Buyers remorse with clubs

I can understand that. Not so much golf wise (except one time when I bought a smaller brand driver full price and hated it then sold it for literally 20% of what I bought it for haha..........).

Def keep them. If its possible, scour ebay for a "new to you" set of Mizunos or other brand that would give you a little more confidence. Then every once in awhile, bring out the Hogans and give them some fresh air :)

I didn't mean to make it sound like it's the brand. I couldn't care less about brand honestly. I just think my old irons gave me more help on mishits. :)

I’m a great one to experience ”paralysis by analysis”. I’ll investigate things for WAY too long, even once i know the answer.... it’s ridiculous and quite often sucks the enjoyment out of a purchase, especially something fun... like clubs, or other leisure products.

So, I don’t find myself experiencing a lot of buyers remorse in purchases i make on or off the golf course, but as mentioned above, the tedious process i put myself through does tend to cut down on the excitement of said purchase.... i think a spur of the moment purchase might be nice one day!!

I didn't mean to make it sound like it's the brand. I couldn't care less about brand honestly. I just think my old irons gave me more help on mishits. :)

oh no. Didn’t take it as you blaming them haha. Just what happened for me. I love the brand that I was referring to. Just that specific driver was crap haha

I don't ever regret any clubs I buy but do have plenty of experiences where I realized a club or shaft wasn't my thing. I most of those cases I got caught up in hype and let the impulse buy mode kick in. I have worked to reign in that mode lately. It was not easy.

Takes a man to admit something like that. I shall keep it in mind when we interact. I have a few nieces and nephews with mild to moderate casss.

Salute sir! You seem like good people!!!

Don't need to keep it in mind or do/say anything. People would never notice honestly, and I promise you wouldn't notice. Most people just see me as a quiet guy.

I have a brother and son who both have it...more severe.
They have more difficulty than I do.

I'm in almost the exact same boat with the Hogans. I bought the black players combo as soon as it was offered. They do look really pretty sitting in a bag in my garage. But, it's going to take a lot of work on my swing to hit them with any consistency. I still game my Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals. Probably should not have invested in the Hogans.

As an aside, I still have my JPX EZ Forged irons.
I'm having the same thoughts with my black combo set, I think they'll be getting a full test this weekend as I've only been able to hit inside so far, will go out cold with them, not sure if arccos or not.

But my lord are they pretty

I could have a little regret with the Forged TEC from last year, wanted them based on solid reviews here and couldn't get the true love I was hoping for, most likely I wasn't good enough to make them sing (hope the hogans are not the same)

I was that way until I got my Apex 19 irons. My suggestion is to get fit. It costs a little more initially but if you are swapping here and there it really adds up. Maybe you get selected for the GD or the MC and you won’t have to worry about it.
I agree with @MattyD-MPLS. Fitting, I believe, with any club is absolutely needed as you're then placed in the clubs best for your swing, contact, and ability. It's helped me so much with inconsistencies as well as ball flight I'm not sure I'd ever not get fit again.

I agree with @MattyD-MPLS. Fitting, I believe, with any club is absolutely needed as you're then placed in the clubs best for your swing, contact, and ability. It's helped me so much with inconsistencies as well as ball flight I'm not sure I'd ever not get fit again.
I was fitted for both my Forged TEC & 919 Tour, TEC are gone.
I struggle with this sometimes as the big stores have all got some sort of quick change system that 'claims to be the same as when built but I'm not sold.
I don't disagree with fitting I just wonder how skewed results are during fitting vs clubs in hand

Every club I purchased in 2020 was later remorsed and quickly sold, with the exception of sim max driver.

Always looking for equipment to fix something but it can't overpower the awful swing.

That was my year as well. I got all horny for the Cobra Speedzone based on all the buzz. Sold my G400 Max to get it. I hated the Cobra. I also cycled through Cleveland Full Face wedges, and multiple hybrids.

I went back to PING woods and felt much better.

To be clear, I do not regret trying them at all. I'd love to get back to them eventually. They are AWESOME irons. Im just not good enough right now and I don't have anything else to go to iron wise🤣🤣🤣
Self doubt in this game is the devil. Read the bold, you are good enough to handle them, you just need to put in the work.

That was my year as well. I got all horny for the Cobra Speedzone based on all the buzz. Sold my G400 Max to get it. I hated the Cobra. I also cycled through Cleveland Full Face wedges, and multiple hybrids.

I went back to PING woods and felt much better.
I bought:
Odyssey #10 - made me worse
Super Hybrid - couldn't elevate it
Mavrik max 5w - nope
Sim Max driver - amazing
P770 irons (2020) - zero accuracy with them.
Sim TI 5 wood - fun but no good off the deck in my hands
Sim Max 4H - prefer my Big Bertha

Overall, not a good year for blind buying.
I have a full bag fitting scheduled in a few weeks to hopefully spend wisely this time around.

The only club currently in my bag that I bought without trying is the PM Grind wedge. I read the THP thread on it over and over again, pondered it endlessly, then finally bought one. Definitely zero remorse on that one - in fact, just the opposite, it’s my favorite club in the bag.

I'm having the same thoughts with my black combo set, I think they'll be getting a full test this weekend as I've only been able to hit inside so far, will go out cold with them, not sure if arccos or not.

