Bunker shots per round?

ForeOnFour

Leave no birdie behind
Reaction score
Handicap
After watching Patrick Cantlay struggle with bunker shots at the Valspar it got me thinking about how bunker shots can make or break many people's rounds.

My home course has no fairway bunkers but has green side bunkers on 14 of 18 holes. Bunker shots don't really bother me, in fact I prefer them to a short sided chip.

On average I only have 1.3 bunker shots per round since last august when i started keeping stats and can't remember the last time I didn't get out in one. To be fair most of these bunkers are less that 3-4 feet deep and aren't that big square footage wise. The sand that is in them leaves alot to be desired though. Being right next to the ocean they are usually hard packed and very very rarely are they fluffy.

So how many bunkers shots do you average per round and do you struggle, do ok, or excel out of them?

Most of the courses I play do not have a lot of bunkers, so it's fairly rare I find myself in one.

That said, I would consider my bunker play to be slightly above average for high handicappers.

I had 3 today, and that is probably not far off of average. I would rate myself better than average, today I got up and down on 1 of the 3 (put it to about 4 ft). 1 of them I was happy just to get out of the bunker in 1 shot, the other I left myself 12' and just missed the putt.

I was in one fairway bunker and 4 green side bunkers today. One of the green side bunkers was plugged in the lip, it was the only one I didn't get out of in 1 shot. Did manage to get up and down 2 times of the 4 green side bunkers.

My course doesn't have any fairway ones either. I think greenside bunkers are on only on 7 holes and I rarely find them as they are off to the side not in the line of play. I normally will spend a few minutes hitting bunker shots when the course is empty so I figure I don't suck at bunkers but I am sure I could be better.

Seemed like my round today I was in every fairway bunker... And they didn't bother me as I had no issue with ball striking to get them out, but having them go way farther than expected was a huge surprise.... Especially when those far ones, flew the green and by a lot. Had one which was about 165 yards, so I hit my 7 iron, and ball flew out like a rocket high and lets just say it went way past the green into lost ball territory. on the ones where I did not lose the ball, ball was noticeably way farther.

The course fequent has quite a few bunkers. Most of the time I stay out of them,but ever so often I end up there. More times then not I make it up and down

Sent from my SM-G900W8

about 150 bunkers on one of my munis which I often play. Most holes are doglegs and have bunkers on the inside and outside of every corner. Then most every green (all elevated) has at least 2. So there are days when you can be in many bunkers and even multiple bunkers on the same hole. I think 13 or 14 was the worst Ive had. Sometimes its comical because there always seems to be someone in a given 4some that will spend much of the round in bunkers and after a while it ends up being funny that no matter what they do they are in a bunker. Just not as funny when its my turn to have such a day.

I would guess 2-3 per round. Never practice fairway bunker shots so it's hit or miss. Green side I usually can get out.

Even though I'm a poor golfer I seem to avoid bunkers for the most part. It's not by design, as I don't have too much trouble with them and would often prefer to be in a bunker to other options. I'd estimate that my average is leas than two bunker shots per round.

I'm probably in 1-2 greenside or fairway bunkers a round. I'm usually ok out of them. I wouldn't say I'm exceptionally good. Also, some days it feels like I'm in all of them and some days I'm not in any.

1...I think the highest in 2017 is 3.

1 or less per round. I don't mind hitting out of them, mostly because I have gotten much better at it the last couple years.

Most of the courses i play have at least one green side bunker on a majority if not all the holes

Depends - sometimes it seems like I can go weeks without finding them. Other rounds 5 or 6 shots. Big time up and down pun intended

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found myself in 7 bunkers Saturday and 1 yesterday. I much prefer a fairway bunker than greenside unless I'm really short sided.

I don't track it but less than 2 bunker shots per round about evenly split between fairway and greenside. I grew up with a course that had 120 bunkers so I learned as a teenager how to play those shots. I would often prefer that over the greenside rough at my course.

It's completely course dependent for me. I don't belong to a club and strive to mix up the courses I play. But there are four I play most often; 6-10/yr.
The easiest course I'm probably in a trap about once every three rounds there max. The next easiest course I probably average around 2 to3 a round, 4+ 9n another, and 6+ on the toughest.
They aren't a major concern or score killer like 3 jacks, OOB, or dense trees are. I'm OK out of the traps, some days excellent.

Last edited:
Don't really count but I would guess 2-3 per round.

I have played many rounds without hitting a single bunker, but I played one round with @Moosejaa where I hit at least 20 of them, still scored relatively well so I guess they don't annoy me that much

I have played many rounds without hitting a single bunker, but I played one round with @Moosejaa where I hit at least 20 of them, still scored relatively well so I guess they don't annoy me that much
That was hilarious although you did play out of them really well...Good practice at least :)

I usually don't hit into bunkers very often but when I do it usually will take me 1-2 shots to get out. I have often gone from bunker to bunker during a round as well. :banghead:

Lots of fairway and green side bunkers on my two home courses. I probably average 3 bunker shots a round. Usually 2 green side and one fairway.

Irons out of fairway bunkers used to be my downfall, but I had a caddy recently and he pointed out that I needed to exaggerate keeping my hands forward to hit the ball first. It works like a champ!

Depends on what course I play, but for the most part don't hit all that many. Maybe 1 or 2 a round at most...unless I'm playing Cog Hill Dubsdred, and then it's just about every single hole haha.

Overall I'm fairly decent at them.

I don't know my bunker percentage down to the decimal point but if I had to guess, 1.13456789..but seriously in a given week of golf I may find 4 bunkers. I love bunkers and love the shots I am presented with.

Back