Bucket List- Courses

November I ended up in there. Best 2 shots of my round when I got up and down. Probably best Bunker shot I ever hit.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

That's awesome, that you will never forget.

November I ended up in there. Best 2 shots of my round when I got up and down. Probably best Bunker shot I ever hit.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

How did you end up getting to play Pine Valley??!!!

You don't hit it there. LOL. Actually, I'm pretty confident in my short bunker play ATM...:D

You can make it happen. Just start asking around. People you know, know people, who know people.

Oh for cryin out loud, it was Bandon that I was referring to, not Bend.
Thx Doc.
If I can find my way out, we ought to meet up.?
I'm not really a links favorite guy, but I still want to experience the courses there.
We have a few here in the Twin Cities and I shoot them well, just not my fav.

I thought you meant Bandon, but gave you info in both just in case. I actually love the golfing in Bend. Two of the courses there are in my too 5 over Bandon Trails. You've got to come down and experience it. It is something else.

How did you end up getting to play Pine Valley??!!!

You probably literally have to ask everyone you know and even those you don't. Wikipedia is down right now so I don't have exact numbers, but I'm fairly certain that their membership numbers are lower than those of other big, famous clubs. Also, their member list is one of the most guarded out there. They don't disclose it for anything.

There r a few on my list right now. Pebble beach, Brandon dunes, st Andrews, and a golf course that is on an island just off of my island that is owned by the McCaws(sp?) and it's not even private. It's just for him and his buddies and business partners and since he owns the whole island it's hard to get an invite. I've talked to people who have played there and words apparently can't describe it. I will play it this summer( I must.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude, you've got to make it happen. When you do call me! I will drop everything to be there.

I need to play Redstone tournament course soon. I can play free there.. Just looks a bit hard for me right now. Anyways, Augusta tops my list with Pine Valley behind it. Plenty of courses I would love to play though!

TPC Sawgrass
Augusta
Cog Hill
Whistiling Straits - Straits Course (this one may happen next summer - fingers crossed)
Kapalua - Plantation Course
Cypress Point
Torrey Pines

Oh for cryin out loud, it was Bandon that I was referring to, not Bend.
Thx Doc.
If I can find my way out, we ought to meet up.?
I'm not really a links favorite guy, but I still want to experience the courses there.
We have a few here in the Twin Cities and I shoot them well, just not my fav.

The Bend area may be a pretty good summer destination when Bandon rates are so high. I have only played one course over there in August but it was nice as well as affordable. I do plan on going back over that way at some point as well as return trips to Bandon. My daughter who lives in Roseburg tells me that February would probably be a good time for Bandon to get the good rates and a pretty good chance for decent weather.

As for flying in, the Eugene airport would be the best for golf as well as lots less hassle. I have flown in to both Eugene and Portland many times. When you land in Eugene make sure to stop by Fiddler's Green, it is a really good golf store with great prices NO sales tax. The store is only a few minutes from the airport.

The Bend area may be a pretty good summer destination when Bandon rates are so high. I have only played one course over there in August but it was nice as well as affordable. I do plan on going back over that way at some point as well as return trips to Bandon. My daughter who lives in Roseburg tells me that February would probably be a good time for Bandon to get the good rates and a pretty good chance for decent weather.

As for flying in, the Eugene airport would be the best for golf as well as lots less hassle. I have flown in to both Eugene and Portland many times. When you land in Eugene make sure to stop by Fiddler's Green, it is a really good golf store with great prices NO sales tax. The store is only a few minutes from the airport.

You are correct on every point.

Dude, you've got to make it happen. When you do call me! I will drop everything to be there.

I have a plan and if I find a way I will call u

I have a plan and if I find a way I will call u

SWEET! I will be sending good vibes your way.

You guys are nailing all the great courses....my #1 would be Augusta just like everyone else...then Pebble Beach, TPC Sawgrass, Bethpage Black, Kapula and etc...like I said you guys have got most of them....one place I want to play that I haven't seen mentioned is Harbor Town.

