Buyers remorse with clubs

lol I get buyers remorse the second after I hit submit order.

Who suffers from this?
I'm currently going through it with my irons. I bought some black Hogan PTX Pros because I have been lusting after them for a while, and after following the Hogan / UST experience, I couldn't take it anymore and I pulled the trigger.

I did this knowing full well that my ball striking, while improving, needed to get much better if I was going to have success with them.

I have failed to work on my ball striking like I told myself I would, so I am struggling. This is not a knock on the irons at all as they are beautiful and feel amazing when you hit them properly.

I got rid of the mizuno JPX EZ forged that I was using to force myself to stay with these irons and get better. It's not working out.

I dont want to get rid of them, so I feel kinda stuck and have buyers remorse now. Or is it sellers remorse for getting rid of my other irons?

Anyone else do this?
Maybe this was more of a vent than a genuine question. 🤔

I mean, look at the difference in 8 irons 🤣
View attachment 8996434
I’ve only read the first page, and trust me, I’ve been there, and I think most “aspiring mid cap internet golfers” have also.
I’m going to go against the grain here ( from what I’ve read so far) and give you some tough love.
Those irons aren’t going to work for you. You scratched an itch, but now it’s time to move on.
You were honest enough to admit you don’t test or get fitted, so here is your best option.... go to a chain store like PGASS and trade in the Hogan’s, or sell them on eBay. They’re a sunk cost right now, try to get what you can for them.
When you decide on the set you want to buy, do it at a place like the Super Store which offers a 90 day playability guarantee so you don’t find yourself in this situation again. If your new set doesn’t work out, you can replace them. (Btw if you pm me, I’ll give you a tip on how you can keep replacing them as many times as you want)
It’s not the end of the world, we all make bad purchases. Just don’t beat yourself up over it. Get something new. The minute those Hogan’s are gone and you get your new clubs in your hand, you’ll never think about them again!

Last edited:
I’d say keep plugging away David! If anything I think you are suffering from sellers remorse. The freedom of being able to switch back and forth between sets of irons is what creates these club hoarders on this site!

i went from a super forgiving muscle back to the Ptx Pros in Chrome and I’m having the same issues of keeping it on the center of the face or not feeling as confident at address. However I notice after about 20 swings on the range or a couple holes on the course I hit these bad boys pure and really have figured out a controllable ball flight.

what would you say is giving you the most fits with them?

I hope I can give you some hope and inspiration from my experience. At the graphite challenge event when I got mine, I literally chunked the ball all over the PGA National Champions course. It was beyond frustrating. I then struggled with the irons when I got home. I was a 22 HC at the time. But I stuck with them, and got them trimmed a bit shorter to better fit me, and just worked at it. I got down to a 16 HC now with those irons, and kept coming back to them even with other sets in my orbit. I have shot four rounds under 90 with them, and they are responsible for my 5 best scores.

I am a believer of having a set of aspirational clubs. I honestly think that most handicaps could play the PTx Pros. I also think that they are more forgiving towards the tow than towards the heal, so I would work on coming from the inside and missing on the toe.

My suggestion is to not go through an entire fitting, but find a good shop that can out you on a board and get you to the proper lie, and see if you have the right length for you. Those small things made a huge difference for me.

We have all been there my friend. I am probably more stubborn than most as I will play the heck out of clubs trying to figure them out, especially if I dropped the coin on new clubs. Used clubs not so much because I can almost always recoup what I paid for them. The PTx Pros are really good irons and are pretty typical of cavity back forged irons. I have been playing that class of irons for as long as I can remember. They do contain some forgiveness but not as much as most GI or any SGI irons.

Enter the beauty of the Hogan demo program. I know it is too late now but something to keep in mind in the future. As you can see from my signature, I am a big BHG fan. I have been eyeing the VKTR+ hybrids and UiHi utility irons since they came out last year but didn't really want to take a chance by buying them outright since I did not really care for the original VKTR hybrid or any other utility irons I tried in the past. Those 2 clubs, along with a GS53 Max driver, are supposed to be delivered to my house on Saturday for a 14 day trial period. $20 + tax was my charge for all 3 clubs. If I like any or all of them, then I will buy them without fear of not liking them and having to sell them at a sizeable loss. $21.40 is definitely worth that peace of mind IMO.

lol I get buyers remorse the second after I hit submit order.
Haha, this made me laugh. I know the feeling all to well

T100S is the only thing that cones to mind. Similar to OP, I lusted after them. Black, beautiful, loved the camber on the sole, and the idea of a little extra oomph at that time. Was a mistake. I demo's the T100 a bunch, but there are subtle differences I didn't like, and it wasn't long before the lofts weren't as good of a fit either. Had high hopes, but didn't love them enough to keep fighting all the things and then of course black irons devalue faster than just about anything, so I'd do that differently on a second chance.

