Buy on sale golf balls and store for the winter

RobPam99

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok the season is just about over up here in Ohio. So I was looking at some good sale prices on golf balls and I was wondering if I buy a truck load now and store them for the winter will the balls still be good come next spring when the new season starts. I am curious do ball deteriorate over time sitting in their packaging or will balls lose anything over time just sitting? End of season sales seems like a good time to strike and save up for next year.

I can't imagine today's balls lose anything over a winter. Maybe over a decade or 2.
People snap up last year's models when they go on sale, and never notice a thing. They might not have the latest tweaks in the technology, but I sure wouldn't sweat deterioration. There's a ton of money in reclaimed water balls, and that's assuredly harder on them than sitting in your basement.

As long as they are stored in someplace without extreme temperatures, I think they would come out the other side fine. I've heard that prolonged exposure to big temp changes either extreme cold or heat can change the performance somewhat.

As long as they are stored in someplace without extreme temperatures, I think they would come out the other side fine. I've heard that prolonged exposure to big temp changes either extreme cold or heat can change the performance somewhat.

This guy knows his stuff! No wonder he is a MC Captain. I don't think you need to worry about it, I've bought a bunch of balls after their model year and have seen no difference.

This is what I was going to say. Even with extreme differences, one way or another...they should be good for the most part. Unless your storing them overnight in - temps then bringing them directly into a oven like building, they should be fine.
I would have no problem playing a sleeve of 2012 Pro V1's if someone gave them to me.

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Theyll still be good next year. Golf balls dont go bad that fast. I read once that golf balls dont start to lose their performance until they are at least 10 years old. I used to stock up on balls during the winter months but now I dont lose as many as I used to, so I dont really feel the need to stock up.

I totally agree the balls should last through winter. How many rounds do you play a ball before you put in a shag bag?

they should be fine over the winter, unless you plan on keeping them in the freezer overnight and in the oven by day for the next 10 years

Thanks everyone. My thoughts run along the same as everyones.

Theyll still be good next year. Golf balls dont go bad that fast. I read once that golf balls dont start to lose their performance until they are at least 10 years old. I used to stock up on balls during the winter months but now I dont lose as many as I used to, so I dont really feel the need to stock up.

I agree. I rarely lose any balls so I'm playing some that are three, four years old at least with no loss of performance.

Better yet, tell everybody asking for Christmas ideas that you want golf balls. I always start the season with a huge stash.

Better yet, tell everybody asking for Christmas ideas that you want golf balls. I always start the season with a huge stash.

That's exactly what I do.

Golf balls DEFINITELY do deteriorate in their box packaging, that's if you believe what TM said all those years ago when they were selling balls in vacuum sealed plastic sleeves :laughing:

Make sure you tell them which ones or else..

noodle15pk.jpg

I've still got Bridgestone B330's from a couple years ago, and they work great! I think the ball deterioration theory is kind of a funny one.

I'm good at loosing balls so I'm always playing fresh ones, lol! But I will likely stock up with the end of season sales for sure.

I have about 80 new golf balls just sitting in my house. This is because I find so balls at the course I don't ever get through them and need to crack a new sleeve. So, having balls from the tank or having balls from the grass that has been sitting there for a little while doesn't seem to have any difference in play compared to when I play Brand new ones. (granted they are in new ish condition)

Make sure you tell them which ones or else..

noodle15pk.jpg

Laugh about that ball, but it's actually one that I'd tell people I wanted. The Noodles are quite soft and have a nice feel off of the club face. Different strokes........

I do agree with the sentiment though. For me, insert a Top Flight and you've got the same idea.

Back