I'd have a hard time choosing between St. Andrews or Augusta if given a choice - both would just be amazing memories. Congressional, Chambers Bay, Bandon Dunes, Oakmont (which will certainly happen soon enough), Pebble, Sawgrass, Whistling Straits (the Straits Course would be darn near the top of my list), Torrey Pines...I feel like I could be here all day.

Priority #1 right now: play Oakmont.

I'd have a hard time choosing between St. Andrews or Augusta if given a choice - both would just be amazing memories. Congressional, Chambers Bay, Bandon Dunes, Oakmont (which will certainly happen soon enough), Pebble, Sawgrass, Whistling Straits (the Straits Course would be darn near the top of my list), Torrey Pines...I feel like I could be here all day.

Priority #1 right now: play Oakmont.

Great list! I live your #1 priority. I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Plantation course on Maui in Hawaii! Man it would be cool for the entire family to go over there for a couple of rounds. I got to get busy playing the lottery :D

Tough list... 1-5 are a given (in that order) - the others I could move around but certainly make my top 20! I am particularly found of links style golf courses (or long courses without trees)!

1. Augusta National
2. Pine Valley
3. The Old Course at St. Andrews
4. Pebble Beach
5. Royal County Down
6. Oakmont
7. Bethpage Black
8. Shinnecock
9. National Golf Links of America
10. Royal Melbourne
11. TPC Sawgrass
12. Winged Foot
13. Sand Hills
14. Bandon Dunes
15. Ballybunion
16. Ocean Course at Kiawah Island
17. Royal Dornoch
18. Kingsbairn
19. Carnoustie
20. Old Head

Pebble Beach
Oakmont
St. Andrews
Augusta National
Torrey Pines
Pine Valley
Baltustrol
TPC Sawgrass
Firestone CC South Course
Pinehurst #2
Bethpage Black
Cypress Point
Carnustie (sp? Was never good at spelling)
Sycamore hills

I am sure there is more, that's just off the top of my head. Hopefully I can play one or two before I kick the bucket (yes, pun intended ; ) )

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

Great lists! I forgot Sand Hills on mine! That one is right at the top! I told my wife that I needed to get my pilots license so I could play all of these courses and she just rolled her eyes. Haha

You guys are way more educated about the courses of the US and the world than I. All I know is there are many world famous courses witin a day's drive of me and anytime I travel outside of my area I try to play the best course available.

You guys are way more educated about the courses of the US and the world than I. All I know is there are many world famous courses witin a day's drive of me and anytime I travel outside of my area I try to play the best course available.
You are totally right about the abundance of amazing courses up here! I really had no idea the golf was so good up here before I moved here, but I have been so happy with the quality of golf here in Oregon and the NW.

Here are the top 5 in terms of areas I haven't played yet and could actually get the chance to play someday (which rules out the super private clubs):

1. Montarey Bay (Pebble etc.)
2. Scotland & Ireland
3. Pinehurst & The Sand Hills Region
4. Hilton Head
5. Palm Springs

Here are the top 5 in terms of areas I haven't played yet and could actually get the chance to play someday (which rules out the super private clubs):

1. Montarey Bay (Pebble etc.)
2. Scotland & Ireland
3. Pinehurst & The Sand Hills Region
4. Hilton Head
5. Palm Springs

That is a good way to organize it. It is interesting how a lot of the great courses are clumped together. Makes it nice for golf outings.

Of course everyone wants to play the Scottish Courses and the classic American Courses. I guess I would like to add some Canadian flavor to the bucket.

St Georges Etobicoke, Ontario
Highlands Links, Cape Breton National Park
Banff Springs, Banff National Park
Glenn Abbey
The National Golf Club of Canada

The first three were designed by Stanley Thompson, (1893-1953) a prolific Canadian with 176 courses to his credit in Canada, the US, South America and the Caribbean. He also founded the American Society of Golf Course Architects (ASGCA) with the likes of Donald Ross and Robert Trent Jones Sr.

Back