I don't actually agree. Easier fix is not really act that way, although like I said, I did not have any issue with what he said to the fan, who was trying to be "cute". But it kind of goes back to the old line of thinking that says quit telling people you are working on something, and then doing the same things over and over again. Tiger was similar. He came out and said I know its wrong and I am working on it, but nothing ever changed.

Instead, own it. If there is nothing wrong with it, own it, quit apologizing for it and saying you want to be better.

I'm not talking about that at all, critiquing what he did is fine, he certainly leaves plenty of opportunities. I'm talking about things like "nice shot douche". It just get old to me reading it in the threads.

I'm not talking about that at all, critiquing what he did is fine, he certainly leaves plenty of opportunities. I'm talking about things like "nice shot douche". It just get old to me reading it in the threads.

I don't see a lot of that. Its there from time to time. Kind of reminds me of every other sport. See Tom Brady in the NFL thread. Guess like most things in sports, it comes down to a fans threshold for what they are willing to tolerate to support someone. Some need character, some only athleticism, heck some don't care about any of it, as long as geography is involved.

The thing about Bubba is that nothing is ever his fault. To me his actions make him appear to be very immature. Now he might be completely different in person, but I've never met him in person and only go by his actions/interviews on TV.

Tiger's outbursts are usually directed at himself, where as Bubba's seem to be mostly directed towards others, and I think that's where I see the biggest difference between the two. Not defending either of them, just stating the biggest difference I see.

In the end though, not too many people in this world know what it's like to live and play golf under the scrutiny that they do. It's easy to reflect on every comment these players make, but a lot of the comments and actions happen as part of a reaction to something that just happened. I'm sure there are many of us who have responded in a way we wish we would not have to something that just happened, whether it's good or bad.

Nobody is forced to live in the public spotlight as a professional athlete. And every athlete knows the good and the bad that comes with it in today's society.

Yeah, Bubba's net worth is about 30ish million? Hang on while I try to sympathize with his "plight" while on a golf course. There's a right way and a wrong way to be a 'professional' and he finds himself on the wrong side of that spectrum all too often not to receive countless notes of dislike from any golf community.

So I've actually been a fan of Bubba in the past and always attributed his behavior to his anxiety, mental issues, or whatever challenges he has. However, the more I see it and think about it the more I'm disliking him. I can completely understand having anxiety/mental issues. My wife is a mental health counselor and I'm always reminded to not judge and try to be understanding. But Bubba is a public figure and someone that kids watch and learn from. He needs to learn how to handle himself better. It seems like it's year after year that he acknowledges his issues but nothing changes. Excuses only work so long, at some point you have to own it and do your best to fix it.

Im a proclaimed Bubba fan, but everyone is entitled to their opinions on other people. There are people I dont really care for (in golf I dont like Day) and others gush over him. In the end I believe we all answer for our actions. I have two job titles, a youth pastor, so I see past the outbursts and see the talent and hope that he overcomes. As a Basketball coach I see someone with a ton of talent that should do a better job portraying himself. But in the end, I like him because he can hit some incredible shots. I grew up watching my sports heros fall out of grace (see Tiger and Kirby Puckett) so I guess that helps me not care what Bubba does outside of hitting a golf ball. But I completely understand why some people don't like Bubba and since I'm not him, his family, a close friend, or part of his group, I chose not to spend time dwelling on what he's called or not called. Would I chose to ride in a car with him or a bear - to me thats a no brainer. And would I rather golf with him or Jason Day - thats actually a tough one because as much as I like Bubba, i think playing a round with Day might help me not dislike him.
/rant

It kind of shows where our sports world has gone. Nobody can be critical, unless someone murders, rapes, beats, etc. Yes there are always worse, but who knew the likability factor only relied on lack of arrests in todays day and age. Boy do we set the bar low as sports fans.

Didn't mean it like that at all. Just saying the level of hate for him seems to be more than many that deserve the higher level of hate. That is all

Perhaps it is an age thing. Perhaps it is having seen so many of my childhood sports heroes turn out to be mere mortals or worse (Denny McClain anyone?). Also, this message board is pretty much the extent of my involvement in social media so I don't care what athletes post on Twitter or anywhere else.

