for control
Ca. Smith: Longish, good putter lots of control

DJ: LONNNNG. Control. Putting
Rose: Long enough. Control. Game shaping back up after injury
Fianu: See above

H. English: Pretty long, good putter
Nieman: avg dist. good iron player
J. Thomas: Long, somewhat sporadic when he goes after it, great ball striker and iron player.

I just dont know what comes from this for him. Hopefully success. But if you focus in too much on one single aspect of golf, inevitably other things start failing.

He definitely has a supreme work ethic, I just wonder how much time he is spending on this vs the other parts of his game. It is also just so hard to swing at this speed and keep it in play. I mean the Long Drive guys only need to get 1 ball in the grid, bryson has to hit fairways (well at least keep it in play and out of trouble).

While Bryson may not be my favorite tour pro out there, you really can't knock his dedication and work ethic.... on that alone i would hope that he reaps the benefits of his hard work. I would be concerned with his ability to maintain this swing speed.... I can only think is, if not 100% physically and synched up, his move could cause some serious damage.

seeing some of the video... no way that net is big enough. I would for sure hit the bench on the right within 3 swings.
Ditto!

Say what you will about DeChambeau, but I don't think anyone can question his work ethic.

Say what you will about DeChambeau, but I don't think anyone can question his work ethic.

I agree completely. I also respect the fact that he is willing to take chances and make a commitment to get better. I do think he has taken it a bit too far right now potentially past the point of diminishing returns. Maybe it just takes some time and reset again to the increased speed but there is also the chance he has gone too far. I believe I read recently that he was going to stop bulking up and maybe slim down a touch. That could be in the right direction.

My guess is if Bryson and his team don't see these training sessions paying off with results on the course then they will alter what they do. Last year after the restart he had a spectacular run, so continuing on that same path makes sense. If the wins don't come I would guess less time on speed training and more time on areas where the stats reflect he is lacking. I doubt he goes away from chasing speed completely but I have been wrong a time or two.

Thanks for posting. I liked the article. He really grinds!

My guess is if Bryson and his team don't see these training sessions paying off with results on the course then they will alter what they do. Last year after the restart he had a spectacular run, so continuing on that same path makes sense. If the wins don't come I would guess less time on speed training and more time on areas where the stats reflect he is lacking. I doubt he goes away from chasing speed completely but I have been wrong a time or two.
I get the allure of distance, but he hits it plenty far, and ultimately the game is about scoring.

I get the allure of distance, but he hits it plenty far, and ultimately the game is about scoring.

And he won his first major after picking up a lot of speed... so far I would have to say that is validation that it is working for him. I don't care one way or the other what he is doing, just saying if I was in his shoes, makes sense to follow this path a bit longer.

And he won his first major after picking up a lot of speed... so far I would have to say that is validation that it is working for him. I don't care one way or the other what he is doing, just saying if I was in his shoes, makes sense to follow this path a bit longer.
I didn't say he shouldn't, but ultimately the game is about scoring, so he should keep that in mind as well.

Back