Buried in a bunker!

MNMarc

Reaction score
Adam Scott just had this lie in a bunker on tv and his shot went as expected. How do you play this bunker shot around a green?

Attachments

• 4C1AD4E2-4667-443C-A03A-6EF932FD7CAB.jpeg
    4C1AD4E2-4667-443C-A03A-6EF932FD7CAB.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 55
I close the face and blast it. It goes where it goes but I’m getting out in one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Close face, a little back in stance, and blast thru 2" behind the ball. But yeah I really have no idea how that would work out, depends on the density of the sand

Judging by the looks, that sand is pretty fluffy. Grab my Smart Sole S wedge and try to hit behind the ball in the right place.

You can always do the 'ole Reed-A-Roni!

8a85e50e66094f72967563d4dc13db1d_md.jpg

Hit the ball hard and hope.

This is a spray and pray... 1.5" behind the ball to move as much as I can and drive the ball...

Ps- wow nice tv, what model/size?

My bunker play is not the best, but I'm going to try to catch it about 1-2" behind the ball with the club still going down a bit and make sure I follow thru. Worst case I get it out of that lie but not the bunker.

Adam Scott just had this lie in a bunker on tv and his shot went as expected. How do you play this bunker shot around a green?
When I was taught by my local pro he said for these lies to take my most lofted wedge (lob wedge) and don't open it (keep the front edge square). He said to try to hit an inch behind the ball and swing hard and don't decelerate. It works for me and is different from how I play a normal bunker shot.

I haven't watched the coverage. Where was the ball relative the lip of the bunker and the pin?

I haven't watched the coverage. Where was the ball relative the lip of the bunker and the pin?
Middle of the bunker so lip really wasn’t an issue. Pin was about 15 feet on with a relatively flat green.

This is a spray and pray... 1.5" behind the ball to move as much as I can and drive the ball...

Ps- wow nice tv, what model/size?
85” Sony X950G. Bigger is better!

If I don't have to get it too high then I move it back a little, keep it square, dig in, and focus on a spot in front of and below the ball.

56* sand wedge. Open the face some. Open my stance in relation to the target. Dig my feet in. I'd try about a 3/4 swing and try to hit 2" behind the ball.

Or take a 2 stroke penalty and pick up the ball and drop it out of the bunker.

85” Sony X950G. Bigger is better!

Damn. I thought my 72” was adequate. WRONG! Nicely played sir. Sir large TV:)

I get ready to hit the shot and yell fore real loud. Every one will duck and I pick up the ball that throw it at the pin. Job done. Next question?

Square face, and just get a bit steeper than normal and blast it out

Had one like that a few years ago when I missed a par 3 green from an extremely elevated tee (wind affected the ball more than I thought) and the ball pretty much buried itself in the sand - got out and just missed the par putt

The crazy thing is that I had one of these yesterday. I cannot remember when the last time I had a fried egg bunker shot around here. I may not have played it right, but what I did worked as I got right on the green about 10 foot from the pin. I took a Vokey 58 m grind (not the best for a burried bunker ball) and laid into it and ball came up nicely and dropped with a small amount of roll. What I can state is there were SO many ways that could have went wrong.

I learned a shot a long time ago and it works quite well for buried lies. You grip the wedge of your choice with the toe almost straight down. Then with a very steep attack, hit 1 inch behind the ball and do not decelerate. The toe of the club will enter the sand and then twist in your hand that results in the ball popping up almost like a regular bunker shot.

I actually practice this shot by stepping on the ball in the bunker to make it real ugly. I close the face and get real steep with it to blast it out.

I learned a shot a long time ago and it works quite well for buried lies. You grip the wedge of your choice with the toe almost straight down. Then with a very steep attack, hit 1 inch behind the ball and do not decelerate. The toe of the club will enter the sand and then twist in your hand that results in the ball popping up almost like a regular bunker shot.
That's how I learned to hit the buried shot as well. (y)

58 Deg Wedge - close the face and swing as hard as I can hitting the sand first - it pops out every time.

Local course had no sand for years. In the fall of 2018 they filled them. The only problem was the used 1. The wrong type and/or 2. WAY too much.

The first time I hit into one on the fly with an iron the ball buried 4” deep. You could barely even see it. Instead of taking an unplayable I just had to see what it would take to get out. The answer was 4 strokes to get down to the ball and another to get it out. Ouch. They are now avoided like the plague. They’re playable if you roll the ball into one but flying into it is to be avoided at all costs. Luckily there’s probably only 8 greenside bunkers and 3-4 FW bunkers on the whole course and none of the greens have one on each side.

That’s about the only time I won’t shoot at a pin, when it’s anywhere near one of those bunkers.

I've seen this executed and it blows my mind.. I need to try it out

Back