I like Jordan Spieth, but he is painfully slow. I like Jason Day, but he's rather deliberate also. I know DJ has had his issues, but he's fun to watch and seems to play "ready golf", so I like that (he probably needs a caddie who can read greens for him however).

Bubba, I like to watch him play shots, it's rather remarkable, but I completely lose patience with him when he starts bickering about the latest misread or wind gust. I hope one or two others don't go much further down this path.

Ted Scott: My wish is that people wouldn't just be quick to judge over that moment in Hartford and I'll say this on TV, about-- I'd say probably 80 percent of the guys bash their caddies verbally on the tour.

Sharyn Alfonsi: Eighty percent?

Ted Scott: Guys that would be labeled the nicest guy on tour bashing his caddy. Why is that? Because it's pressure. You can't take it personally. If you're thin-skinned, you don't need to caddy, 'cause trust me, you're gonna get it. You know, it's just part of the job.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome :alien:

But all joking aside, that's a good interview. And while I do agree w/ Dan that I think some of his issues are being used as a crutch now and then, I do think some of his wanting to change is genuine. He's someone who lives at the rails, it seems - and I think that shows in his game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome :alien:

But all joking aside, that's a good interview. And while I do agree w/ Dan that I think some of his issues are being used as a crutch now and then, I do think some of his wanting to change is genuine. He's someone who lives at the rails, it seems - and I think that shows in his game.

Honest question. Since this is about 4 years in a row of "wanting to change" when does it become less about wanting to change and more using it as an excuse? We have heard the same thing from many an athlete over the last few decades and one thing remains constant. The vast majority never change.

Honest question. Since this is about 4 years in a row of "wanting to change" when does it become less about wanting to change and more using it as an excuse? We have heard the same thing from many an athlete over the last few decades and one thing remains constant. The vast majority never change.

I think with Bubba, it's partly some things that are actual issues, and partly him being a jerk. Those aren't mutually exclusive. In my line of work, you run into lot of people who are socially awkward, and some of them will come off wrong at times and have it become an issue in the office. The big difference, and this isn't what I see with Bubba, is that the folks who are truly working on it might still say something that comes off terribly, but recognize it shortly after, if not immediately and address it.

Bubba just throws everything under the umbrella of "trying to be better". So I'd say he's crossed that line.

My wife is a mental health counselor and I'm always reminded to not judge and try to be understanding. He needs to learn how to handle himself better.

depending the extent of his challenges that may not be possible. tools can be given to help a person cope with their issues, but simply learning to do better, or just changing can be an expectation that may never be met. it's why i have a soft spot for him and make excuses for him that may not be justified or deserved.

I have a question to caleric and wake (not singling anybody out, just know you two). What are your thoughts on Johnny Manziel? What about Terrell Owens? Allen Iverson?

Nobody is forced to live in the public spotlight as a professional athlete. And every athlete knows the good and the bad that comes with it in today's society.

You are right, but it doesn't make it any easier just because they choose to become a professional athlete. I don't care whether you chose to become famous or a professional athlete, having your life being judged by people who have never met you would get old quick. I'm not saying feel sorry for him, simply saying that none of us have any clue as to what that life is really like. It's easy to judge and say we'd be different, but nobody ever truly knows how they would react to certain situations.

I've just never understood this stance that since they chose to become a professional athlete, that it automatically means they are suppose to handle everything perfectly. That's an awfully high standard to hold anybody to.

You are right, but it doesn't make it any easier just because they choose to become a professional athlete. I don't care whether you chose to become famous or a professional athlete, having your life being judged by people who have never met you would get old quick. I'm not saying feel sorry for him, simply saying that none of us have any clue as to what that life is really like. It's easy to judge and say we'd be different, but nobody ever truly knows how they would react to certain situations.

I've just never understood this stance that since they chose to become a professional athlete, that it automatically means they are suppose to handle everything perfectly. That's an awfully high standard to hold anybody to.

I don't recall EVER seeing anybody say that. However where does it also mean a person is above scrutiny for your actions? Every action has a reaction. Thats life. If people don't like to have anybody be critical of those actions, the easier path is not be in the public light. Not sure why that is harder to understand, as it seems like pretty common sense.

