JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you a buy before trying person with equipment?

more often than I care to admit

Are you a buy before trying person with equipment?
Often times, yes I am. Without the benefit of having a legit fitting option here, there is a lot of cool stuff out there that I would not otherwise ever get to try.

I didn't try my driver, 3w, hybo, irons, or wedges before buying them.

Flying by the seat of my pants is how I like spending my equipment money.

Unfortunately, that’s a necessity living up here. We have one pro shop and they only carry TaylorMade gear in a limited capacity, and don’t do fittings. Generally, that’s why I start with used gear so I’m not forking our huge sums of cash just to try something out.

Depends on the club. Wedges, putter ..... then yes, I'll buy before I try. Drivers, irons definitely not. Have to be fitted for those (y)

Often I am. I’ve even bought cars and boats online without taking them for a test drive.:)

Yup. Prices are simply too good online, though I do try to narrow things down. I think that influences a lot of brand loyalty. I'm confident certain brands' ellipse for striking conditions matches my swing more than others, so off the rank without testing beforehand I'm still pretty confident I'm getting a decent fit.

I have been many times in the past. Much less so nowadays because I got tired of wasting money on things that didn't work out. I prefer to get fitted, or at the very least be able to try something out, before I buy it. The only exception in recent history for me has been the Callaway PM Grind wedge, which has turned out to be one of the best purchases I ever made.

Yes, although sometimes I wish I tried first

Usually I know what I want and will only blind purchase those items

If it doesnt go to plan I can usually either recoup the outlay by selling on or just pass it down to my lad to use

At times usually when I am bored during the winter. I bought my Maverik during the quarantine. My irons were fit though as was my 3W. My 5w I hit at a golf shop and my 4 utility I played on the course before I bought it. I guess I am a bit of a mix.

I am impulsive so yes. But I've also made sure I've tried before. It really depends on my headspace at that moment!!

pretty much

I am. But generally I have read lots of reviews and watched videos on the product.

Maybe... Sometimes.. What did you hear?

The only kind of "try" that tells me anything is playing golf with the club. So I have no choice but to buy first, then try.

Fortunately, I usually wait for used, closeout or new-old-stock clubs rather than paying a premium for this season's model. So I can either buy from places like Global Golf or Callaway Preowned that allow returns or buy cheaply enough I can sell the club on if it doesn't work.

Slapping a few balls off a mat into a net has never provided any useful trial of a club for me. So the few times I've done it and made a purchase, I've generally been disappointed.

With golf stuff definitely. I want the instant gratification of getting it.

Of course......that's why I'm here. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Never! Unless I need to have it right now or find a great deal or really really want something. I am weak.

The last time I did a blind buy was in 2012, when I loved a Mashie 2 hybrid so much I bought the 1 online. So it wasn't really a blind buy, more like introduced by a good friend. Before that, a set of Scratch wedges that same year that just did not work for me. I've learned a lot more about what to look for when I try clubs, and my preference is to try first
before I buy.

And if you do try a driver, make sure the face is not duct taped before buying it, said a "friend" who wound up owning a Nike SQ driver that way.

More often than not I will just get something before trying.

I'd prefer to try then out, but both my recent club buys (toulon las Vegas and mavrik hyb) were based off callaway rep suggestion based off the feedback I gave. Both are working pretty well for me, toulon a little more than the hyb

Yes, do it all the time.

I have purchased a lot of great Japanese equipment without trying and it is a risky caper and expensive too.... I'd not recommend it.

My putter that arrives today I bought without trying. If it’s clubs I usually try and swing em first(local GG). In the case of the putter I did not. My first driver and hybrids I didn’t try. Let’s just say I may have learned a little but not enough.

Back