Budget Launch monitors... ES14 , Mevo , SC300

jfrigo1003

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Im open to other suggestions but what are your guys favorite/preferred launch monitor under $600. For at least the next month ill only be able to hit into a net at home so unfortunately that rules out the Rapsodo MLM. If it weren't for the net I think id lean towards the Rapsodo but right now thats not an option

Since I bought a mat and net I do plan to hit more balls at home overall compared to hitting the range once they do finally open back up. Spin isn't 100% necessary to track but it is preferred. After looking the past few days the early front runner is the VoiceCaddie SC300. I'm able to find a lot more reviews on the SC300 and Mevo, not so much on the ES14

And like I mentioned, I need to make sure the monitor works with hitting in to a net outside. The SC200+ looks cool too since it tracks swing speed without hitting a ball, would be really useful for my supersede training!

I liked the sc300 I had except if you have a bad swing it can’t tell and for all you know it was a huge hook or slice but it still shows up like a good hit on the monitor because all it reads is club head and ball speeds

I liked the sc300 I had except if you have a bad swing it can’t tell and for all you know it was a huge hook or slice but it still shows up like a good hit on the monitor because all it reads is club head and ball speeds

Same experience with the SC300 I just picked up. Only worked on 2 sessions so far. I will also say that being on level ground with your hitting surface is really important. My first batch I used I was on a slight downhill ( maybe 5% grade ) and due to the angle it was giving me really inflated apex heights and launch angles. Ball speed and carry distance didn't seem to be affected oddly enough. but maybe it was and I just don't know better. :) Other than that, the remote is awesome and being able to download the info into your phone/tablet app for tracking and perusing later is really nice.

See below for an example of the inflated numbers. My normal launch angles are 10-14 degrees and height of 100-120 feet per fittings done at a Trackman facility and numbers from a GCQuad. Once I leveled a spot it showed up much better.
Screenshot_20200331-085242.png

That's where I thought the Rapsodo would be nice to track the flight and film my swing if I was able to hit out on a range. However, tracking ball flight (left/right) would be lower on the list for me given the current situation of closed courses

Mainly since I have 2 new sets of clubs I haven't hit much, I want to get a general idea of distance and gapping

Same experience with the SC300 I just picked up. Only worked on 2 sessions so far. I will also say that being on level ground with your hitting surface is really important. My first batch I used I was on a slight downhill ( maybe 5% grade ) and due to the angle it was giving me really inflated apex heights and launch angles. Ball speed and carry distance didn't seem to be affected oddly enough. but maybe it was and I just don't know better. :) Other than that, the remote is awesome and being able to download the info into your phone/tablet app for tracking and perusing later is really nice.

See below for an example of the inflated numbers. My normal launch angles are 10-14 degrees and height of 100-120 feet per fittings done at a Trackman facility and numbers from a GCQuad. Once I leveled a spot it showed up much better.
View attachment 8934554
Awesome!! love the feature of tracking it. I would sync all the info to my iPad for reference later.... Do you have an idea of your typical spin numbers compared to what SC300 has shown so far?

Awesome!! love the feature of tracking it. I would sync all the info to my iPad for reference later.... Do you have an idea of your typical spin numbers compared to what SC300 has shown so far?

For my irons above a PW, spin numbers seem about right suprisingly enough. Driver and FW's are a little high but that could be the launch/level situation. I am reserving judgement on the spin numbers until I get my hitting matt delivered and I get it on a base that's level with the hitting surface. I've only hit 4i, 6i, and 9i. It didn't pick up the 9i probably because of the angle but got solid numbers with the other 2. Not many swings mind you. As I do more sessions, it should clean up a bit.

4i - LA: 16.7 deg
Apex: 110.9 ft
Spin: 4491 avg

6i - LA: 21.2 deg
Apex: 120.9 ft
Spin: 5951 avg

I have the SC300. Its ok

I picked up a second hand ES14 & for the most part it works ok. Has two modes, the regular app (free) for club testing or purchase the Club Fitting app which is pre-loaded with several head/shaft combos which you can add to.

Numbers have been pretty close to last couple track man sessions.

Downsides:

Three stand settings depending on club type (driver through 5i, 6-9 & wedges) so you can’t just switch clubs if you want to keep accurate numbers.

You have to select the club manually on the box each time as well as stand angle.

Sits in front of swing (manual says 12in forward & 12in right from the ball, reversed for left handers) so it can be distracting to the eye initially. Tried to get some swing numbers for a friend & his swing thought was don’t hit it (& he did which cost me a new stand).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the SC300. Its ok
Would you buy it again?? or look for another simulator knowing what you know now from experience with it?

