Bucket List- Courses

played banff and glen abbey.
Banff is kinda like the rockies on steriods. Unbelieveable views. Jaw dropping scenery.
I fell in love with Glen Abbey. Stood in the spot where Tiger hit that 6iron like 220 outta the sand and over the lake to the back of the green. Holy S***.!!!
And the fairways were smooth as my carpet. Greens not to fast but ran true. It was just a great experience. They give you a gift with the round. I got a very nice shoe bag that I use still.
Also played Lionshead.

Some guy on XM said Bandon was overrated. I wanted to slap him through the receiver. Which do you think is better, Old Macdonald or Bandon itself?

Whoever said that should be banished from speaking on all things golf for life. It is like saying Nicklaus and Woods are overrated hackers. Patently absurd.

One of the more entertaining aspects of playing Bandon was that a variation of this question was a continous topic of conversation with every new person you met. Seemed like the answers were always split pretty close to even between Bandon, Pacific and OM. And many people had different favorites from prior visits. Each of those courses really is that great.

Another variation is that you find people trying to find unique ways to compare the courses to each other in a way that doesn't discount the others: Course best suited to host a major (Pacific), most fun to play (OM), course you would choose if you could only play one course for the rest of your life (Bandon), etc.

This is probably blasphomy but at the time I thought Pacific was a little gimmicky, my least favorite of the three. But note that Pacific is routinely the highest rated of the three by the experts and pretty much the highest rated by the caddies. And in retrospect it had the most memorable holes of the three courses; I'm maybe looking most forward to playing Pacific most on my upcoming return trip.

I thought Old Mac was just amazingly fun. It is so different from anything else you see in the states...some people dislike it because of the differences and think it isn't fair. I say show up with an open mind and enjoy.

I absolutely LOVED Bandon. You play the first few holes inland, come to the next hole, tee off and come around a dog leg and wow. Just wow. #16 has to be one of the best holes ever. Some people say #18 is anti-climactic but other than that it is damn near perfect in my book.

Has anyone here played in Tennessee, Eastern and Western? Courses are beautiful, if anyone here has the chance while in the Knoxville area I recommend Heatherhurst, Dorchester. and Stonehenge, the last one will drive you crazy its hard!

Has anyone here played in Tennessee, Eastern and Western? Courses are beautiful, if anyone here has the chance while in the Knoxville area I recommend Heatherhurst, Dorchester. and Stonehenge, the last one will drive you crazy its hard!

I'm in Tn. There are some awesome courses here for sure. And some are "hidden"...one of which I just recently discovered by accident. By hidden I mean they don't have a website and aren't listed in media like the Tee Times Newspaper.

Personally, if i want a golf vacation, I see no reason to leave the state. There are plenty here.

Bucket List? Wow....way too many to mention.

Augusta for sure. And Bay Hill.

Jacks Point. I don't have a lot of course experience to compare it as a golf course (it certainly could hold its own against the line share of championship courses though) but as far as spectacular scenery goes I would say there are few in the world that are better.

I am going to limit my response to public courses out west since I am not familiar with a lot of the stuff on the east coast or overseas.

Coyote Moon
Old Greenwood
Gray's Crossing
Timlick Club
Running Y
Pebble Beach
Spyglass
Coeur D'alene
Chambers Bay
Thanksgiving Point
Wolf Creek
Chase at Coyote Springs
Rim Club
Black Mesa
Palouse Ridge
Jug Mountain
Whitetail Club
Old Works
Powder Horn
Fossil Trace
Lakota Canyon
Redlands Mesa
Pinon Hills
Harding Park

I'm uh sure I could think of some more, such a course junkie :drool:

Banff Springs.

the bucket list
Ireland- Old Head-Ballybunyon-Trelee

US-Cypress Point- all Bandon Courses-Augusta (of course)-Taking care of Torrey Pines next week

A buddy and I are doing a bucket list of playing every public course that has hosted a major. So far we have Cedar Crest in Dallas and Pecan Valley in San Antonio (I've played a couple of private hosts, but they don't count for this list).

Bandon Dunes
Pebble Beach
The Olympic Club
These are my top 3

Tomorrow, I'm playing TPC Harding Park which was on the list.

My top 5:

1. Augusta National
2. St. Andrews
3. TPC Sawgrass
4. Pebble Beach
5. Wolf Creek

Might be playing Augusta this summer!!

They were on the top of my list before I moved to Oregon. Bandon Dunes is honestly my favorite part of living in Oregon.

About 12 years ago, I took a road trip by myself up to Eugene, went over to Florence and then south to Bandon. It was a couple of weeks before Bandon was open to the public. My timing was jusssssst a bit outside as Bob Ueker would say. But, I did play some nice courses in Florence by the ocean and played the very first course I ever played on, Oakway, in Eugene (I was in college at the time) which was a nice memory. And to make it a complete ride down memory lane, it rained every day, except when I played a course in Ashland and then it snowed! hahaha

1-Augusta National
2-Cypress Point
3-Pine Valley
4-Oakmont
5-St. Andrews
6-Chicago Golf Club
7-Shinnecock Hills
8-Bethpage Black
9-Whistling Straits

So Doc, Oregon has a few of the top 100, and I've never been there.
I have this process where I open 4 windows... Weather, Travelocity, Hotels.com and the top 100 list.
I look for flights with good prices and the right combo of depart and return fkights, check the forecast and if those are good, find the courses I want to play.
This folllowed by logging them onto my Steets and Trips program to determine how to route myself.
Have found some flights into Portland, but the drive time to Bend kinda sucks.
Whats the best time of year for blend of weather and price, like a shoulder season?

Maybe fly to San Francisco, spend a day or two there, take the short flight to Eugene and drive the rental car to the coast.

1.) Augusta National
2.) Bethpage Black
3.) St. Andrews
4.) Whistling Straits
5.) Bandon Dunes (Hopefully later this year)

I took care of a few on my list last year (World Woods, Pine Barrens and Sawgrass) and took care of TPC Scottsdale Stadium last week (wasn't really on the list, but boom, did it) I plan on hitting Torrey Pines this summer and possibly Bel Air....

One of my favorite courses anywhere is Shady Canyon in Irvine, CA. Paa Ko Ridge in Sandia, NM isn't bad either.

My leftovers are all the Bandon Dunes courses, Pebble Beach, Pinehurst #2, Augusta National, Kiawah Island, Country Club @ Brookline, St. Andrews)

My bucket list is in two different categories Links-Style and Modern Style.
Links:
Bandon
Arcadia Bluffs
Ballybunion
The Old Course

Modern:
Augusta
Bethpage Black
Pine Valley
French Lick

Bumped for P4B, so he doesn't have to be a liar anymore.

Bumped for P4B, so he doesn't have to be a liar anymore.
Thank you!

I want to play Bandon Dunes with Dr. Teeth. I tried telling everyone I did play Bandon Dunes with Dr. Teeth but really I just didn't read slow enough and thought we were talking about where we'd like to play.

I want to play all 5 courses (maybe not in the same day) with Dr. Teeth. Me and the good Doc walking the course figuring out the world's problems....making birdies.

Back