I think this is a case of a guys reputation coming into play when a relatively innocuous comment is made. I didn’t hear him say ‘Cobra’s driver sucks’ … I took his comments to mean he is not hitting his driver well. His comments were all about how he’s hitting the driver, I didn’t hear anything specific to the club quality at all. Maybe I missed other comments but seemed to be self-directed.

I think this is a case of a guys reputation coming into play when a relatively innocuous comment is made. I didn’t hear him say ‘Cobra’s driver sucks’ … I took his comments to mean he is not hitting his driver well. His comments were all about how he’s hitting the driver, I didn’t hear anything specific to the club quality at all. Maybe I missed other comments but seemed to be self-directed.
Be directly trashed the club face.

When you say, and I quote, “ My driver sucks. It’s not a good face for me,” it’s pretty clear he’s talking about the equipment. He pretty much gave his sponsor that has spent a metric butt ton of money on R&D for just for him and his driver a giant middle finger.

No way in hell would that happen. They can’t afford to do that, like him or loathe him, he brings a **** ton of attention to the brand, and they have NO ONE else who can do that.

Yep.. it’s the 80-20 rule. You make 80% of your rev off 20% of your customers and that 20% causes 80% of your problems. They can’t cut him.

Nah, he took a direct shot at the equipment, nothing innocuous about that at all.

Nah, he took a direct shot at the equipment, nothing innocuous about that at all.
+10 for innocuous!

Does Cobra need Bryson specifically as their most prolific Tour pro or specifically because of one length?

Does Cobra need Bryson specifically as their most prolific Tour pro or specifically because of one length?
I'd say both, but more the latter than the former. There are other Tour pros with which they could replace Bryson, but he's the only one using OL, no?

Any good plan has an exit strategy or plan B. You only go that route when it’s clear plan A (sticking with Bryson) isn’t a profitable option.

How funny (this is crazy talk) if they sign Brooks and part ways with Bryson on the same day. For how much attention those 2 are creating with the feud, this would just add to it.

Any good plan has an exit strategy or plan B. You only go that route when it’s clear plan A (sticking with Bryson) isn’t a profitable option.

How funny (this is crazy talk) if they sign Brooks and part ways with Bryson on the same day. For how much attention those 2 are creating with the feud, this would just add to it.
I assume Brooks will begin his one length journey behind the scenes starting this week.

When you say, and I quote, “ My driver sucks. It’s not a good face for me,” it’s pretty clear he’s talking about the equipment. He pretty much gave his sponsor that has spent a metric butt ton of money on R&D for just for him and his driver a giant middle finger.

I get that take - it just didn’t come across that way to me.

It sure did to me, and I’m not a Bryson hater looking for a bone to pick. He said his driver sucked, criticized the face, said he didn’t like the spin profile, and said that it wasn’t just this week, he’s been having problems with it for the last couple years. If that’s not a direct headshot I don’t know what is.

I thought the same based on a small sample of what he said. When you read or listen to the interview in total. It’s very obvious he did a drive by shooting at cobra.

It sure did to me, and I’m not a Bryson hater looking for a bone to pick. He said his driver sucked, criticized the face, said he didn’t like the spin profile, and said that it wasn’t just this week, he’s been having problems with it for the last couple years. If that’s not a direct headshot I don’t know what is.

Sounds like there was more to it than the comments I read. And for the record, I’m not a fan of his.

If the TM marketing department wants to go there, they come up with something along these lines at a meeting tomorrow:

“Taylor Made SIM Drivers. Our players love our drivers and win multiple majors with them because our drivers are made with love. It’s hard to criticize with results like this.”

I thought the same based on a small sample of what he said. When you read or listen to the interview in total. It’s very obvious he did a drive by shooting at cobra.
Yup. He was targeting them, 100%.

Sounds like there was more to it than the comments I read. And for the record, I’m not a fan of his.
Two quotes from him:

“That’s what I said a couple days ago — if I can hit it down the middle of the fairway, that’s great, but with the driver right now, the driver sucks,” DeChambeau said. “It’s not a good (club) face for me and we’re still trying to figure out how to make it good on the mis-hits. I’m living on the razor’s edge like I’ve told people for a long time.”

Asked what the issue is with the driver, DeChambeau said, “It’s literally the physics and the way that they build heads now. It’s not the right design, unfortunately, and we’ve been trying to fix it (with no) results yet.”

I mean, he didn’t leave himself much wiggle room for interpretation there. It’s hard to give him the benefit of the doubt, he wasn’t even subtle about it - that was a direct shot. Sure, it came out of frustration after a bad round, but he 1) needs to learn to take responsibility for himself, and 2) needs to learn to filter himself - even if it’s true, you don’t always want to say the silent part out loud. There have been plenty of guys who have struggled with their equipment, but you keep that in house between you and your OEM. You don’t publicly trash the people who are paying you millions and putting equipment in your bag.

Two quotes from him:

“That’s what I said a couple days ago — if I can hit it down the middle of the fairway, that’s great, but with the driver right now, the driver sucks,” DeChambeau said. “It’s not a good (club) face for me and we’re still trying to figure out how to make it good on the mis-hits. I’m living on the razor’s edge like I’ve told people for a long time.”
I see no problem with that one, but...

Asked what the issue is with the driver, DeChambeau said, “It’s literally the physics and the way that they build heads now. It’s not the right design, unfortunately, and we’ve been trying to fix it (with no) results yet.”
That comes across as a shot at Cobra and their R&D team.

And I am a big Bryson fan. (Or was?)

Back