Buddy going for a lesson.

Pops

Formerly Bbutler
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My golf buddy is heading to a lesson. He has spent a year and a half on the quest to get better. Sim time and YouTube swing guros. Has failed to improve. Swing is in a bad place all out of time. If this instructor can put his swing back in order he will have earned his pay. Have my fingers crossed. There are many great instructors online and via YouTube. However I think a person should stick with one. To many different theories and ideas. He watches them all instead of concentrating on one specific instructor. If that’s not bad enough he will study pro golfers swing and try and imitate it. Cross your fingers for him. He needs you all’s power and strength. A little Devine intervention might help also.

Last edited:
My golf buddy is heading to a lesson. He has spent a year and a half on the quest to get better. Sim time and YouTube swing guros. Has failed to improve. Swing is in a bad place all out of time. If this instructor can put his swing back in order he will have earned his pay. Have my fingers crossed. My buddy is the perfect example why YouTube and other instruction doesn’t help. He watches them all instead of concentrating on one specific instructor. If that’s not bad enough he will study pro golfers swing and try and imitate it. Cross your fingers for him. He needs you all’s power and strength. A little Devine intervention might help also.

My buddy is the perfect example why YouTube and other instruction doesn’t help.

....any chance that your buddy just stinks?

Maybe I should have worded that differently. There are great tips and instruction online. However I think a person needs to stick with one.

Maybe I should have worded that differently. There are great tips and instruction online. However I think a person needs to stick with one.

Well I think it depends. An experienced player has a much better chance of stumbling upon a great tip that may help them while a beginner may easily be overwhelmed and messed up by trying to take in too much.

Went back and changed it a little. He can play decent when I quits thinking. Oh and a few beers help.

I agree that you kind of need to stick to one or two things or instructors. Everybody does stuff slightly differently so if you are trying all techniques you end up with a result that is less than the sum of it's parts.

I agree that you kind of need to stick to one or two things or instructors. Everybody does stuff slightly differently so if you are trying all techniques you end up with a result that is less than the sum of it's parts.
My theory right or wrong is I’m old enough and have played long enough that the swing I have is what I’m stuck with. I use tips from one particular online instructor to help fine tune a few flaws in my swing not to rebuild or imitate any specific pro.

I get that. But your buddy may be in a different boat. Maybe he's not been playing as long or his swing isn't as engrained as yours. If you watch 5 different instructors and they all say to hold your club a slightly different way you obviously can't hold it 5 different ways. You also can't really mix and match one person's grip then another person's swing and another's ball placement. I feel it would just get confusing because you lose context when applying different things from different people.

Hope things work out for him.

Golf instruction isn't a "one size fits all" endeavour. It may take several trials before you find an instructor who you click with. I know it was true for me.

On the bright side, you will be picking his pocket for the foreseeable future. Guaranteed

My theory right or wrong is I’m old enough and have played long enough that the swing I have is what I’m stuck with. I use tips from one particular online instructor to help fine tune a few flaws in my swing not to rebuild or imitate any specific pro.
I pretty much feel the same way about my swing. Like me, it's old, it's mine, and I own it.

I watch You Tube videos all the time. Not to change anything about my swing, but more for an overall, general understanding of what's involved in the golf swing.

Imo, the biggest problem with You Tube, or any free golf instruction is that they are little more than teasers, and don't tell the whole story of what ever aspect of the swing they are showing. .

If one can find a good instructor and stick to it one on one and gets in golf shape (flexibility, etc), I find that method works best.

I avoid YouTube even for little tips. They screw me up. I am fortunate to live in a large metro area with good sources for instruction. Not everyone is so fortunate. I have a putting and short game instructor that I see once a year and a full swing instructor that I see once a month.

Remember that golf technique instruction should not be complicated and, or, especially time consuming. "Teaching a technique" should only take a few minutes or less.
It's up to the student to spend the hundreds of hours practicing, rehearsing, repeating etc... that technique, and very few players make this commitment.

Back