I was impressed with the ES14. It gave very accurate numbers. It would have the odd misread but that was on crappy swings like topping a ball. For the price it is a good unit.

Would you buy it again?? or look for another simulator knowing what you know now from experience with it?

I would probably look into the ES14 or something with a little more data. But for what I use it for it works pretty good.

The new Ernest B1 might be something to look into as well. I called and asked for information about if it had a shot tracer on the app, and the guy said they are currently working to make a software update for it.

I would probably look into the ES14 or something with a little more data. But for what I use it for it works pretty good.

It does seem the people who have the ES14 have raved about it!

The new Ernest B1 might be something to look into as well. I called and asked for information about if it had a shot tracer on the app, and the guy said they are currently working to make a software update for it.
Thanks for this! I didnt even know about this model... Seems to be more what I would go for. I think id definitely prefer the monitor behind me. Just have to see if it works with hitting into a net

Have they said how it captures spin?

Thanks for this! I didnt even know about this model... Seems to be more what I would go for. I think id definitely prefer the monitor behind me. Just have to see if it works with hitting into a net

Have they said how it captures spin?
I have not seen any information on that other than using what the ES14 uses I believe.

I like it so far, need to setup a better net system to practice at home in the backyard.

Company has some good options out there depending on how fat your wallet is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@JB mentioned there will be something new and shinny that’s going to come out soon. Any word on that?

@JB mentioned there will be something new and shinny that’s going to come out soon. Any word on that?

The word soon will depend on user, but I have been pretty vocal about these devices.
I thought SC200 did VERY well for what it was.

I would call SC300 a bag of ****, but I think that is being mean to the bag of ****.
The Mevo and Mevo+ are completely all over the map that I think they do more a disservice than a service to the golfer. I wouldn't pay for those devices and I gave the free ones that we had back.

I believe we will see a couple of units in the future that will be what consumers want, especially internet golfers, but I do not think they are here yet.

Im open to other suggestions but what are your guys favorite/preferred launch monitor under $600. For at least the next month ill only be able to hit into a net at home so unfortunately that rules out the Rapsodo MLM. If it weren't for the net I think id lean towards the Rapsodo but right now thats not an option

Since I bought a mat and net I do plan to hit more balls at home overall compared to hitting the range once they do finally open back up. Spin isn't 100% necessary to track but it is preferred. After looking the past few days the early front runner is the VoiceCaddie SC300. I'm able to find a lot more reviews on the SC300 and Mevo, not so much on the ES14

And like I mentioned, I need to make sure the monitor works with hitting in to a net outside. The SC200+ looks cool too since it tracks swing speed without hitting a ball, would be really useful for my supersede training!
Skytrak! I know it’s out of budget but you can get it with your relief check!

The word soon will depend on user, but I have been pretty vocal about these devices.
I thought SC200 did VERY well for what it was.

I would call SC300 a bag of ****, but I think that is being mean to the bag of ****.
The Mevo and Mevo+ are completely all over the map that I think they do more a disservice than a service to the golfer. I wouldn't pay for those devices and I gave the free ones that we had back.

I believe we will see a couple of units in the future that will be what consumers want, especially internet golfers, but I do not think they are here yet.
What didnt you like about the SC300?? Other than 3 swings with the Garmin G80, ive never tried a personal launch monitor.... Spin isn't all that necessary so the SC200+ looks like a solid option also.

The Ernest monitors have pretty good reviews it sounds like too

What didnt you like about the SC300?? Other than 3 swings with the Garmin G80, ive never tried a personal launch monitor.... Spin isn't all that necessary so the SC200+ looks like a solid option also.

The Ernest monitors have pretty good reviews it sounds like too

Let's see what didn't I like.
Every other reading was off. I have tried 4 units and not one of them read the same.
Distances were all over the place. Spin wasn't even close. It was a giant flaming turd.

Ernest has its own issues, but nothing like the SC300.

Let's see what didn't I like.
Every other reading was off. I have tried 4 units and not one of them read the same.
Distances were all over the place. Spin wasn't even close. It was a giant flaming turd.

Ernest has its own issues, but nothing like the SC300.
Im not looking to go with anything crazy since it will just be for my own backyard use, but do you think its best to keep it simple with an SC200 or similar? Something mainly to focus on ball speed and carry?

Im not looking to go with anything crazy since it will just be for my own backyard use, but do you think its best to keep it simple with an SC200 or similar? Something mainly to focus on ball speed and carry?

SC200 out of everything you named was the only thing that was close for me in ball speed and carry.

Back