Happens. I'm glad @ArmyGolf shared in here, because I actually thought of him when I read the post. Dude had a rough year of trying things. Seemed like every excited purchase soured. Glad you're going for a fit this time around Army and hope you have a little better luck.

Last edited:
A few years ago I bought a Callaway mini-driver. I hit a player partner’s so well on the course but couldn’t hit the one I bought for crap. Similar story with a Cobra oversized hybrid. Definite buyers remorse with both.

This thread reinforrces the idea I should hang onto my old clubs. I was going to give them to my brother-in-law. He can just borrow them when he's in town.instead. What I'm hearing from OP is keep ye ol' tried and true around as a battle tested back up plan.

I have been where you are David, and my biggest regret is probably selling a set of Taylormade R9 “B” head irons. At the time my handicap was less than 5 and I hit really good in the store so I bought them (birthday). First new set of irons I’ve ever bought..... I was elated. Razor thin top line in zero outside, they were pure if you get them dead centre, off centre that was a different question.

First season I played them play them really well and then started off the second year and just couldn’t make consistent clean contact. I knew somebody that admired them so I sold them to him on a whim. Went through another couple set of used irons that year.

I have played since then irons with same profile with no problem, it was just my balls striking got into a bit of a funk and I overreacted. The replacement irons I remember didn’t hit them any better so invested in a lesson. Had developed a simple swing fault and after one hour I was back striping the ball. I really wish I had taken the lesson right at the start because they were a beautiful iron.

I wouldn’t necessarily give up on them David, maybe get a lesson or 2 to help with your ball striking and once you get the confidence you might change your mind.

I don’t know whether I should be encouraged or depressed that a 4.7 states that there are days he can’t hit any club. I’m like a high ”20-something“ and that describes me too. :oops:

As to the OP - Maybe you should just plan on keeping two sets? A trusted gamer set that you know you can reliably hit and then your new set you’re working towards. That way you always have a fall back set when you get frustrated with the new set.

Alan

Do not be depressed. I closed out 2020 on about a 72 hole par string and my next score to drop is a -6 66 (+5.4). I’ll be back at my rightful place as about a 8ish in no time.

Do not be discouraged by me!! I’ll be an 8 unless I can drop a -6 my first round of 2021.

Frack I entered an event here and stunk. Bad. Ok, no biggie but I don’t like that I let my teammate down.

If playing golf for any length of time, it’s most likely you have had buyers remorse at some point. Heck, most likely have had buyers remorse with cars, houses, investments, wife’s, etc. It’s like “the grass is greener on the other side”, but sometimes it isn‘t when we finally get there. Don’t sweat the small stuff when making an equipment mistake, it’s happens to pros as well. And although I believe in fitters, I take them with a grain of salt as well to a certain degree now. I have been to two different fitters this year and both gave me different recommendations, even they aren’t perfect. I keep going back and testing the club on my own to see how it really feels with no one peering over my shoulder. You think pros make an equipment change after a one hour fitting session. The golf industry is just loving all us amateurs chasing spin, launch, angle of attack, etc. It just means more fittings and more changing of clubs chasing the magic fix.

Golf isn’t even my hobby anymore, it’s now become changing clubs and shafts chasing the eluded dream of 2220 rpm. 12.5 launch, 2* angle of attack, 110 mph swing speed, blah blah blah. 😂😂😂😂

I have plenty of driving irons and 3 woods that didn’t get much use on the course but at least my son has a great selection to choose from, lol.:) This year hope springs eternal and I’m confident the ZX driving iron I have on order will finally replace my Titleist from 2007.

The only irons that didn’t work out for me were the Callaway XR Pros and being stubborn I played them for two seasons before selling them. To be fair, it was really the lighter shaft that I was fit into and less the fault of the iron head design. I’m glad to say that I’ve kept all my other irons since 1980 except my Ping i3 Blades and all of them are still very playable. Each year I play one or two rounds of golf with my 1981 Taylormade Tour Preferred irons and my old Powerbilt Persimmon woods.

