Bubba Watson - Can He Carry the Torch?

I don't know about that. -12 was the winning score at The Heritage. -14 won the Masters. A course doesn't have to be long to be challenging.

Are you saying Augusta National is short?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two words for you, Lee Trevino. Crazy swing, free spirit, lots of demons and one if the best to play the tour.

Lee also didn't join the tour until he was 27, after a 4 year stint in the Marines and several years as a club pro and golf hustler. He still won the US Open at age 28, 4-5 years younger than Watson is now, and led the Tour money list at 30, was 17-7-6 in six Ryder Cup apearances (3 of which came by the time he was Bubba's age). Any way you look at it, that puts him way ahead of Bubba. I just think that Watson waited too long to wake up. I could certainly be wrong, but that's just my opinion after 30+ years of watching PGA Tour golf. I've seen too many Bubba's come and go.

Daily hit the ball longer and more in control than bubba in his day. Like i said Bubba is a draw player. Like Daily,Fowler,Boo Weekly to name a few. There in the magazines, TV etc. These guys get payed just to show up because people like to see them. When Lee Westwood won in Asia and became No 1. He got payed just to show up and play. Who was in the field with him that was a household name??? It was a easy win for him and a easy way to jump Kymer "sp". Who was Bubba in contention with agian ? ? ? Exsactly not a face or name you see on TV or golf digest. And to be honest these are just filler tournaments that most of the better PGA pros don't bother with.

This all came to light when i went to the Barclays last year. My first tourny. Everyone flocked to follow them to watch them play. Even if they couldn't hold a candle to the better players on the field no one wanted to watch.

If you look at all the multiple major winners(3 or more),they are super focused,talented and hard workers.Bubba has more talent than most and is becoming more focused on golfing his ball.He`s probably never going to be the hardest worker,ala Gary Player,but I still believe he's going to win majors.I like the fact that he does his own thing and he`s exciting to watch.There`s too much over analysis on the PGA tour.

If I'm reading this right I have offended you, for that I am sorry it was not my intention. I respect all
That you wrote and it's good food for
Thought. I was trying to offer my point of view not to win but just to share. Again if I spoke out of turn please accept my humble apology.

No you are fine it is my fault for getting too worked up over it. No apology needed. I have a tendency to over-do everything.

Are you saying Augusta National is short?

He was saying that Augusta is long, and that Harbor Town is short... yet the Harbor Town played tougher (by stroke score) than Augusta.
Length does not always equal difficulty. You could build a 8000 yard course that pro's would play under par. You could build a 6200 yard course that pro's struggle to get into red figures.

The real issue with longer hitting and crazy distance out of the balls today is that today as always most of the strokes on your card or the pros cards are taken inside 100 yards. What Bubba has done recently is so interesting to me not only because he is winning but because of how he is doing it. He could always hit the ball forever, but now he is scoring better because he is making a lot of putts and hitting some phenomenal approach and short game shots and doing it when it counts. If he stays healthy I think he can win a lot of tournaments over the next few years now that he has learned how to win.

He was saying that Augusta is long, and that Harbor Town is short... yet the Harbor Town played tougher (by stroke score) than Augusta.
Length does not always equal difficulty. You could build a 8000 yard course that pro's would play under par. You could build a 6200 yard course that pro's struggle to get into red figures.
Bingo. Thanks Gus. :)

I think Bubba is great and will really help Golf post Tiger (or at least until he wins next). Bubba brings back the drunk people yelling in the crowd and brings some excitement back into watching the game. If he keeps hitting those crazy shots and posting videos on twitter it might help improve his short game. He has been spectacular lately.

In terms of being outspoken, Bubba's got that going for him. Check out what he said about Tiger today (http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=6479129)

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Tiger Woods is not at the Wells Fargo Championship. But that hardly keeps his name from coming up in conversation.

In part of a larger discussion about swing coaches, Bubba Watson -- a frequent practice round partner of Woods' -- said without prompting that he believes "Tiger is going the wrong way.''

Watson has never employed a swing coach. The conversation centered on the fact that Woods' teacher, Sean Foley, parted ways with Sean O'Hair this week.

"I'll just go ahead and say it. I think Tiger is going the wrong way,'' said Watson, who won the Zurich Classic of New Orleans on Sunday, his third PGA Tour title in 10 months. "I just think he's so mental right now with his swing.

"Just go out there and play golf. He used to hit shots, he used to bomb it, used to do all that stuff. In 2000 and '97, I think he did pretty good. He won the Masters by 48 shots or whatever he won it by. I think sometimes he gets carried away on that. And a lot of guys do.''

Woods is sitting out this week's event on the PGA Tour due to a knee injury. His status for next week's Players Championship is still undetermined.

Woods began working with Foley last August while in the midst of his first winless season as a pro. Woods has not won on the PGA Tour since September 2009.

Watson, who is playing in his week's Wells Fargo tournament and has risen to No. 10 in the world, is unlike many of his top-ranked peers. He does not travel with an entourage. Aside from a caddie and a trainer, Watson does it alone.

"I want to be the boss,'' Watson said. "My dad taught me to be a leader or a follower, and he said follower ain't fun. So I want to be the leader of Bubba Watson. What I say goes ... I'm hitting shots I want to hit. I'm doing the things that I want to do. I play it my way.''

Watson, 32, has long claimed he's never taken a lesson -- that if he were to have to go that route, he'd quit. And nobody is quite sure if he's kidding.

"It's just not my way,'' Watson said in reference to golf teachers and the O'Hair-Foley split. "I'm good friends with Sean Foley, I'm good friends with Hank Haney, with Butch [Harmon]. I know them as people, I know them as friends, but I don't ask them for advice.

"It's just not the way I go about it. All of us are good at golf. Sometimes I think some of the great players, they get too wrapped up in the mental part ... when you start talking about other people trying to help you with your swing, look at this, look at that, I think they take a step back. So I'm hoping they all get coaches.''

Bubba is right up to a point, everyone needs a lesson once in a while but over-thinking the swing will mess up anyone. Even Tiger.

Back