Bushnell vs. Caddytek Review/Comparison

Brimstone

Mitch Cumstein
Reaction score
Last week I was trying to decide on a new rangefinder and I was confused by the number of options as well as the brands I know and lesser known brands that were available. Since I was interested in picking up a slope model, that put my Bushnell options at well over $300 and that was more than I was wanting to spend. I needed to make a decision as to whether I wanted to give up features for a less expensive version of a brand name. My solution was to buy one of each and then decide. I settled on a Bushnell V3 and a Caddytek Caddyview V2 w/ slope. To be honest, there were a few lower priced options and I chose the Caddytek based solely on looks. They have both arrived and I wanted to share my comparison.

Here are some side by side shots. The Caddytek is slightly smaller and weighs slightly less, but construction quality is surprisingly good on both.

comp1_zpsnvftwdlp.jpg

comp2_zpswhp2btnu.jpg

comp3_zpsgaaxee55.jpg

comp4_zpstpfcdmqt.jpg

I found the slightly smaller size of the Caddytek to be more comfortable to use.

Now, let's have a look through the viewfinders:

First is the Bushnell-

BN1_zps0szbpxoi.jpg

The Bushnell has a minimalist approach which gives you a flag icon (pinseeker mode) and a yardage readout in the lower portion of your view.

Next is the Caddytek-

CT1_zps10oy85u7.jpg

The Caddytek gives you the pinseeker icon with a larger yardage measurement at the top of your view and a smaller slope compensated yardage at the lower section of your screen. It also gives you a battery charge indicator.

It was quite difficult to photograph through the rangefinders, but these are fairly accurate representations. They were similar in clarity, but one thing I liked on the Caddytek was that the viewfinder has a micro focus adjustment which allows you to adjust for your eyes. The Bushnell is supposed to have the same type adjustment, but it didn't seem to turn as smoothly or adjust as easily. The clarity of both is better than is represented in these pictures.

I took measurements at a dozen different distances and they came up with identical results. I was able to measure distances to 1000+ yards with both rangefinders on houses in my neighborhood.

I did like the jolt technology on the Bushnell which vibrates when it locates the flag. The jolt technology is nice, but I really didn't have any trouble picking up flags at the range today with the Caddytek. I found the digital display on the Caddytek easier to read. Also, the Caddytek is 6x magnification versus 5x with the Bushnell, but it was a minor difference.

Mode adjustment:

bn4_zpsxbkan8lk.jpg

ct3_zpsultyb0hb.jpg

The Bushnell has a one button design and Caddytek has a two button design. I found both equally simple to use. The Caddytek has a mode where you can sweep the laser and it will give you changing measurements as you move between areas. I'm not sure if the Bushnell does this as it isn't in the manual and I couldn't get it to work that way.

I did find the texturing on the Caddytek nice and easy to grip.

What came in the box?-

Bushnell:
bn2_zpsplrfzywc.jpg

bn3_zpsfpc2vuap.jpg

The Bushnell came with a very nice carrying case with a magnetic closure, a protective sleeve for the rangefinder and a battery.

Caddytek:

ct2_zpswhxotbz9.jpg

The Caddytek came with a nice carry bag (not as nice as the bushnell) with a velcro closure. It also comes with a sideplate that you change to disable the slope function and make it tournament compliant. There was a small bag for the plate that goes in a side compartment on the carry bag. It also came with a battery.

The Bushnell has a two year warranty, while the Caddytek has a one year warranty.

The Caddytek is currently $164.24 on Amazon and the Bushnell V3 is $229.99 (both prices include shipping).

I'm going to take both units on the course a few times over the next week before I make a final decision on which to keep, but I'm leaning heavily toward the new Caddytek for several of the reasons I have noted.

Last edited:
Very nice write up! I had a tour V3 until last tuesday when it took a giant dump. The Caddytek looks like greta options dn it has a really good price, will be waiting to hear what you think after playing a few rounds with both.

Nice review/comparison. I'm a bushel himer and have the tour x which has improved ergonomics and have tried the v4 which is smaller and love both products.

Great job on this initial thought post.