I can’t say I have remorse yet, as bought clubs at Christmas that haven’t been used except in the garage because UK shut all the courses on 5th January. Bring on 29th March when they open again and I’ll see if it was money for nothing..
The one I’m most interested to try is a cobra one length 4h. Feels so easy to hit at a net in the garage.. I hope that translates to the course..!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ive regretted getting rid of clubs yes...but never regret buying anything bc thats the fun part.

and since im sick in the head, I know if what I just bought didnt work out, then ill buy something else immediately and get double the fun!!!

I have plenty of driving irons and 3 woods that didn’t get much use on the course but at least my son has a great selection to choose from, lol.:) This year hope springs eternal and I’m confident the ZX driving iron I have on order will finally replace my Titleist from 2007.

The only irons that didn’t work out for me were the Callaway XR Pros and being stubborn I played them for two seasons before selling them. To be fair, it was really the lighter shaft that I was fit into and less the fault of the iron head design. I’m glad to say that I’ve kept all my other irons since 1980 except my Ping i3 Blades and all of them are still very playable. Each year I play one or two rounds of golf with my 1981 Taylormade Tour Preferred irons and my old Powerbilt Persimmon woods.
hahaha this sounds like me currently. I currently have a SIM UDI 18*, SIM DHY 18*, PXG gen 2 18*, New Level 18*, PXG hybrid 17*.....and 4 3w's plus original one mini driver

ZX driving iron will probably be what ends up in my bag with the ZX7's

what would you say is giving you the most fits with them?

Centered strikes for sure. If you don't hit them out of the center, or very close to it...the distance isn't there. Of course if you do, then they are just rocketships. So it's not as easy as just clubbing up.

I guess my secondary struggle would be how easy they make it to work the ball. I hit a natural fade and an a loose swing day, I can get it pretty close to a slice if I'm not careful.

I realize it's my swing. But it's not as bad with a more forgiving head.

I have felt a little remorse like this before, though thankfully no cash transaction was involved. Back in the day I purchased a Taylor Made R1 driver, and really enjoyed it. Played it for a couple years and was probably the best driver I'd played to date (and probably #2 ever behind my current B21). I wound up winning a brand new TM SLDR at a tournament I played in, and being the first brand new golf club I ever owned I was pumped. I wound up giving my TM R1 to a friend of a friend, passing along my good fortune. Unfortunately the SLDR and I never really got along and until I picked up my B21 I was very regretful of getting rid of that R1.

The only club I had any buyers remorse over is the Vokey SM7 60* wedge I got last summer. After reading here how common 60* wedges were and how useful they are, I decided I needed one in my bag. I’d never played with a wedge with that amount of loft before and I’m having a hard time getting used to it. Every time I got it out, it cost me shot. I just can’t adjust to how hard to hit it to get it to go where I want. I bought another SM7 in a 56* which I’m much better with. I’m keeping the 60, but it will be a while before I put it back in the bag on a regular basis.

Haha, this made me laugh. I know the feeling all to well

it drives my wife crazy because its not limited so much to golf clubs either haha

The only club I had any buyers remorse over is the Vokey SM7 60* wedge I got last summer. After reading here how common 60* wedges were and how useful they are, I decided I needed one in my bag. I’d never played with a wedge with that amount of loft before and I’m having a hard time getting used to it. Every time I got it out, it cost me shot. I just can’t adjust to how hard to hit it to get it to go where I want. I bought another SM7 in a 56* which I’m much better with. I’m keeping the 60, but it will be a while before I put it back in the bag on a regular basis.
I'm surprised there aren't more wedge stories in here so far. Just about every player I know has regretted a wedge purchase. Usually based on peer reports or advertising, and then realizing it just isn't for them.

Centered strikes for sure. If you don't hit them out of the center, or very close to it...the distance isn't there. Of course if you do, then they are just rocketships. So it's not as easy as just clubbing up.

I guess my secondary struggle would be how easy they make it to work the ball. I hit a natural fade and an a loose swing day, I can get it pretty close to a slice if I'm not careful.

I realize it's my swing. But it's not as bad with a more forgiving head.

I’ve had similar issues as well, although I’d say I can feel myself getting better and it has really tightened my course management as I know mis hits on harder shots are gonna get me in big trouble.

My plan is I’m going to thrift a good set of older well taken care of GI irons off Facebook marketplace that way if I feel like I’m slumping or losing enjoyment I can always bounce back and forth.

I more often have sellers remorse where I regret selling something before I find out if what I bought was a good fit.

Back