Buying a putter without hitting it?

mattglavin

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys, I’m really interested in the Evnroll ER9 putter but I can’t find one anywhere near Chicago to test. I’ve been fit at Club Champion in the past, so I know the specs I need, but part of me feels like it’s crazy to buy a putter without ever testing it. I know I can always return it, but anyone have thought? Ever bought a putter without hitting it? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done it, but I usually recommend testing them out first. Feel is such a personal thing. Here is a great video on this putter with Michael Vrska and Rife talking about the tech.

I have purchased putters too many times to count without first trying them. Would only do so if I was comfortable with the brand and the seller though.

I've done it, a lot. It's a risk for sure and I would say only do it if you are willing to potentially resell it later for a loss in the event you don't like it.

Done it and still do it....very seldom pays off!!!

I have bought my Seemore without trying it. Not ideal but hard to find them to demo.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

After having a fitting I’ll never buy stock again. It’s relatively cheap, usually applies some percentage to the cost of a new putter and it’s the most used club in the bag. When I did the sam lab we talked toe hang, grips etc and came to the conclusion my current gamer was plenty good, just needed a grip change.

If you don’t ever try one out before you buy you have very low expectations on feel and such. You can get used to anything. Worst case scenario. You hate it. It can be sold and you can try again. What have you got to lose except several hundred dollars.

I would not do it, did it once and never again. It is something you use on every hole, you need to know how it will feel.

All the time. IMO, its not hard to acclimate from putter to putter, may not enjoy it the most in the long run, but acclimation has always been easy.

But, I have a few putters. One or two. hehe

I have done it, but I usually recommend testing them out first. Feel is such a personal thing. Here is a great video on this putter with Michael Vrska and Rife talking about the tech.

Thanks! I wish I could find one to hit! It looks awesome.

All the time. IMO, its not hard to acclimate from putter to putter, may not enjoy it the most in the long run, but acclimation has always been easy.

But, I have a few putters. One or two. hehe

Same here but I don't have nearly the collection you do... I try to roll stuff if I can, but have definitely bought blind plenty of times. I've rolled the Evnrolls at a local shop and the ponder for an ER2 is strong, but honestly I've been doing well enough with my current putter that I haven't taken the plunge.

Putters are among the most personal pieces of equipment out there. Not to make it seem simplistic, because it is not, but you don't get launch monitor or distance readings from a putter as its about look, feel, sound and results. I know what style of putters work for me in the past with my stroke and will continue to do so. While I have not ordered a putter without hitting it at least once, I will consider it because I am a [marginally] educated consumer.

I prefer to test before spending the money

I've bought blind before, including my present putter. All I did was take a few practice strokes on the course with that day's playing partner. Never struck a ball but I was intrigued and eventually bought one on ebay.

Love it. So much that I just bought another in a different lie-angle to compare the two.

But...

I wouldn't recommend my way at all... soooo much better to test things out first.

I haven't, but then I've only owned 4 putters in the last 25 years...and one of those was stolen and I replaced it with the same one.

But putter hos do this all the time.

I have bought a couple blind. I have had mixed results with it, but would buy again without trying if something struck my fancy. It doesn't bother me too much buying before I try, but it would be smarter to try first I know.

I've done it. I was comfortable with the brand and I knew my size.

Ive done it a handful of times. Actually just purchased a Red Ball putter without seeing it in person. Did know I liked the insert though, from prior experience.

I haven’t bought one yet without testing it out. Too important not to. I’ve been tempted strictly on the looks of one but held out.

Would like to buy an ER5 but there are none around to try so I will not buy one.

If someone interests me I’ll usually jump but it’s rare that I’ll do it on brand new putters. Usually my crazy purchases are on the used market so when i move them I don’t lose an arm or a leg.

I think ive only done it once or maybe twice.

I think I’ve purchased most of my putters without hitting them first actually. Maybe similar styles/inserts, but I think out of most of the putters I’ve bought or traded for over the last few years were purchased without trying the exact head/insert combo prior to getting it.

Back