Butterfly grip for chips and pitches

TLuke

Reaction score
Handicap
None
Ran across some U-tube videos of using a butterfly grip (super strong grip in lead hand/super weak grip in trail hand) for partial pitches and chips. Supposed to keep the club face more square throughout the swing. What the heck, I gave it a try last night. Probably the best night of successful chips/pitches I’ve ever had. Feels weird and uncomfortable at first, but was spot on for me. Supposed to be effective in bunkers, but no beach ball last night. Anyone of you tried this method?

I have not. Seems like it would indeed feel odd, just by gripping an imaginary club, at my Kitchen table.

Heard, and read about it a few decades ago. Gave it a try back then, but only as a grip to putt with.

Same premise as not letting the club face twist during the putting stroke. Something about locking the wrist in place. The wrist would act against each other's natural movements during the stroke.

It worked for a while, but eventually I moved back to a more conventional, very neutral grip. Later on I started chipping with a putting set up, grip, and stroke. Also works for shorter pitch shots.

Found this to be a more accurate, and better distance control way to chip for my game.

Back