But my lord are they pretty
I'm going to give mine some time. Even though I'm suffering some strong remorse from buying them, they are so pretty, Hogan's pricing to very reasonable, and they do match the specs (length, lie, shafts) from my last fitting (albeit, that fitting was 2 years ago). I can say that after buying them, I picked up a used Ben Hogan Equalier 50 degree and I love it.

I was fitted for both my Forged TEC & 919 Tour, TEC are gone.
I struggle with this sometimes as the big stores have all got some sort of quick change system that 'claims to be the same as when built but I'm not sold.
I don't disagree with fitting I just wonder how skewed results are during fitting vs clubs in hand
I get it. I feel the same way probably. I've tried buying stuff off the rack and it never seemed to fit me.... then I found out I needed a lie adjustment as well as different shafts that I wouldn't have known without the fitting.

I get it. I feel the same way probably. I've tried buying stuff off the rack and it never seemed to fit me.... then I found out I needed a lie adjustment as well as different shafts that I wouldn't have known without the fitting.
My fitting had shafts, lie angle the whole 9 yards, I feel like there's definitely something with the quick fit system & how that behaves vs the final club

I got a little carried away after my success with the Tour Edge HL3 3 ironwood and got the 2 thinking I would get a little more distance. Didn't use it much.

yeah sometimes i do. maybe even often. but so much of the fun is getting excited for something, unboxing it, then putting it in play. no it doesn’t always work out. maybe it rarely works out. but there’s a rush i get when i make a purchase and wait for it then get it, and that is often what makes the purchase worth it even if it doesn’t lower my score.

yeah sometimes i do. maybe even often. but so much of the fun is getting excited for something, unboxing it, then putting it in play. no it doesn’t always work out. maybe it rarely works out. but there’s a rush i get when i make a purchase and wait for it then get it, and that is often what makes the purchase worth it even if it doesn’t lower my score.
Nothing beats the known box shape sitting at the front door, even tho you know what's inside 🤣

Don't need to keep it in mind or do/say anything. People would never notice honestly, and I promise you wouldn't notice. Most people just see me as a quiet guy.

I have a brother and son who both have it...more severe.
They have more difficulty than I do.

I wish you all the best. Seriously not golf forum related. Seriously.

Generally don’t have buyers remorse other than buying a club I wasn’t fit for. Never again will I buy a club without being fit

Maybe give them, and yourself, more of a chance?

I like this sentiment. My first "good" set of irons were muscleback player's blades, that had the tiniest clubheads you can imagine. Way smaller than the Sam Snead Blue Ridge I started with. I had one hell of a time learning to use those irons, but I eventually did.

I've had the idea for some time that clubs like these can literally "force" us, or at least some of us, to become better swingers of the club. Let me balance that statement by saying that I was in my late teens, still living at home, and lived 5 minutes from a driving range that was cheap as all get out. Life circumstances do have a say. And, I had spent my hard earned money on those clubs and was bound and determined to make them work! I did NOT want to go back to the Sneads even though he was a hero of mine. The new clubs were probably swingweighted in the low D range, while I think the Sneads were swingweighted at about D35! They were "clubs" in the truest sense of the word!

I like this sentiment. My first "good" set of irons were muscleback player's blades, that had the tiniest clubheads you can imagine. Way smaller than the Sam Snead Blue Ridge I started with. I had one hell of a time learning to use those irons, but I eventually did.

I've had the idea for some time that clubs like these can literally "force" us, or at least some of us, to become better swingers of the club. Let me balance that statement by saying that I was in my late teens, still living at home, and lived 5 minutes from a driving range that was cheap as all get out. Life circumstances do have a say. And, I had spent my hard earned money on those clubs and was bound and determined to make them work! I did NOT want to go back to the Sneads even though he was a hero of mine. The new clubs were probably swingweighted in the low D range, while I think the Sneads were swingweighted at about D35! They were "clubs" in the truest sense of the word!
I second the statement. Upgrading to equipment slightly out of your league is how you get better. I moved from game improvement irons to players irons, and while I have struggled with certain elements of my current irons, I have certainly become a better player. I’m a firm believer, at least with irons, that whenever you upgrade you should look for one extra thing out of your irons that challenge you to become better

I’ll second that. I think I’m a 4.7 right now but there are days I can’t hit any club. It doesn’t matter the club. I’m either good. Or not. There is not “decent but left something to be desired” type days.

One good outdoor range session and I’m all in on my set. They gap perfectly for ma based on Trackman. It’ll take a round or two but I’m mostly all on this year.

I don’t know whether I should be encouraged or depressed that a 4.7 states that there are days he can’t hit any club. I’m like a high ”20-something“ and that describes me too. :oops:

As to the OP - Maybe you should just plan on keeping two sets? A trusted gamer set that you know you can reliably hit and then your new set you’re working towards. That way you always have a fall back set when you get frustrated with the new set.

Alan

I don’t know whether I should be encouraged or depressed that a 4.7 states that there are days he can’t hit any club. I’m like a high ”20-something“ and that describes me too. :oops:

As to the OP - Maybe you should just plan on keeping two sets? A trusted gamer set that you know you can reliably hit and then your new set you’re working towards. That way you always have a fall back set when you get frustrated with the new set.

Alan

Yeah, I think thats best. I don't hate my Hogans at all. I should have kept my other set too. So maybe it's not buyers remorse so much. Just regret not having that back up set handy

Back