Really looking forward to your on course thoughts.

Good post. Looking forward to following along.

Nice initial thoughts, looking forward to hearing your long term thoughts.

As an update, I have played a couple of rounds with both and I'm still somewhat undecided between these two. I will say that I like the Caddytek in every way more than the Bushnell except for the Jolt technology. I find the Caddytek picks up distances faster and is easier to operate. The Caddytek fits my hand better and seems to have clearer images than the Bushnell. Distances are dead on with both units. The place that the Bushnell shines is when there are trees or clutter behind the flag. The vibration when you hit the flag is a really nice touch. I have found that the more I have used the Caddytek, the easier it has been to know if I'm getting the right reading and if I'm unsure I will take a couple of readings on areas of the green and make sure they are close to my flag distance. I find the slope function nice on the Caddytek, but I could live without it.

I found it interesting that, while playing today, my brother-in-law would ask me for a distance on every hole. I would give him the distance and then he would argue that it was further. He would go find a marker and then admit that the distances were right on. After about the fifth hole, he admitted that they were accurate and he was bad at judging distance.

I will be out of town now through the weekend, so no golf until next week. I have four rounds scheduled for next week though.

Thanks great write up. I am in the market for a range finder and this was very helpful.

Great stuff here. Thanks for taking the time to write this up! IMO the battery indicator us a huge + for the Caddytek. Wish my Bushnell had that feature - it allegedly has a "low battery" indicator but I've yet to see that before it dies. Looking forward to hearing some more of your thoughts, too :)

So, I have been out every day this week and have been comparing these side by side. I have to say that the Bushnell is winning me over. The Jolt function really is very useful. I have more confidence in the readings and don't feel it is as necessary to take multiple readings to verify yardage. I also have found the slope function on the Caddytek mildly useful, but not enough to sway my decision. On solid targets, like a bunker or hill, they are exactly the same. Both are easy to use and read. It is when you are picking up distance to the flag that the Bushnell shines and that is kind of a big deal. Honestly, I like everything about the Caddytek better than the Bushnell except for the pin seeking. Is that extra bit of tech worth the added cost? I guess each person has to decide that for themselves. I'm going to take them on the course a couple more times this week and give the Caddytek an opportunity to win me back.

OK, so I guess I'm not that bright. I was not using the Caddytek in the correct mode and that is why it wasn't picking up the flags as easily. After I figured that out this morning, it was dead on with the Bushnell and almost as easy to use.

I also played at South Mountain Golf Course this morning and gained more appreciation for the slope function. With this very hilly course, I would often get 20+ yard differences between the distance and slope adjusted difference.

d7e7e7d2bab34a5860311160ff0835f5.jpg

Today, the Caddytek was the clear winner and the Bushnell will be going back to the store this afternoon.

Muti-mode and you can have it in the "wrong" one? Could you elaborate on that?
Thanks for the great write-ups ! :act-up:

Muti-mode and you can have it in the "wrong" one? Could you elaborate on that?
Thanks for the great write-ups ! :act-up:

There is a pin seeking mode (little flag icon) and one that allows you to scan terrain. I didn't realize that I had switched it. With the pin seeking mode you just hold down the button over the flag and it will pick up the flag specifically. I stopped getting false readings after switching back to pin seeking. The other mode is nice if you are checking bunkers, back of green, etc.

OK, so I guess I'm not that bright. I was not using the Caddytek in the correct mode and that is why it wasn't picking up the flags as easily. After I figured that out this morning, it was dead on with the Bushnell and almost as easy to use.

I also played at South Mountain Golf Course this morning and gained more appreciation for the slope function. With this very hilly course, I would often get 20+ yard differences between the distance and slope adjusted difference.

d7e7e7d2bab34a5860311160ff0835f5.jpg

Today, the Caddytek was the clear winner and the Bushnell will be going back to the store this afternoon.
Pulled the trigger on the Caddytek this morning. Appreciate the review, very helpful!

Great review so far Brimstone.

Thanks for the review! Been looking at both of these and wondered if there was a real difference or just a perception based on branding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back