Bryson talking 48” driver shaft at the US Open

Interesting to see how much longer the droves become. How does he hot it soooo high?
+8° AoA. And a metric a**load of clubhead speed.

Brooke Henderson uses a 48” driver and no one bats an eye. Bryson considers the idea of a 48” driver and everyone loses their marbles. :rolleyes:

She also grips way up. All of her clubs are like that.

That said, I think a surprising number of lpga golfers play a longer than 45" driver looking for that extra distance. For the men, it's usually the they hit it far enough and are looking for control so play an under 45" driver.

Bryson here is saying don't care gonna hit bombs but still with a modicum of accuracy. I think for Bryson this weekend was he may of missed some fairways but he always had an angle to the green. He was in relative control and the advantages that he sees with an extra 20 yards off the tee if he can keep a similar level of control means he can score well.

Also, Bryson has done a lot of crazy things before with his driver. When he first turned pro and played the F6+ he removed the weight in the head and played with a swingweight of B5 or something absurd like that. His thought process is he could swing it faster and get more ballspeed than a slower swing with more club head mass would impart.

Here's the video. The madness has just begun.
View attachment 8964568
When I saw that I took two things away.
Yagley is going to have some fun working on that.
Complimentary of other players rather than “look at me” like too many do. He’s right about Wolff too

Happy Gilmore is here, I love it. Hit it hard, harder, hardest. Took the hinge out of putting, What is next? One shaft. 8 club heads, just change as needed, easier to carry for the caddie.

Years ago there was an iron with adjustable loft... so you only had to carry one club. Don’t think it was ever legal, but it existed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only thing I’ve learned in this thread is that I need a 48in driver for scrambles. That is freakin brilliant

I might could have a couple of them, lol. Do you want the 2.5* XX 90gr or the 3* XXX 110g?

One word of advice, I gained speed for sure but for me it’s such a different swing it’s going to take a few swings with a normal driver otherwise you are sending it to all areas of the course.

That and you have to fully commit to hitting it. Mentally and physically.

I might could have a couple of them, lol. Do you want the 2.5* XX 90gr or the 3* XXX 110g?

One word of advice, I gained speed for sure but for me it’s such a different swing it’s going to take a few swings with a normal driver otherwise you are sending it to all areas of the course.

That and you have to fully commit to hitting it. Mentally and physically.

Haha I just need a callaway tipped one. Not an issue till sometime next year!

When I saw that I took two things away.
Yagley is going to have some fun working on that.
Complimentary of other players rather than “look at me” like too many do. He’s right about Wolff too

True, but he's not afraid to compliment himself as well. Reminds me of years ago in the broadcast booth, they asked "How were the top quarterbacks of all time" and he named a few, and then said "I think I was." He was serious.

I find this interesting as back in the early 90's i had a local club builder make mea driver that was 48 inches...okay it was a persimmon head and let me say, it was fun as crap to hit when i hot in the center of the club face. but those heads were small.
It was an x flex and it would drop bombs....1 out of 3, cause that was the consistency of hitting the center. But it in triages me at 63 to play catch up to some of the younger guys...should i give it a try with my Knuth head? or am i just asking for a rib injury

True, but he's not afraid to compliment himself as well. Reminds me of years ago in the broadcast booth, they asked "How were the top quarterbacks of all time" and he named a few, and then said "I think I was." He was serious.

Tell me a professional athlete that isn't, and I will be on board.
Anybody else on tour giving that press conference, talking about the equipment and complimenting other players and all of the sudden he is the greatest. Bryson, and it's something else.

Reminds me of how the media covers politics.

Only thing I’ve learned in this thread is that I need a 48in driver for scrambles. That is freakin brilliant
I really hate that I read this at the exact moment I'm staring at all my uncut shafts.

So I guess I'll just do it now. Thanks. 😢:LOL:

I have a pretty solid recipe for crow if anyone is in need.

I really hate that I read this at the exact moment I'm staring at all my uncut shafts.

So I guess I'll just do it now. Thanks. 😢:LOL:

I look forward to the photo of all the uncut shafts and the inevitable question of, "which one should I make the scramble shaft?" and then you let us pick. That also lets me see what you have so I can figure out what I'm DM'ing you about haha

I look forward to the photo of all the uncut shafts and the inevitable question of, "which one should I make the scramble shaft?" and then you let us pick. That also lets me see what you have so I can figure out what I'm DM'ing you about haha
haha I might have to do that. I can't even decide what weight I'd want to try. I have a 65g 6.5 T1100 that's kind of talking to me right now, but I just don't know.

bring it on!!

haha I might have to do that. I can't even decide what weight I'd want to try. I have a 65g 6.5 T1100 that's kind of talking to me right now, but I just don't know.

I would think lighter, considering the overall weight of the club is going to be heavier since it's going to be a few inches longer?

Anybody else on tour giving that press conference, talking about the equipment and complimenting other players and all of the sudden he is the greatest. Bryson, and it's something else.

Because some people don't like Bryson. :cry:

"Why doesn't everyone like Bryson?" is your argument (I think). And you're saying it's the way the media covers him? Some people are just more likable.

Or is this the Jackie Moon argument?

giphy.gif

Because some people don't like Bryson. :cry: "Why doesn't everyone like Bryson?" you're argument (I think). And you're saying it's the way the media covers him?

That is definitely not my argument.
I just find it funny that the same reasons people blast Bryson, are the same reasons their defensive mechanisms are on high alert when fill in the blank favorite player does it.

I don't give a **** who people like, I just happen to believe Bryson is VERY good for the game of golf and its something I have a passion for and want to see grow. 12 years of doing this though, and the emergence of social media anger, has shown me that being different, mixed with winning is not a recipe for success to white knucklers :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I just find it funny that the same reasons people blast Bryson, are the same reasons their defensive mechanisms are on high alert when fill in the blank favorite player does it.

I don't give a **** who people like, I just happen to believe Bryson is VERY good for the game of golf and its something I have a passion for and want to see grow. 12 years of doing this though, and the emergence of social media anger, has shown me that being different, mixed with winning is not a recipe for success to white knucklers :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think someone who thinks of everything differently than everyone else (governors, Foresight on putts :oops:, etc) is always going to be divisive.

JT could win 5 majors and not move the needle like Bryson. He causes a strong reaction, both positive and negative. That's awesome IMO. It's content gold.

It's interesting to see if he'll grow the game though. If it leads to bifurcation, oh baby. Buckle up. Time to play the game.

Last edited:

I will agree with you that Bryson is GREAT for the game of golf. His work ethic to get to the top his job field (yes golf is his job) is great. He takes a science based approach to EVERYTHING he does. I think that's what annoys me so much. Do you really need to know the barometric pressure and humidity for every shot? Plus the longer the season is going to go, his abs are going to turn into a gut. Even with this "short" season you can see it starting to show.

Just my two cents. Carry on Bryson, do your thing.

Wolff was blowing it by Bryson all day Sunday and fell backwards

Have you noticed it is a lot of the same folks that preach "we want more non-cookie cutter PGA tour class-acts" that also hate Bryson, Reed, Poulter, et. al? I have definitely noticed this.

However you look at those guys, just remember no one would watch the Avengers movies if there weren't bad guys in them.

Back