Not only love and admiration opinions are welcome for any public figure. Not sure why they are above scrutiny.

Everybody in this world is judged for their actions on a daily basis, it just depends on how wide the spectrum is. I am judged by the people I interact with daily at my job.. and if I throw a tantrum or make the wrong move, it'll probably cost me my job. Similarly, I am judged on THP by my opinions and the more visible my name is, the more I am judged (either personally, privately, or publicly). It's the nature of the beast.

This isn't about any single action.. Show me a great athlete and I am sure someone can show me where they have faltered (see:Rory's club tosses)... It's about consistency, and Bubba is consistently on the wrong end of the conversation about being a 'PROFESSIONAL' golfer.

I don't recall EVER seeing anybody say that. However where does it also mean a person is above scrutiny for your actions? Every action has a reaction. Thats life. If people don't like to have anybody be critical of those actions, the easier path is not be in the public light. Not sure why that is harder to understand, as it seems like pretty common sense.

Not only love and admiration opinions are welcome for any public figure. Not sure why they are above scrutiny.

Never said a person is above scrutiny, simply pointed out that there is a good chance nobody on these boards has to deal with that type of scrutiny. Doesn't mean I condone what he's done or give him a pass. It was more or less just pointing out that I'm sure there is something all of us have done at one point or another that if it were televised would make us look like jerks.

Never said a person is above scrutiny, simply pointed out that there is a good chance nobody on these boards has to deal with that type of scrutiny. Doesn't mean I condone what he's done or give him a pass. It was more or less just pointing out that I'm sure there is something all of us have done at one point or another that if it were televised would make us look like jerks.

And I would expect to be judged for it (there is some irony here) Canadan said it perfectly above in regards to repeated acts.

I have a question to caleric and wake (not singling anybody out, just know you two). What are your thoughts on Johnny Manziel? What about Terrell Owens? Allen Iverson?

Quoting and bumping this since it was lost.

66cf1c99a7fc59507894bc77f7c24bea.jpg

That is all

I think Bubba is trying to improve and what we see now is the improved Bubba. It's just really slow progress. Changing behavior is extremely hard. I think he is hardwired in his head and lacks self awareness and context for other people. I suspect his behavior is a trait and not just a state. Bubba is always going to be Bubba. He also doesn't appear to be very intellectual (trying to say this as politely as possible). I will also say that his religious beliefs, some that he has publicly expressed, are fundamentally in opposition to my beliefs and the lives of many friends and family members. This last part is particularly problematic for me. For these and other reasons, I do have a hard time with Bubba the person. If I had to spend time with him, I would probably chase him out of state with a shotgun. But I try to be compassionate and not jump on the anti bandwagon. My experience is that hating someone else only hurts me. He is just another person trying to recover from life.

On the golf course, he is one of the most creative and interesting golfers ever to play. He sees and plays golf in a hyper-dimensional way. Sometimes it turns out terrible. Sometimes brilliant. This I respect. And in this context, we are talking about golf.

I think Bubba is trying to improve and what we see now is the improved Bubba. It's just really slow progress. Changing behavior is extremely hard. I think he is hardwired in his head and lacks self awareness and context for other people. I suspect his behavior is a trait and not just a state. Bubba is always going to be Bubba. He also doesn't appear to be very intellectual (trying to say this as politely as possible). I will also say that his religious beliefs, some that he has publicly expressed, are fundamentally in opposition to my beliefs and the lives of many friends and family members. This last part is particularly problematic for me. For these and other reasons, I do have a hard time with Bubba the person. If I had to spend time with him, I would probably chase him out of state with a shotgun. But I try to be compassionate and not jump on the anti bandwagon. My experience is that hating someone else only hurts me. He is just another person trying to recover from life.

On the golf course, he is one of the most creative and interesting golfers ever to play. He sees and plays golf in a hyper-dimensional way. Sometimes it turns out terrible. Sometimes brilliant. This I respect. And in this context, we are talking about golf.
His justification for his behavior seems too convenient to me! As I stated earlier, he's a smuck!

Back