Bryson talking 48” driver shaft at the US Open

I think it is great that he’s so outside the box. If he can control the 48” shaft he will have a legitimate advantage over the field.

As much as I hope so on a personal level, hahaha, the reality is the dude WILL win majors, and probably several of them, it’s going to happen, I just don’t think this is the rough he’s going to do it in. But, on a track where hitting 50% of fairways will be a GOOD day for players, who knows!

If he gets his wedges somewhate consistent. I can see him becoming a Masters Monster. That course is more accepting to mashing off the tee. I think US opens and Open Championships will be his bugaboo... @HipCheck ;)

If he gets his wedges somewhate consistent. I can see him becoming a Masters Monster. That course is more accepting to mashing off the tee. I think US opens and Open Championships will be his bugaboo... @HipCheck ;)

LOL. You can say he has a "Major" Bugaboo.

giphy.gif

I think it is great that he’s so outside the box. If he can control the 48” shaft he will have a legitimate advantage over the field.

I saw somewhere that his ultimate goal is to drive it 400 yards so he could attempt to drive every par 4. LOL. Kind of rooting for that to happen but probably won’t.

I can't read the whole thread, but I'm guessing there are two responses:

I hate Bryson almost as much as the media hates Orange Man.

Bryson is the bomb.

I fall into the latter category.

I don't care that he is pushing the limits since there actually is a limit at 48 inches. Life is full of folks who mess with the norm. Some are thought to be crazy until they do it. I am not a fan of this kid in the least. He sees things differently and that always rubs some the wrong way. I doubt he cares what we think in the least.

I’d be more intrigued if he was using a 48 inch tee... I’m not sure how his brand will fare when fans are allowed back. Really hope it happens in time for Waste Management!

I prefer players who gain advantages with their game rather than being crafty with the tools, but he is good for a laugh now and then.

"I'm playing a 48 inch driver for the U.S. Open."

<<Translation>>

"I don't much like my chances with all this rough on a tough course, and will probably miss the cut anyway. Any press is good press."

This thread is something.

I love it. I hope he hits it a mile every time.

Yeah, he's handled the new attention poorly, but that's exciting too! What's he going to do next? Dude straight delivers.

Bryson is a genius. Maybe not in physics like he's hyped up to be, but hes finally become the must-watch, not-Tiger, non-cookie cutter vanilla PGA tour player that we all needed. The market desperately needed a character like that, and he's filling the role perfectly. Make fun of him all you want, that's fine. He does a lot of really dumb things. I'm just glad he's doing it differently, and I'm really glad that he's finding success with it.

The golf world and USGA would literally explode in anger if it worked...therefore it’s worth it

But I believe the tweet says 48” after US Open
Oh yeah, just noticed that too. In any event, my GIF still stands!

I find it interesting that while so many people recoil at the thought of OL for themselves, saying that they could never adjust to it, tons say that Bryson should switch to VL and he'd be better. He's been playing OL for 10 years now, that's what he does.

Lots of misunderstanding of OL, which includes almost all broadcasters, and that's part of the problem.

Do the broadcasters all educate themselves on OL clubs for one player? Not worth it.
They should, however, with as much as they fawn over him every two seconds.
I don't dislike Bryson. I hate the media hype. He ain't THAT long. Get over it.

I give him kudos. The guy isn’t afraid to step out in front snd try new things:
One Length
Bulk up and hit bombs
Longer shafts

It may or may not not work but he is looking at every option to gain a competitive advantage.

Yes... He’s pushing the envelope. I fail to understand why some folks are bent out of shape about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's crazy to watch how the PGA likes to talk about how far Bryson is hitting it, but he isn't even the longest on tour. It will be interesting to see the experiment, but he should experiment on his approach and around the green a whole lot more. He hits it plenty far, but his irons and short game have not been lacking.

He was last year by .1 of a yard over Cameron Champ 322.1 vs 322.0. Next up was 7 yards shorter. I think part of the interest is the length he added. I also agree that how Bryson putted was at least as important to his wins as how far he hit the ball.

He was last year by .1 of a yard over Cameron Champ 322.1 vs 322.0. Next up was 7 yards shorter. I think part of the interest is the length he added. I also agree that how Bryson putted was at least as important to his wins as how far he hit the ball.
How does the tour measure driving yards for players? Are they still only using a few holes a round for it?

How does the tour measure driving yards for players? Are they still only using a few holes a round for it?

I believe that is the case. Which is sometimes a hole they do not even hit driver on....

One thing to keep in mind with the modern tour player, social media, etc....

If they are out of contention for the weekend, suddenly they can swing for the fences and bump up driving stats for manufacturers and get them some attention. Bryson is poster child of the year for golf equipment manufacturers and Cobra in particular. He's milking this for all its worth, and this "announcement" is case in point. Good for him. Its just good business. But the announcer narrative is creating the backlash, I believe. They can't leave it alone.

I believe that is the case. Which is sometimes a hole they do not even hit driver on....
And of course if they don't hit the fairway there is no run out, costing them many yards. All I know is when I watched him play in the 9 hole BMW charity round he was hitting 370 yard bombs on some of those holes.

And of course if they don't hit the fairway there is no run out, costing them many yards. All I know is when I watched him play in the 9 hole BMW charity round he was hitting 370 yard bombs on some of those holes.

Very true.

Do the broadcasters all educate themselves on OL clubs for one player? Not worth it.
They should, however, with as much as they fawn over him every two seconds.
I don't dislike Bryson. I hate the media hype. He ain't THAT long. Get over it.
If they know they’re going to be talking about it, then they absolutely should. That’s literally their job. Broadcasters for every sport do research on stories, players, etc for games or tournaments. They don’t get a pass because he’s the only tour guy doing it.

He was the dominant topic for 5 weeks following the restart, yet nobody spent an hour to educate themselves on it during that timespan? That’s genuinely embarrassing for the media.

Back